• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    A while back I purchased a glock 19. Took it and a few other pistols to the farm to do a little shooting and to give a new female shooter a chance to do some shooting.

Well, while showing this young lady how to shoot we started with a ruger 22 and worked up to a 380 then to my sig I carry most often and then finally to my new Glock.

Right from the get go I couldn’t hit a thing I pointed at at 25 yards. It got so bad , and embarrassing, that I set up a large paper target and tried dialing her in. This pistol hits 14” low and a foot to the left at 25 yards. It grouped ok, but just ok about the size of my hand usually would cover a mag full but I don’t consider that s very good group off hand at 25 yards.

Anyway how the hell do I get those sights right. I think I need new sights. I assume Glock makes adjustable sights for target/ carry purposes but I wNt tononow if anyone else has a Glock with standard sights that shoots like this and if so did you fix it? With new sights? And what kind??

I like the gun, I like the sights, I like how it feels in my hand BUT, I gotta get it to shoot better than this.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Low and left is usually characteristic of jerking the trigger and or squeezing the gun too hard. Did it shoot at this same position for the lady?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    low and left is generally indicative of trigger issues (yanking the trigger). also with their stock sights, not real easy to get tight groups out at 25 yds.

do some dry fire and take up all the slack and then break the trigger. you're sights shouldn't be moving off the target. go as slow as you have to.

i've put warren/sevigny competition sights on all my glocks. wide rear notch and fiber optic front sight that takes up about half the rear sight. smaller front sight gives you more precise aiming (than the huge glock factory front sights) and having that space in the rear provides for faster target acquisition.

also, have a more established glock shooter try your gun and see what the results are. it could be the sights are off but my guess is trigger control. glock triggers pretty much suck so don't feel too bad. i've put lightened connectors and springs in all of mine but they're still nowhere near my 1911/2011 triggers.

also, the 19 is their mid size and doesn't have the longest sight radius. a 17 or even 34 will give you a longer sight radius which should help accuracy-wise. but lots of folks compete with the 19 and do just fine so sure you will get a lot better with it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Low and left is usually characteristic of jerking the trigger and or squeezing the gun too hard. Did it shoot at this same position for the lady?

I shot 8 pistols that day and being as rusty I am I could easily keep 80% of my rounds in a fist sized area in the center of every target I shot at EXCEPT with this pistol.

And when I jerk or push off I always shoot right, usually on center but always right. Sometimes high right.

The young lady actually only shot the Glock one round. She shot everything else without a problem but said the Glock had to much kick after that one shot and put it back on the table.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    low and left is generally indicative of trigger issues (yanking the trigger). also with their stock sights, not real easy to get tight groups out at 25 yds.

do some dry fire and take up all the slack and then break the trigger. you're sights shouldn't be moving off the target. go as slow as you have to.

i've put warren/sevigny competition sights on all my glocks. wide rear notch and fiber optic front sight that takes up about half the rear sight. smaller front sight gives you more precise aiming (than the huge glock factory front sights) and having that space in the rear provides for faster target acquisition.

also, have a more established glock shooter try your gun and see what the results are. it could be the sights are off but my guess is trigger control. glock triggers pretty much suck so don't feel too bad. i've put lightened connectors and springs in all of mine but they're still nowhere near my 1911/2011 triggers.

also, the 19 is their mid size and doesn't have the longest sight radius. a 17 or even 34 will give you a longer sight radius which should help accuracy-wise. but lots of folks compete with the 19 and do just fine so sure you will get a lot better with it.

Yeah I really don’t like that big front sight right off the bat. I also like my sights so what I am shooting is sitting on top of my front sight but when I did that it shot even lower, plowing the ground all over.

I never thought about the trigger pull, it didn’t feel that bad, seemed long but manageable.

My sig 938 has a shoerter sight radius, I believe, than the 19 and I shot it as well as usual so I don’t think it’s that.

This has been bugging the shyte outta me

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Shoot it from the bench to make sure it's not the nut behind the trigger. If it still shoots left send it to glock or do this:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/fixed-my-left-shooting-problem.1694985/

I will do that but that part doesn’t look like it fit a 19, at least the way I read it on their site

Damn I hope it’s not me. That 19 is so much lighter than my sig and I wanted something lighter for carrying plus it holds nearly twice the rounds per mag.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Fist sized groups at 75'? That's bad?

The rest of my pistols I could get that out of and I think that’s ok but the Glock was the size of an open hand and 14” low and a foot left and that’s unacceptable. Maybe it’s me, maybe I need to get used to the trigger? If I knew I wouldn’t be asking, lol

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I shoot right handed. How would a righty jerk or pull off and go low left? Seems like I would have to push the pistol while twisting left? I have never shot low left with any other firearm.

If I can get some time away from dad this weekend I will shoot from a rest and see exactly what I am doing or not doing wrong or right

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I think that group size is totally acceptable for a first outing, but the location is definitely something to address.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I think that group size is totally acceptable for a first outing, but the location is definitely something to address.

Group size suits me and will get tighter with more shooting time with the gun but placement is unacceptable, either myself or something else is off and I need to know what.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Group size suits me and will get tighter with more shooting time with the gun but placement is unacceptable, either myself or something else is off and I need to know what.

again, dry fire and see how good you can keep the sights on target. esp way out there at 25yds, that's the best guess cause-trigger. one of the most popular guns/models in the world, sure you'll get it right.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Have another good shooter try it and see where the shots land. From they way you describe how you shoot, there very well may be a problem with the gun.

I've never seen anyone shoot a foot low but group fairly well and have it be due to a technique problem. But stranger things have happened.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    again, dry fire and see how good you can keep the sights on target. esp way out there at 25yds, that's the best guess cause-trigger. one of the most popular guns/models in the world, sure you'll get it right.

I will do just that, and thanks for the help and kind words.

Have another good shooter try it and see where the shots land. From they way you describe how you shoot, there very well may be a problem with the gun.

I've never seen anyone shoot a foot low but group fairly well and have it be due to a technique problem. But stranger things have happened.

I surely ain’t perfect and I don’t like these sights so I will work on it and get another guy shoot the pistol and see what happens

I also think I will her a taller front sight that’s much narrower and if that doesn’t do it I will look farther.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    If i question the sights, i sometimes take a large piece of cardboard and either draw 1” circles or put 1” stickers on the cardboard, about 6” apart and a couple of rows of 8-10. Step back about 4 feet and try to hit half of them and see where the shots are landing. Have a bud with some experience do the same with the rest of the circles. Compare. Sigts or shooter?
    New gun? Is it possible smeone replaced the front sight with one that doesn’t match the height of the back sight? Too tall?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    You must have forgot the heat seeking assault bullets and the shoulder thing that goes up

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom