• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    So I've got two ARs with optics on them. My "bling" rifle has an Aimpoint PRO on it, and my SBR has a Vortex Sparc AR. I like both optics, and frankly for what I paid the Sparc is the bargain of the year.

Unfortunately, I have astigmatism, so both of the "dots" are more like "squiggles." I can shoot them just fine, but they're not a clear precise dot like apparently they should be. Thus I've been thinking about prismatic optics lately. Ideally I'd love an ACOG, but they're not in the cards budgetarily, so I've been looking at the Spitfire 3x.

I like that they're slightly magnified, I like the prismatic thing so my astigmatism will still let me see a clear reticle. I like that the reticue is etched so even when the optic is turned off it's still visible. I like the reticle on the 3X that has subtensions / bullet drop indicators for 5.56. Based on my experience with the Sparc, I like Vortex quality for the price, and their warranty is good.

So I ask here: has anyone used the Spitfire 3X specifically, and if so, are there any giant downsides that I'm missing? I'd likely have to sell something to pick one up, but I think it would be perfect on my suppressed SBR.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Haven't used it, but do use the PA 3x and 4x prisms, which are similar in concept with different reticles. I also use the Spitfire 1x on a 9mm PCC. Be advised that the BDC isn't gonna line up quite right on your SBR. If you have a ballistics calculator like Strelok, you should be able to do the calculations yourself for what the dope would be. Otherwise, sure, it will do what you want.

One option that I don't see mentioned often is the Nikon P-223 3x. It's a very compact, very light 3x scope with a simple BDC reticle and a generous eyebox. It is also really cheap price-wise. I run one on my Sig 556 SBR, and I'm very happy with it. Only downsides are 1) lack of illumination and 2) that you can't use a typical AR mount, because the scope is just not long enough between the two ends... I used Leupold QRWs, and Nikon had (has?) offset rings that would bring it to the right height on AR platforms.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I have both the Spitfire 3X and astigmatism and love the optic. Shot plenty and it's held zero and I've not had to replace the battery.
    The only thing I really don't like about it is that it's heavy for what it is, but hey, it's sturdy.

Came with two little rails on top. I took those off.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Be advised that the BDC isn't gonna line up quite right on your SBR.

Yeah, the BDC is going to be off. It's about a 1 MOA difference @ 200, a little more than 2MOA at 300, 3MOA at 400, etc. Roughly. The marks being there for some good ol' "Kentucky windage" (is there such a thing as "Kentucky holdover?) would be nice.

I have both the Spitfire 3X and astigmatism and love the optic. Shot plenty and it's held zero and I've not had to replace the battery.
    The only thing I really don't like about it is that it's heavy for what it is, but hey, it's sturdy.

Came with two little rails on top. I took those off.

Thanks! Yeah, it's a bummer it's so large / heavy, especially compared to the Sparc I've got on there now, but I think I'd happily trade that for being able to see the reticle clearly. The little rails would come off of mine, too. I'm not high speed enough to put an optic on my optic...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Yeah, the BDC is going to be off. It's about a 1 MOA difference @ 200, a little more than 2MOA at 300, 3MOA at 400, etc. Roughly. The marks being there for some good ol' "Kentucky windage" (is there such a thing as "Kentucky holdover?) would be nice.

Thanks! Yeah, it's a bummer it's so large / heavy, especially compared to the Sparc I've got on there now, but I think I'd happily trade that for being able to see the reticle clearly. The little rails would come off of mine, too. I'm not high speed enough to put an optic on my optic...

Don't think you'll be disappointed. Etched reticle is neat. Red and green light is brilliant and can be dimmed way down.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I have the spitfire 3x and haven't shot a ton of rounds through mine, but I like it.

the slight magnification is nice and works well for me as I have an astigmatism as well.

seems like its built rather well and sturdy.

I think its a pretty good deal for what it cost vs. what you get.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I like mine. I have one on one of my 300 blackouts. It i a little heavy but Chad helped me line it up during one of his classes.

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    I don't have the 3x but do have the 1x Spitfire. For people with astigmatism, you can't beat it for the price. Another benefit - the etched reticle is visible even without illumination, so it is usable without batteries.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thanks for the advice.

Having done a little more research, I'm now looking pretty hard at the Primary Arms prism optics with the ACSS reticle on them. That looks like a really nice reticle, and people seem to have nothing but good stuff to say about the optics as well. I was hoping there'd be Black Friday deals on them, but I didn't see anything.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Sold my Spitfire after I bought a strike eagle. For around 1/2lb more and $50 less you get a much more versatile magnification range in 1-6, about the same distortion at 1X, and I like the reticle better. I have astigmatism too, but seems to be less apparent on clearer red-dots, and non existant on EoTechs, the slight dot distortion on cheaper red dots is about equal to the 1X distortion of a prism or 1-X scope, so if I want a 1X, I tend to go with an EoTech instead of prisms, they have the least dot distortion for me, and are the easiest to shoot with both eyes open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom