• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Ah fantastic! sounds like I need to put in my paper work in for an AOW then. Can I buy a parts kit without having the tax stamp? i.e. no reciever/barrel

Gotcha! that makes sense why folks can still build AK's now.

Constructive intent is open to interpretation. You can have the parts, but I would not begin to weld before you had the approved form back.

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/U...FNAME=&SFVID=&SFVALUE=&SFCount=-1&viewAll=yes

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalMachineandTool

ETA: http://www.danddsales.com/ You have to call both D&D and Global Machine to order and get the best pricing.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Has anyone ever asked MSP for a ruling on whether the Uzi pistol on the assault pistol list refers to the factory "UZI Pistol" which was built and sold as a micro receiver without a stock, or if it refers to any size Uzi in pistol form?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Has anyone ever asked MSP for a ruling on whether the Uzi pistol on the assault pistol list refers to the factory "UZI Pistol" which was built and sold as a micro receiver without a stock, or if it refers to any size Uzi in pistol form?
    These are the same guys who are trying to claim the Walther 22lr Uzi pistol is a banned assault pistol because of that language. They're wrong about the Walther and the full size / mini Uzi "pistols", but without a lawsuit[1], no one's going to be able to force the issue.

The only really banned Uzi pistol is the Action Arms Uzi pistol, which is basically a Micro without the stock.

[1] Or intervention from the governor, I suppose.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    These are the same guys who are trying to claim the Walther 22lr Uzi pistol is a banned assault pistol because of that language. They're wrong about the Walther and the full size / mini Uzi "pistols", but without a lawsuit, no one's going to be able to force the issue.

The only really banned Uzi pistol is the Action Arms Uzi pistol, which is basically a Micro without the stock.

Exactly, and they are the same guys who ruled the Polytech M14 is not banned because of the metric bolt dimensions.

Maybe a very specific submission including dimensional schematics could be enough for the full size and mini to be ruled legal pistols. It looks like the form requires a LGS to sponsor the submission? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oCCLNMq6nRvz_2N9g8FBCBdCFGmy1uvVSauBMvs_peo/viewform

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Remember that a Form 1 AOW is $200 (1 = make it yourself.)
    Form 4 AOW is $5 (4 = transfer one thats already built.)

No cost savings for a Form 1 AOW over an SBR.

Krysta

Gun Girl
    Apr 8, 2015
    Columbia, MD
    Yup, I know it will be $200 :)

It will have a forward vertical grip.

Probably going to do a Mini UZI. Was thinking of doing a full size and welding the collapsed stock shut and too the receiver just for looks but I'm not sure on the legality in the ATF's eyes. It wouldn't be 'meant to be fired from the shoulder' but I feel i would been written approval from ATF before I did that on an AOW. I know that Century has welded the folding stock shut on its pps41 pistols and its legal.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    With an Uzi, it's simple. Use a fixed stock. Put a suppressor on the front end. Especially if it's something like a Gemtech Mossad, which replaces the barrel nut. You meet length requirements that way.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Yup, I know it will be $200 :)

It will have a forward vertical grip.

Probably going to do a Mini UZI. Was thinking of doing a full size and welding the collapsed stock shut and too the receiver just for looks but I'm not sure on the legality in the ATF's eyes. It wouldn't be 'meant to be fired from the shoulder' but I feel i would been written approval from ATF before I did that on an AOW. I know that Century has welded the folding stock shut on its pps41 pistols and its legal.

FYI. The PPS-41C pistols that are imported by IO have more than just the stock welded. The entire folding stock assembly has most of the pieces removed. Then a solid pin was added to prevent any hopes of easily converting it to a functional folding stock, without the parts from a PPS-41C parts kit.

Krysta

Gun Girl
    Apr 8, 2015
    Columbia, MD
    Thank you Bobthefisher, I actually wrote the BATF an email to see what their thoughts are on that subject for the UZI. We shall see what they say.I could just still make the UZI without the folding stock on it. Would probably have to weld up its mounting points shut too.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    FYI. The PPS-41C pistols that are imported by IO have more than just the stock welded. The entire folding stock assembly has most of the pieces removed. Then a solid pin was added to prevent any hopes of easily converting it to a functional folding stock, without the parts from a PPS-41C parts kit.

You mean the PPS43C. I have one from IO. So does safekraker. *ALL* the parts are there except the spring that the pin pushes on. Nothing is welded but the stock won't open w/o opening up the hole in the receiver to push the pin through. It simply requires drilling the old pin a little to remove the staking, opening the hole in the receiver to be able to push the pin though, and getting(or making) a correct longer pin if you desire. Both of us SBRed them easily. There are uzis/MP40s/AKs out there w/ welded stocks sold as pistols. Really no different than 'permanently' extending a barrel to 16" w/ a muzzle device.

You could submit a letter to the atf of what you wanted to do for individual clarification.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Interesting!

Yeah, I am am a bit paranoid, better be safe than sorry with writing the ATF.

Just make sure to do your research and homework before writing the ATF. There have been some pretty important determinations overturned because someone wrote a letter to the ATF asking for clarification that wasn't needed. If you are going to get into building I recommend you also join a forum like weaponsguild, gunco, or somewhere else that has a library of ATF determination letters. Many of the questions you will have are already answered in the building community. Last thing anyone wants to do is ask for a determination that inadvertently screws things up for builders.

ETA: The reason for hesitancy is the total lack of consistency in determinations from the ATF tech branch.

caffeind

Mar 8, 2012
    I was recently tried an efile form 1 AOW for an uzi pistol with forward grip and was disapproved. Any suggestions on how to get this approved?

Disapproval reason says, "request must include information to prove compliance with Maryland state law/ state why you intend to make firearm/ detail the reason you intend to make firearm specific to Maryland state law. Assault weapon? Exemption? Refund in process"

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The copycat restriction means that you cannot effectively SBR an UZI. OAL is listed at around 25" when you use the original 10" barrel and the folding stock. So you need a 14+" barrel to SBR in MD, at which point, I can see why the AOW and $5 stamp would be attractive.

To build an AOW, the stamp is $200. The $5 AOW stamp is only for a transfer. Another reason why a SBR is the better choice.

Krysta

Gun Girl
    Apr 8, 2015
    Columbia, MD
    I was recently tried an efile form 1 AOW for an uzi pistol with forward grip and was disapproved. Any suggestions on how to get this approved?

Disapproval reason says, "request must include information to prove compliance with Maryland state law/ state why you intend to make firearm/ detail the reason you intend to make firearm specific to Maryland state law. Assault weapon? Exemption? Refund in process"

I heard recently that MDSP is considering an AOW to be a copycat of the pistol. I am going to try my luck with the sbr route since I currently have an uzi rifle.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I heard recently that MDSP is considering an AOW to be a copycat of the pistol.
    I think you mean "MDSP is considering AOWs to be pistols". Copycat is a very specific term. I would be vaguely surprised if they did this, but who knows... what's your source?

I am going to try my luck with the sbr route since I currently have an uzi rifle.
    You'd be able to cut 2.5" off the barrel before hitting the OAL limit of 29". Having a pre-ban Uzi rifle does not exempt you from that limit, alas.

Speaking as someone with a pre-ban Uzi SBR... it's just not worth it at this point. If I were dead-set on another Uzi, I'd try ramming the Uzi Pro pistol through the roster board with a thorough explanation of why it's not parts-compatible with the original banned Uzi pistol.

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    Just to clarify, there's legal no way as of now to get an uzi? Even as sbr? It's one I regret not getting.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom