• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have been considering the LCR and just discovered the sp101.

Range and self protection. I have a Glock 19 personally and she shoots it very well but prefers a revolver for protection.

I had looked at the lady Smith but I'm still back and forth on exposed hammer or internal hammer. Opinions?

I really like the Ladysmith with exposed hammer. Convinced my ex to get one. I could shoot the heck out of it but she didn't like it. Too snappy for her she said. She preferred her 686 w/38specials.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I AM a revolver guy . The concept of " get a snubnose for the wife, because they are small & cute, and she's a girl " is a major red flag .

Is your wife experienced with revolvers generally ? With small frame snubs specifically? For anyone a lightweight snub is not a good choice for a first revolver ( or first handgun ).

Making a leap she's not experienced Revolver Lady , and because range fun was also listed , I will further join the chorus for the SP101 . Great guns , very shootable as snubs go . ( Yes , I continue my lust affair with 2in RB K frames . But you would have to search for one, and then wrestle a S&W collector over it .

Of the guns listed in first post , * I * would like a M637 to take the place of my previous M37 , but it's a " carry a lot, shoot a little " gun . The steel frame Taraus M85 is on the short list of guns that Taraus has done long enough , they have figured out.

I default prefer traditional hammer . If nothing else , I prefer holsters with thumbreak, etc , and traditional styled guns fit , and are secured better. And long ago I learned how to minimize snagging issues with traditional hammer spurs .

She grew up shooting a snubby model 85 so I had considered that but everyone seems to say stay away from the new ones. I have a Glock 19 that she's put prob 1000 rounds through and shoots it really well.

Let her rent and shoot a 4 inch and a snub nose both. You might find she (maybe quickly) changes her mind.

That's the goal lol.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/720339980

Mr. Jones on a side note this auction may be worth watching. The revolver isn't in collector condition with the lack of original grips, very minor pitting, and no original box should keep the price down. this gun should go for less than 450. I know that's a little higher than you mentioned but other than that it meets all your requirements AND has that cool factor of the shroud. It's the all steel bodyguard so that should help a little with the recoil. You can still fire in both modes making it easier or your wife. You mentioned a possible SD gun and with it having very minor pitting already than who cares if it lays in a bedside table.

Watching it now. Thanks!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Find a nice Colt Detective Special or Agent. The Dick Special has a steel frame while the Agent has an aluminum frame. They are both excellent revolvers and available in .32 caliber as well as .38 Special. A Cobra is fine as well but the Agent is the same gun but comes with somewhat shorter stocks and is less expensive due to not being a "snake" gun. They also have an advantage the competition doesn't...they each have a six round capacity rather than five in a barely larger package.

Some people will tell you a Colt is fragile...nothing is further from the truth. Their action is well proven. The only real downside is not all gunsmiths are well-versed in their action should they require service at any point.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Brother man.....I'll jump in on this too.....The small 38 is hot and snappy, my wife wont even touch the thing after one shot. You may want to go with the suggestions of a large frame 38 for her.....Hit me up, we can take her shooting and let her try out whatever she wants.

Pete

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Why? Just curious.
    Sorry for late reply. It helps when my wife was getting used to recoil. In SA it is the lightest trigger pull. Later she started DA which in defensive moments you must master. Of course in a defensive situation you can use SA also but under stress it may lead to a premature discharge. She now practices DA but is loving her Kimber Solo Compact with a Crimson trace.
    Oh and we used to have snub nose matches in Wisconsin and I could clear a bowling pin table by hitting a Quarter sized area at the top. To say they are inaccurate is misleading. It has more to do with the preciseness of the shooter using such a short sight radius. Snubs are more than adequate for +p 38 no so much for .357 mags. There I would go with 4inch.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have been considering the LCR and just discovered the sp101.

Range and self protection. I have a Glock 19 personally and she shoots it very well but prefers a revolver for protection.

I had looked at the lady Smith but I'm still back and forth on exposed hammer or internal hammer. Opinions?
    If it's ever going to be carried concealed a shrouded hammer is much better

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    No, single/double only refers to trigger operation. Every revolver is double action as the hammer must be cocked and then released (two actions). Single action simply means you can manually cock the gun then release with the trigger (single operation by the trigger), and must be done manually for every shot.
    A single action revolver (yes they exist) must be cocked before each shot. Other revolvers are doubled action or double action only. A double action revolver can be fired in single action mode by cocking the hammer before each shot.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Find a nice Colt Detective Special or Agent. The Dick Special has a steel frame while the Agent has an aluminum frame. They are both excellent revolvers and available in .32 caliber as well as .38 Special. A Cobra is fine as well but the Agent is the same gun but comes with somewhat shorter stocks and is less expensive due to not being a "snake" gun. They also have an advantage the competition doesn't...they each have a six round capacity rather than five in a barely larger package.

Some people will tell you a Colt is fragile...nothing is further from the truth. Their action is well proven. The only real downside is not all gunsmiths are well-versed in their action should they require service at any point.

I love the colts but they're out of the budget lol.

I was patient not too long ago and scored a Colt Cobra (previous, not current model) for $425. It's a damn fine gun. Pretty too.

Hell of a deal.

Brother man.....I'll jump in on this too.....The small 38 is hot and snappy, my wife wont even touch the thing after one shot. You may want to go with the suggestions of a large frame 38 for her.....Hit me up, we can take her shooting and let her try out whatever she wants.

Pete

I forgot about your collection lol. I'll shoot you a text in a min and we will figure out a day. That would be perfect for her to try many. She says now she's not set on a snubby so that's good.

Sorry for late reply. It helps when my wife was getting used to recoil. In SA it is the lightest trigger pull. Later she started DA which in defensive moments you must master. Of course in a defensive situation you can use it also but under stress it may lead to a premature discharge. She now practices DA but is loving her Kimber Solo Compact with aCrimson trace.

Mine has been shooting for awhile and doesn't flinch on recoil even from magnum loads. Hell, she shoots better than I do lol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Post #22 , 2987 reports his wife grew up shooting M85 , tip of the hat to her, and salute from Mrs Biggfoot, who shoots only revolvers .

Since she already likes the general platform , used S&W M36 can be found in price range of new Taraus M85.

And I will stick with original nod to SP101 . Slightly larger j heavier than the Tauras and J frames, but not seriously so except for ankle or tight pockets . But the SP101 is smallest revolver to be potentially useful as a real gun , with actual .357 .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Post #22 , 2987 reports his wife grew up shooting M85 , tip of the hat to her, and salute from Mrs Biggfoot, who shoots only revolvers .

Since she already likes the general platform , used S&W M36 can be found in price range of new Taraus M85.

And I will stick with original nod to SP101 . Slightly larger j heavier than the Tauras and J frames, but not seriously so except for ankle or tight pockets . But the SP101 is smallest revolver to be potentially useful as a real gun , with actual .357 .

Great advice here. If you insist on a .38spl, this is the way to go.

I'd recommend considering getting a .22LR first, mostly for the training effect. Once she has 500-1000 quality training shots experience with it, only then would I consider a higher caliber. SP101 would be my recommendation too. Although the LCR is a great (DAO) choice too. LCR comes in 22LR, 22WMR, 38, 9mm, 357. They have some 'x' models that are single/double action; worth a look too.

If this is purely for home defense and no chance of carrying in public, also consider the Circuit Judge, its essentially a big revolver with a stock and longer barrel. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/5/22/the-rossi-circuit-judge/

2012522113255-rossicircuitjudge_f.jpg

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    A single action revolver (yes they exist) must be cocked before each shot. Other revolvers are doubled action or double action only. A double action revolver can be fired in single action mode by cocking the hammer before each shot.

This would be a great carry gun, 357mag. In your brand too!

5126.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Great advice here. If you insist on a .38spl, this is the way to go.

I'd recommend considering getting a .22LR first, mostly for the training effect. Once she has 500-1000 quality training shots experience with it, only then would I consider a higher caliber. SP101 would be my recommendation too. Although the LCR is a great (DAO) choice too. LCR comes in 22LR, 22WMR, 38, 9mm, 357. They have some 'x' models that are single/double action; worth a look too.

If this is purely for home defense and no chance of carrying in public, also consider the Circuit Judge, its essentially a big revolver with a stock and longer barrel. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/5/22/the-rossi-circuit-judge/

2012522113255-rossicircuitjudge_f.jpg

If she has shot tons of rounds through his G19 and "grew up shoooting a model 85" why would you "recommend" her getting a 22? It appears she is quite capable. Also Rossi doesn't make a 38/357 circuit judge to my knowledge, only 45LC/410. He would literally have to buy 2 guns and 3 calibers none of which match his OP :sad20:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I regripped the Cobra. :sad20: ...which isn't in this pic...can't edit or delete pic. Sorry

Try second pic.:)

Great gun show there...nice!

I had a chance to pick up a 1960s Colt just like yours at the Easton Gun Show for $400 two weeks ago from a walkaround who had just arrived. Passed because of other priorities but that gun was bought in minutes.

If it's ever going to be carried concealed a shrouded hammer is much better

Yup, one of my favorite CCW choices below hides in the protective shadow of one my favorite Open Carry 5-shots—when hammer snagging ain’t a concern.

This shrouded hammer model is a stainless steel frame, which adds weight for Carry, but helps with recoil.

Attachments

• DA938607-4CA7-4C5B-8231-2247EFC42F64.jpg
      DA938607-4CA7-4C5B-8231-2247EFC42F64.jpg
      116.6 KB · Views: 142

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hey guys, looking to purchase a snub nosed .38 revolver for my lady for Christmas. I'm looking to stay around $400 or less.

I'm leaning towards the Taurus 85 or the S&W 637 or Bodyguard 38.

Suggestions? Comments? Other options you have experience with?

If she has shot tons of rounds through his G19 and "grew up shoooting a model 85" why would you "recommend" her getting a 22? It appears she is quite capable. Also Rossi doesn't make a 38/357 circuit judge to my knowledge, only 45LC/410. He would literally have to buy 2 guns and 3 calibers none of which match his OP :sad20:

I only read the Original Post, didn't read the thread. I did recommend the SP101 first, then a .22LR if not experienced; looks like you are saying she has some experience. Doesn't Rossi make a 357/38 version? I'll look it up, thx.

*edit* The SP101 retails for just over $700, so the OP is likely looking at used, or a less popular snubby. Also, Rossi doesn't make a Circuit Judge in .38/357; that's too bad.

I'd spend the extra money and go with the SP101:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I only read the Original Post, didn't read the thread. I did recommend the SP101 first, then a .22LR if not experienced; looks like you are saying she has some experience. Doesn't Rossi make a 357/38 version? I'll look it up, thx.

MSI prefers the ladies carry a Chiappa Rhino with laser. Green laser, (not red) and baby in tow preferred.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown

I'm leaning very heavily towards the Ruger SP101. Now...2.25" barrel or 3"? Mostly will be used for HD if my glock is out with me and occasionally at the range. If it ever is carried concealed by her it will be OWB under a jacket or shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom