• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    First Focal Plane scope?

Who shoots a first focal plane scope ? What are your likes and dislikes?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I only shoot FFP and fixed-magnification optics, and have no particular regrets.

IMHO, the only downside to FFP is that if you're shooting at 1x and trying to use it like a red dot, you really need something with _good_ illumination, like a Burris XTR II DFP scope. The < $600 scopes don't really cut it for that usage. If you can't swing that, you may be better off with the larger reticle of a SFP scope.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If budget is an issue, money is much better spent on SFP with great glass. FFP means nothing if the glass is inferior.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I have that scope in second focal plane and I wanted to see the difference. So I ordered it today it is back ordered and I should have it after thanksgiving.

Since 25x is too much magnification to use most of the time, FFP is much better if you hold over at all. If you are dialing everything it won’t make much difference. Either way, they are both great scopes. I have the 5-25 on a Ruger Precision , a 3-15 on a JP 308, and another 3-15 on a Kidd Supergrade. All are FFP and I couldn’t be happier with them.

If there is any chance you will ever shoot precision style matches, get the FFP. I never expected to shoot matches and spent money on a really clear SFP scope, figuring I would never use hold overs. I started shooting some precision matches and now the scope sits in the safe as for most matches, you will need to hold over at some point.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Since 25x is too much magnification to use most of the time, FFP is much better if you hold over at all. If you are dialing everything it won’t make much difference. Either way, they are both great scopes. I have the 5-25 on a Ruger Precision , a 3-15 on a JP 308, and another 3-15 on a Kidd Supergrade. All are FFP and I couldn’t be happier with them.
    Thank you
    When I ordered the first one I put it on a 308 bolt rifle second focal plane the first plane was back ordered.

I oredered a first plane scope today and it was back oredered again, I will wait this time . It will go on a 223 blot fifle.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I've used both. Never made a huge difference to me. Ranging targets doesn't matter a whole lot, it's not an accurate estimation either way. Good to know though I guess.

I prefer fixed power scopes for long range, especially SWFA scopes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I dial elevation but hold for wind, so I like an FFP.

I am considering upgrading my Viper PST Gen 1 to a Gen 2.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I dial elevation but hold for wind, so I like an FFP.

I am considering upgrading my Viper PST Gen 1 to a Gen 2.

The Gen II is completely different than the Gen I, and a huge improvement. The zero stop is great, the lower profile turrets are nice and the elevation per rotation is much better. I also like the reticle options better in the Gen II. I have a HST and PST Gen I, the only problem is that it seems like no one wants them anymore or they will only pay $500 for them. I have two Gen IIs in SFP, The only advantage of the FFP for me is when I have to alternate shots between two distances. I can use the hold overs at any mag and they will be consistent. With the SFP unless I'm on 25X power I will have to dial up and down, losing time in the process. The reticle in the Gen II SFP has a fairly fine crosshair which is good. At 5X the reticle isn't really useable.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Paying > $500 for a scope not made in Japan, the USA, Germany, or the Czech Republic doesn't make sense to me. Like... you've got plenty of options out there with excellent lifetime warranties, I don't know why people are always fawning over Vortex's Phillipines-made scopes at the price level they're at.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Paying > $500 for a scope not made in Japan, the USA, Germany, or the Czech Republic doesn't make sense to me. Like... you've got plenty of options out there with excellent lifetime warranties, I don't know why people are always fawning over Vortex's Phillipines-made scopes at the price level they're at.

What scope would you buy for around $1000 that has all the same features and has a full lifetime warranty? Just curious, and not all the Vortex scopes are made in the Philippines.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Burris XTR II series comes to mind right away. I understand that not all of Vortex's optics are made in the Phillipines, but the Viper PST Gen2 scopes certainly are.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I took a Leupold off the rifle to put a vortex. For the money not much comes close. Nightforce is way more Schmit and Bender is way more.
    Do you own a vortex ? Or have shoot one 50+ rounds ?

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Burris XTR II series comes to mind right away. I understand that not all of Vortex's optics are made in the Phillipines, but the Viper PST Gen2 scopes certainly are.

The only thing Burris that I Have is a little red dot fast fire III it is nice I have never really shot there scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What advantages does the Burris have over the Vortex? The biggest thing I see is the 34mm main tube/elevation travel. The 58mm objective bell is kind of large. Does the XTR II have a zero stop? I use my PST Gen II for .22 shooting and being able to focus down to 25yds is a bonus over the 50yds on the Burris. How does the glass compare? I think the PST glass is pretty good, not great in low light but useable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom