• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Okay folks I am planning a move soon... August 21st is settlement in fact and I need to find a place to live within 45 minutes of Cecil County. (If you know of anything for rent PLEASE PM ME).

Well I work in Cecil County and I get to decide out of MD and PA to relocate my family because they are both relatively the same distance from work. Which state is more firearm friendly? I have found a few things online from several different websites and I would like help gathering everything together into this thread.

If you know any 2A issues currently being looked at in these states, carry laws currently in effect in these states, purchasing laws, any banned firearms, or maybe even just predictions about the future of these two states regarding 2A laws and regulations please feel free to share with a friend in need of some advice.

Thank You!

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It would be a tough call but one thing I would really look at is the local school board and taxes also in PA. As for me it would be a no brainier because of no state tax and getting your ccw in both is not to hard at all not to mention you would be closer to the beaches in DE like Rehoboth and Lewis as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since the OP focused on firearms issues , the answer would be Pa better than DE, with both generally better than Md ( except for NFA in DE ).

DE has lots of hoops for CCW . Sure if you jump thru all the hoops you can't be arbitrarily turned down , but hoops and time involved . Pa is issued at County level .The state requirements are very simple , but City of Philadelphia , and handful of anti-gun jurisdictions add their own hoops and arbitrary denials on top . Avoid Phila and adjacent counties , and you're golden .

As of today . Both states have anti gun politicians trying to make things worse . Pa seems to have stronger defense in their state legislature , but the two most recent AG's have been rabid anti's raising mischief .

But don't just take my synopsis , pop over and ask our counterparts at PAFOA and Deleware Open Carry ( despite the name, they deal with all firearms issues ).

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    handgunlaw.us will be a good resource for you.

PA has less restrictive laws in general.

Jump62

Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island, De
    Okay folks I am planning a move soon... August 21st is settlement in fact and I need to find a place to live within 45 minutes of Cecil County. (If you know of anything for rent PLEASE PM ME).

Well I work in Cecil County and I get to decide out of MD and PA to relocate my family because they are both relatively the same distance from work. Which state is more firearm friendly? I have found a few things online from several different websites and I would like help gathering everything together into this thread.

If you know any 2A issues currently being looked at in these states, carry laws currently in effect in these states, purchasing laws, any banned firearms, or maybe even just predictions about the future of these two states regarding 2A laws and regulations please feel free to share with a friend in need of some advice.

Thank You!

I don't know the PA laws other than what I can find on the web but I can speak to what has and may happen in Delaware. We dodged several bills in the Delaware Senate like SB 163 last session that was going to bring near word for word what the Maryland FSA of 2013 ( https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=220678 see post #11 ), this bill didn't make it out of committee so with pressure from the Governor they tried to get a suspension of the Senate rules to get it on the floor and that failed as well.
    If in the up coming election the " Ds " hold or get more seats Delaware will in in trouble for 2ndA issues. They will try again with a new and improved SB 163 and other bills and try to pass in in the same old way and we will come out and oppose in the same old way. The north of the state is very Democratic, the middle is well the middle, and the south ( where I live ) is know a lower slower Delaware. The north has the population and the higher % of " Ds ". I'm buying lowers cheap and stacking them deep and ammo again too, I'm dusting off my old pre FSA 2013 plan JUST in case .
    We are seeing a flow of refugees from MD, PA, NJ and some from NY who are fleeing Tax Oppression or poor living conditions but are bringing to this state some of the same ideals and loony left solutions that didn't work in their old states. This will not work out well. I see that MDs FSA of 2013 has lowered the states murder rate so that's why we need it here in Delaware
    There are hoops to get a CCW it's sort of like a treasure hunt. You can not own, buy, ect a machine gun, SBR, or a suppressor so a short barrel full auto M-240 with a can on it is out of the question. Same day buy and pick-up for every thing else.
    The future lies in the Supreme Court and either challenge some of these state's laws like in the very anti 2nd A states or pass federal law and again bypass these states. The 9th Court just overturned Hawaii non issue of an open carry application, Looking out my window for formations of flying pigs and Nessie in the bay.
    Sorry for being long winded, hope this helps.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

PS LSD ( lower Slower Delaware ) is a nice place to live

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    PA better than DE both better than MD.

If you stay close to the border you can still shop in DE and save sales tax but pay close attention to all the local taxes in PA because they vary greatly by county, township, town.

Lots of rentals in PA what are you looking for?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    PA(outside of Philly), less restrictive, few places actually off-limits to carry, nothing really banned, easy and cheap carry permits, most sheriffs shall-issue NFA approvals too, most towns have a private range or two that is easy to join. Knife laws are similarly good, can carry fixed or folding concealed, no carry for daggers(double edge) or autos, possession of is a grey area, but generally OK if it is posessed as part of a "collection". Politics and most dealings with govt are extremely localized to your township, city, or borough. School taxes are infamous, annual car inspections suck, but all in all we pay less taxes here than in MD, and cost of living generally is lower.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    PA my best friend moved there from MD in 1998. DE is too small three counties. It is being invaded by looney lefts from NJ & NY. My sister moved to DE in 2005 she said it has changed since then.

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Pennsylvania, a little north of Cecil is probably a touch better in all aspects in what you're looking for, but Kent/Sussex Counties of Delaware are nice if you're going for a rural/semi rural setting.

Sussex county is pushing the 45 minutes though unless maybe you can add a few more minutes and are going to Cecilton. Lol

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If you look strictly a Permit then PA is less hassle . In De you have to post in news paper and just more leg work , but both are leaps and bounds better the Md. Have fun and enjoy free America .

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I don't know the PA laws other than what I can find on the web but I can speak to what has and may happen in Delaware. We dodged several bills in the Delaware Senate like SB 163 last session that was going to bring near word for word what the Maryland FSA of 2013 ( https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=220678 see post #11 ), this bill didn't make it out of committee so with pressure from the Governor they tried to get a suspension of the Senate rules to get it on the floor and that failed as well.
    If in the up coming election the " Ds " hold or get more seats Delaware will in in trouble for 2ndA issues. They will try again with a new and improved SB 163 and other bills and try to pass in in the same old way and we will come out and oppose in the same old way. The north of the state is very Democratic, the middle is well the middle, and the south ( where I live ) is know a lower slower Delaware. The north has the population and the higher % of " Ds ". I'm buying lowers cheap and stacking them deep and ammo again too, I'm dusting off my old pre FSA 2013 plan JUST in case .
    We are seeing a flow of refugees from MD, PA, NJ and some from NY who are fleeing Tax Oppression or poor living conditions but are bringing to this state some of the same ideals and loony left solutions that didn't work in their old states. This will not work out well. I see that MDs FSA of 2013 has lowered the states murder rate so that's why we need it here in Delaware
    There are hoops to get a CCW it's sort of like a treasure hunt. You can not own, buy, ect a machine gun, SBR, or a suppressor so a short barrel full auto M-240 with a can on it is out of the question. Same day buy and pick-up for every thing else.
    The future lies in the Supreme Court and either challenge some of these state's laws like in the very anti 2nd A states or pass federal law and again bypass these states. The 9th Court just overturned Hawaii non issue of an open carry application, Looking out my window for formations of flying pigs and Nessie in the bay.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Short barreled rifles are legal in DE, unless this has changed in the past few years.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    Jump62
    aka Paul

https://www.guntrustguru.com/delaware

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads