SBR OAL-8.5" with longer stock to get 29" or 10.5"and stand stock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thai

May 8, 2013
    I was wondering what is the consensus of going with an 8.5" SBR with longer buffer tube, thicker butt pad, and large stock to comply with the 29" rule , OR-
    Keep the standard configure stock and stay with a 10.5" barrel.

Personally I would prefer the benefit of the 10.5". With the modification to get an 8.5" to comply, I don't see any benifit, and you have additional weight and bulk to detract from looks and is cumbersome.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Your instincts are correct. I own both an 11.5" AR-15 SBR (standard stock) and a pre-ban 8.25" AR-15 SBR (with NEA CCS stock). 8.25" guns are toys in general, and the only reason to have one is to minimize OAL... which you can't do anymore anyways.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was wondering what is the consensus of going with an 8.5" SBR with longer buffer tube, thicker butt pad, and large stock to comply with the 29" rule , OR-
    Keep the standard configure stock and stay with a 10.5" barrel.

Personally I would prefer the benefit of the 10.5". With the modification to get an 8.5" to comply, I don't see any benifit, and you have additional weight and bulk to detract from looks and is cumbersome.

You can go shorter than 10.5" by going with a particular Vltor stock(not sure of model) and pinning and welding your muzzle device. 10.5" is considered minimal standard for 5.56 ballistic efficiency though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can go shorter than 10.5" by going with a particular Vltor stock(not sure of model) and pinning and welding your muzzle device. 10.5" is considered minimal standard for 5.56 ballistic efficiency though.
    10.5" is not acceptable, IMHO, in terms of ballistic efficiency. It's simply the shortest length where you are not inviting problems with your gas system (and can run carbine length).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    10.5" is not acceptable, IMHO, in terms of ballistic efficiency. It's simply the shortest length where you are not inviting problems with your gas system (and can run carbine length).

I did say minimal not optimal.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I did say minimal not optimal.
    I understand, but I think it's on the edge of minimal. I've spent a lot of time lately screwing around with ballistics calculators for my 10" Sig 556, and the velocity loss starts having serious consequences for 5.56x45 trajectory even without considering lower-velocity terminal effects. If it makes you feel better, I have relatively similar feelings about my 11.5" Colt Commando clone.

IMHO, the M4 got this one right (probably by accident).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I understand, but I think it's on the edge of minimal. I've spent a lot of time lately screwing around with ballistics calculators for my 10" Sig 556, and the velocity loss starts having serious consequences for 5.56x45 trajectory even without considering lower-velocity terminal effects. If it makes you feel better, I have relatively similar feelings about my 11.5" Colt Commando clone.

IMHO, the M4 got this one right (probably by accident).

I'll not argue with ya there. It becomes pretty evident by the size of the fireball when shooting them.:)

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I recently submitted my Form 1 for a 10.5 barrel on a 5.56 platform knowing I would probably end up with something longer. I figured I may as well submit for the minimum and could easily go longer.

While doing my research I found this article that had some interesting data:
    http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

This was an interesting quote (my bold emphasis):

The maximum velocity for the M855 projectile occurred in a 20-inch barrel. This is anticipated since the cartridge was designed specifically for this barrel length. Velocity drops rapidly as the barrel length decreases, especially below 10 inches where the velocity drops below 2,500 fps. M855 bullets traveling below 2,500 fps when impacting a target will not produce a lethal wound channel.

The article also mentions suppressor life problems on shorter barrels.

One of the authors has measured port pressures in the entrance chamber of one of his company’s 5.56mm suppressors with both a 14.5 inch and 10.5 inch barreled HK416, and there was a 50% increase in suppressor chamber pressure of the 10.5 inch barreled weapon as compared to the longer 14.5 inch version. This correlates well with the difference in bore pressure at the instant of bullet uncorking.

In my research I have seen several other mentions of suppressor life being diminished on shorter length barrels <= 10.5".

My current plan is 12.5, but as stated above the 14.5 is becoming more attractive and may win out as I continue to research while I wait for my stamps.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I recently submitted my Form 1 for a 10.5 barrel on a 5.56 platform knowing I would probably end up with something longer. I figured I may as well submit for the minimum and could easily go longer.

While doing my research I found this article that had some interesting data:
    http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

This was an interesting quote (my bold emphasis):

The article also mentions suppressor life problems on shorter barrels.

In my research I have seen several other mentions of suppressor life being dimensioned on shorter length barrels <= 10.5".

My current plan is 12.5, but as stated above the 14.5 is becoming more attractive and may win out as I continue to research while I wait for my stamps.

Just picked up my Phantom 762 can(YHM) and they state minimum barrel length for warranty coverage is 10.5''.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can get around the "terminal effect" issues through selection of other ammunition that performs more adequately at a lower velocity. The rest of it, though... there's really nothing wrong with 16" barrels, and I say this as a guy who owns a whole bunch of SBRs.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I get it, sometimes you want to do somthing because it's cool, or just because you want to. I have suitable platforms, where someday I'll run a 7.5in *just because-* .

But to be even vaguely practical, under current Md oal requirements, nothing to be gaimed to go shorter than 10.5in.

And if someone chimes in with the various reasons why 11.5 or 12.5 have advantages, I wouldn't argue with them.

If you think 14.5in is the bee's knees, good for you, but at that point may as well weld a flashhider (oppsn muzzle break) and avoid the paperwork, expense, and transport restrictions.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I get it, sometimes you want to do somthing because it's cool, or just because you want to. I have suitable platforms, where someday I'll run a 7.5in *just because-* .

But to be even vaguely practical, under current Md oal requirements, nothing to be gaimed to go shorter than 10.5in.

And if someone chimes in with the various reasons why 11.5 or 12.5 have advantages, I wouldn't argue with them.

If you think 14.5in is the bee's knees, good for you, but at that point may as well weld a flashhider (oppsn muzzle break) and avoid the paperwork, expense, and transport restrictions.

Done this too.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm doing 10.5 now. If I don't like it.......ill just build another for the collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I am presently in the middle of building an 8.5" .300BLK. For .300BLK it does make sense, because that's about the length that the round was originally designed for. It's tricky to get 29", but it can be done.

I pulled my muzzle device yesterday and took a ton of measurements, but I didn't finish up. Unfortunately my notes are sitting on my PC at home, and I am traveling to visit family for Easter. I'll post specifics when I get home on Monday.

Yup. If you use a VLTOR eMod stock AND an A5 buffer tube, you can get there with a pinned muzzle device. Otherwise you'll be just a tiny bit short.

An ACS-L with the extended .70" buttpad should do it without a pinned device.

Yeah.... I'll update that thread when I get home and look at my specific measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom