• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DTOM 47

Accident Prone
    Sep 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    I've been looking at SBRs lately and have come across a multitude of solutions to my questions leaving me with no definitive answers. I've been reading that in order to stay out of the SBR territory the barrel of the rifle has to be longer than 16" or have an AOL of 29" or greater. What I'm asking is if I have say a 10.5" barrel attached to an AR-15 lower that maintains an AOL of 29" or greater will I have to register it as an SBR?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've been looking at SBRs lately and have come across a multitude of solutions to my questions leaving me with no definitive answers. I've been reading that in order to stay out of the SBR territory the barrel of the rifle has to be longer than 16" or have an AOL of 29" or greater. What I'm asking is if I have say a 10.5" barrel attached to an AR-15 lower that maintains an AOL of 29" or greater will I have to register it as an SBR?
    Yes. A SBR is any rifle with a barrel length of < 16". OAL of 29" is a MD requirement for the copy-cat test. An example: A Tavor has a 16" barrel but OAL <29". It is not a SBR.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Yes, you will have to apply for a $200 Federal tax stamp BEFORE you build your SBR. If you do not have an NFA trust(the most common option other than an individual transfer), you will have to fill out a paper Form 1(for making an NFA item). If you do have a trust, you can file your Form 1 electronically. You can also buy an SBR from a dealer under a Form 4. All of those options require a $200 payment upon submission. I think I got that all right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom