• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I know there was a group that got together to go over highpower for newer shooters to the sport at agc and I always seem to miss it every year. Havent seen any threads or mention of it. Anyone know when that is coming up? Would really like to get into service rifle this year.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It's going to be interesting having any kind of AR shoot service rifle. You'd think that shooters need to have something resembling an actual in-service rifle to do this.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    It's going to be interesting having any kind of AR shoot service rifle. You'd think that shooters need to have something resembling an actual in-service rifle to do this.

There are still some restrictions on what is allowed as a service rifle. The new rules are on the CMP web site. There is a lot of discussion on the subject over on the USRifleteams.com national match forum.
    Allowing optics up to 4.5X should make it interesting. They allow buttstocks that are length adjustable only also.

atom33

Worker Drone - 7G
    Dec 7, 2008
    AmerikaTown
    The service rifles are provided for use during the clinic, ammo too.

AR-15 SERVICE RIFLE CLINIC

The Maryland Rifle Club again is sponsoring jointly with the Maryland State Rifle Team an AR-15 Rifle Clinic. The objective of this clinic is to develop proficiency in using the AR-15.

• This clinic is for shooters (new or inexperienced) who want to learn marksmanship skills with the AR-15. It is also for shooters who have some experience with an AR but have not shot competitively. This is not a clinic for teaching intermediate or advanced skills.
    • Juniors (15-21) are encouraged to register. A junior has to be able to safely handle the rifle in the standing position.
    • Coaching will be provided by the best highpower rifle shooters in the state. Coaching on the firing line will be one on one.
    • Rifles and ammo will be provided.

The clinic is limited to 32 attendees and always fills up fast. So don't delay if you are interested!

NOTE: It is highly recommended that you do stretching exercises starting a few weeks prior to the clinic. This will help with getting into and maintaining the prone and sitting positions which is taught using a sling for support. Otherwise, you might find your muscles too sore to complete the clinic.

Details are:
    • A 2 day clinic, Saturday March 19, 2016 & Saturday March 26, 2016 (7:30am-4:30pm).
    • Cost: $95 per adult, Juniors (under 21) $55. Preregistration required. Attendance limited to first 32 paid applicants. No refunds will be issued for cancellations less than 21 days before 3/19/16.
    • The clinic will be held at the Associated Gun Ranges at Marriottsville, MD
    • Send registration fee (check made to Maryland Rifle Club, Inc.), name, age (if junior), address, phone number, e-mail address, T-shirt size, & club affiliation (if any) to:
    Erich Grove
    PO Box 1425
    Ellicott City, MD 21041
    • Info: Erich Grove <egrove10@comcast.net>

atom33

Worker Drone - 7G
    Dec 7, 2008
    AmerikaTown
    from the website www.mdrifleclub.org:
    Hands-on clinic for individuals who wish to learn/improve skills with AR15-type service rifle. Clinic will be held on two consecutive Saturdays, March 19 and March 26.

We assemble at 7:30am in the upper meeting room at the Barnes range house; after classroom instruction, we move to the 200-yard range for live fire practice. We highly recommend you prepare for the live fire practice by doing stretching exercises starting a week or two before the clinic.

Registration required. Class size is limited to the first 32 sign-ups. Cost is $95 per adult, Juniors (under 21) $55. To register, send email to Erich Grove egrove10@comcast.net

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There are still some restrictions on what is allowed as a service rifle. The new rules are on the CMP web site. There is a lot of discussion on the subject over on the USRifleteams.com national match forum.
    Allowing optics up to 4.5X should make it interesting. They allow buttstocks that are length adjustable only also.

Wow, that's 25 pages of whining :lol2: And to all the folks whining, I bought a bolt action service rifle and found out that the year after I bought it, semi-auto only for service rifle was the rule :mad54:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Wow, that's 25 pages of whining :lol2: And to all the folks whining, I bought a bolt action service rifle and found out that the year after I bought it, semi-auto only for service rifle was the rule :mad54:

Well, at least you didn't try to use a trapdoor Springfield for the rapid fire phases!!:innocent0:lol2:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Well, at least you didn't try to use a trapdoor Springfield for the rapid fire phases!!:innocent0:lol2:

Drmsparks told me he pulled targets for a guy who shot a match at Butner using a Trapdoor. I think the shooter got off all ten in the rapids, too.

He said he couldn't get the markers to stay in those big holes in the paper.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Issaac McKaskill (my apologies for spelling), has been shooting a trap door for close to 3 years now at butner in the vintage match. I don't think it's medaled yet but lordy it's fun to watch him shoot. Yes I pulled for him the first year and the first time he got off a full rapid fire string and no, 30 cal plugs do not like 45 cal holes....

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    The service rifles are provided for use during the clinic, ammo too.

AR-15 SERVICE RIFLE CLINIC

The Maryland Rifle Club again is sponsoring jointly with the Maryland State Rifle Team an AR-15 Rifle Clinic. The objective of this clinic is to develop proficiency in using the AR-15.

• This clinic is for shooters (new or inexperienced) who want to learn marksmanship skills with the AR-15. It is also for shooters who have some experience with an AR but have not shot competitively. This is not a clinic for teaching intermediate or advanced skills.
    • Juniors (15-21) are encouraged to register. A junior has to be able to safely handle the rifle in the standing position.
    • Coaching will be provided by the best highpower rifle shooters in the state. Coaching on the firing line will be one on one.
    • Rifles and ammo will be provided.

The clinic is limited to 32 attendees and always fills up fast. So don't delay if you are interested!

NOTE: It is highly recommended that you do stretching exercises starting a few weeks prior to the clinic. This will help with getting into and maintaining the prone and sitting positions which is taught using a sling for support. Otherwise, you might find your muscles too sore to complete the clinic.

Details are:
    • A 2 day clinic, Saturday March 19, 2016 & Saturday March 26, 2016 (7:30am-4:30pm).
    • Cost: $95 per adult, Juniors (under 21) $55. Preregistration required. Attendance limited to first 32 paid applicants. No refunds will be issued for cancellations less than 21 days before 3/19/16.
    • The clinic will be held at the Associated Gun Ranges at Marriottsville, MD
    • Send registration fee (check made to Maryland Rifle Club, Inc.), name, age (if junior), address, phone number, e-mail address, T-shirt size, & club affiliation (if any) to:
    Erich Grove
    PO Box 1425
    Ellicott City, MD 21041
    • Info: Erich Grove <egrove10@comcast.net>

Still trying to understand the handguard rule. Does it still have to be a quad rail or can any handguard be used? My google search didn't yield a good answer.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Still trying to understand the handguard rule. Does it still have to be a quad rail or can any handguard be used? My google search didn't yield a good answer.

The rules are available on the CMP website. www.odcmp.com

Rule 6.1.1

... Quadrails or similar handguards may be used. The front sling swivel may be attached to the handguard, but must be fixed and located 13 in. (+/- 0.5 in) from the forward edge of the magazine well on M16 configured rifles or 8 in. (+/- 0.5 in.) on M4 configured rifles.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    The rules are available on the CMP website. www.odcmp.com

Rule 6.1.1

... Quadrails or similar handguards may be used. The front sling swivel may be attached to the handguard, but must be fixed and located 13 in. (+/- 0.5 in) from the forward edge of the magazine well on M16 configured rifles or 8 in. (+/- 0.5 in.) on M4 configured rifles.

What I am confused about is a round handgaurd considered a 'similar handgaurd "

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

Hmm - looks like I need to read up on the new rules.

---
    Shamr0ck

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    What I am confused about is a round handgaurd considered a 'similar handgaurd "

Not sure what that means either. Until I find out different, I am going to presume that they are good to go since they basically accomplish the same thing ie; free floating the barrel. The sling swivel must be fixed at the proper position per the rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom