minimum age for wear/carry permit? head scratcher...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i have made several attempts to find the answer here as i don't want to "dupe" again, with no luck. it was to my understanding that you had to be at least 21 years of age to own and possess a regulated firearm in this state, YET, this come onto the radar as per the state police website:
    **ATTENTION: Before you may legally wear and carry a regulated firearm, you must possess and maintain on your person the MSP-issued Handgun Wear and Carry Permit. Submission of the application does not authorize you to wear, carry, or transport a handgun.

Training must be successfully completed prior to submitting the application, unless you are exempt from training. Please click here for information on Wear and Carry Permit Training

Who Should Apply?

Wear and Carry Permits may be issued to any adult (18 years of age or over) who meets the following criteria:

Has not been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor for which a sentence of imprisonment for more than one year has been imposed; or convicted of a criminal offense for which you could have been sentenced to more than 2 years incarceration.
    Has not been convicted of a crime involving the possession, use, or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance;
    Is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance unless under legitimate medical direction;
    Based on an investigation, has not exhibited a propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render the person’s possession of a handgun a danger to the person or others;
    Has a good and substantial reason​ to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against danger.
    As of October 1, 2013, has successfully completed the Maryland State Police approved firearms training course within 2 year prior to submitting the original or renewal application.
    link here: http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

in furthering my research, this comes up from the ATF:
    **Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?

Yes. Under the Gun Control Act (GCA), shotguns and rifles, and ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 18 years of age or older. All firearms other than shotguns and rifles, and all ammunition other than ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 21 years of age or older. Licensees are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA regardless of State or local law. However, if State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age for the purchase or disposition of firearms, the licensee must observe the higher age requirement.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1) and (b)(2); 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

Last Reviewed September 23, 2016

link here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/doe...rtain-age-buy-firearms-or-ammunition-licensee

a real headscratcher. anyone have anything else on this? thank you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, 18yo for W&C .

By longstanding SOP, business purposes only for under 21. They can't purchase, but can be issued to them by employer.

As as practical matter, no security related company will arm an under 21 due ti insurance concerns, so this would probably typically involve a family owned small business.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• age for permit.JPG
      age for permit.JPG
      12.4 KB · Views: 335
    • age.jpg
      age.jpg
      12.7 KB · Views: 325

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Let's look a little closer at this apparent dicotomy between being able to purchase a handgun and having W&C Permit. Many of us here think that carry is a culmination of being really, really into guns. But particularly in Md, that ain't necessarily so.

Go back to the MSI website and presumably still has the link to the data from a few years ago breaking out (among other things) the occupations of the then outstanding W&C Permit holders. Eliminate the retired LE and Corrections, and active off duty Corrections. A big percentage of what's left is security gaurds, special police, armoured car crewmembers, private investagators, and railroad police.

Many of those folks are required by their job to carry the issued firearm. Even those not explicitly required, 100% of them have one available to be used provided by their employer.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I was recently educated on this subject. In addition to being eligible for a permit at 18, you only have to be 21 to PURCHASE a handgun. That means 18-21 can legally OWN a handgun if inherited or gifted by parent/grandparent (and I think maybe other immediate family, -> siblings.)

Fox Mike

Apr 24, 2010
    Havre de Grace
    I was recently educated on this subject. In addition to being eligible for a permit at 18, you only have to be 21 to PURCHASE a handgun. That means 18-21 can legally OWN a handgun if inherited or gifted by parent/grandparent (and I think maybe other immediate family, -> siblings.)

Which, once again, makes absolutely no sense, but then we ARE in Maryland. Many things here don't make sense.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    On a somewhat related note...
    I believe one of the New England states issues handgun permits to any responsible citizen over 18.

Utah only issues permits to responsible citizens over 21, but under state law honors all other states permits.

May have some details wrong, but you get the idea.

A 19 year old from Vermont can concealed carry in Utah, but a 20 year old resident may not.

We need to make the RKBA great again and focus on violent gun criminals with guns and mandatory 5-10 year jail sentences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is similar as to why GA just got sued by VCDL.

VA would not recognize GA permits issued to people under 21 even though VA recognizes the GA permit. GA refused reciprocity

ETA_I thought that when you are in another state, you must abide by the laws of that state. If carry for under 21 is illegal, then the fact your have a permit from another state that allows it when in your home state wouldn't seem to make it legal in a state where it's prohibited.

But IANAL

Attachments

• complaint.pdf
      147 KB · Views: 77

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    This is similar as to why GA just got sued by VCDL.

VA would not recognize GA permits issued to people under 21 even though VA recognizes the GA permit. GA refused reciprocity

ETA_I thought that when you are in another state, you must abide by the laws of that state. If carry for under 21 is illegal, then the fact your have a permit from another state that allows it when in your home state wouldn't seem to make it legal in a state where it's prohibited.

But IANAL

It's simple really.

If it's not illegal under federal, state or local law, it is permitted.

If the law says the state honors all other states' permits AND it is illegal to conceal a firearm without a permit from your home state, then...

It doesn't matter to non-residents that the state in question only issues permits to those 21 and over.

Just like active duty military can still conceal with orders, as they are exempted, even if they are only 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Which, once again, makes absolutely no sense, but then we ARE in Maryland. Many things here don't make sense.

Mostly true in TN as well. Federal law requires you to be 21 to buy/sell a firearm through an FFL but only 18 to carry / use and face to face xfer. Since MD also regulates face to face I don't know if someone can do a xfer though the MSP or not but can't buy through an FFL.

Thanks
    Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom