• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, have you handled a 686? Just asking because it's quite a bit bigger than a model 64, even my model 66 .357. I was looking at and handled a new 6" 686 last week. You'll need big hands to handle it comfortably, especially with the nose-heavy 6" barrel. With my medium-sized hands, a GP100 fits me better. My model 66 fits like a glove, as does my Ruger Speed Six and several 6" Colt Pythons I've been looking at lately. The 686 is a great revolver, though.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Fair enough. Passed down to me were my Fathers Model 60 and my Grandfathers Model 10. Yes, I know, the 10 was a .38 only, but it was the genesis of the later .357. The Model 60 was, however, a .357. That gun DID get shots off in anger. He carried it as his back up piece in Vietnam flying for the USN. I'm not sure how or why, but this gun did get used. How so I am not privy to. My Grandfather carried his Model 10 while stationed in the Philippines with the USN, though I do not believe his ever got a shot off in anger. And if I'm not mistaken, my brother flew with his 586 4" as a back up during OIF with the USMC. I'll have to confirm this, though.

Your point? And I don't mean that to be crappy, either. Mine was that S&W has proven itself to be combat worthy, thats all.

The reason I asked was because I own a 4" 686+ that I've carried a time or two. I find it manageable in the weight department, a steady and accurate shooter, but it is a little on the bulky side. Still, my coat had no problem hiding it.

The only downside to it as a combat weapon, IMHO, is the size and the fact that it's stainless.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    OP, have you handled a 686? Just asking because it's quite a bit bigger than a model 64, even my model 66 .357. I was looking at and handled a new 6" 686 last week. You'll need big hands to handle it comfortably, especially with the nose-heavy 6" barrel. With my medium-sized hands, a GP100 fits me better. My model 66 fits like a glove, as does my Ruger Speed Six and several 6" Colt Pythons I've been looking at lately. The 686 is a great revolver, though.

Interesting point. I need to handle an L-Frame 686 at some point. I have small-to-medium sized hands; small enough that the standard sized Glock 21s and such are a bit too big.

The reason I asked was because I own a 4" 686+ that I've carried a time or two. I find it manageable in the weight department, a steady and accurate shooter, but it is a little on the bulky side. Still, my coat had no problem hiding it.

The only downside to it as a combat weapon, IMHO, is the size and the fact that it's stainless.

Ah, gotcha. Per my father the M60 was easy to carry but was in a shoulder holster while flying. My brother had his 586 4" in a shoulder holster as well but did say it was sometimes cumbersome. He hated the M9, though. Never did give me a reason other than he just didn't like it.

Sadly I can't carry mine (no permit) but would if I could. I'd open carry a 4" 686 any day.

Sorry if I came off as pissy, it was late and I was irritated as it was!:o

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Ah, gotcha. Per my father the M60 was easy to carry but was in a shoulder holster while flying. My brother had his 586 4" in a shoulder holster as well but did say it was sometimes cumbersome. He hated the M9, though. Never did give me a reason other than he just didn't like it.

Sadly I can't carry mine (no permit) but would if I could. I'd open carry a 4" 686 any day.

I carry my Model 10 almost daily.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Do a little research...
    There is a huge difference between the available L frames and the now discontinued K frame .357s.
    If you can find a used K frame at a decent price in good condition grab it.
    Just stay away from 125gr .357 loads in a K frame.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    If you get a 686, I'd sure shoot for one of the older models. I have one of the first wave of 686s, and they were beautiful revolvers. They had stamped side plates and hard chromed hammers and triggers. Even so, they're still excellent revolvers. So, too, are the S&W 66 6-inchers. They have better balance in my view and make excellent hiking and camping pistols.

SW686_1a.jpg

A686Cylinder.jpg

686.jpg

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    The 686 is a marvelous revolver. It is a little bulkier than the K-frames, but not by a significant amount. The double action trigger is very smooth and easy to control. It dampens 38 spcl and +Ps to a trivial recoil, and makes the magnums, if not pleasant to shoot, certainly fairly easy to control. The single action trigger is like dry ice on glass. I have never shot a model 66, but have shot magnums in other K-frames, and the 686 is just better for that.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If you get a 686, I'd sure shoot for one of the older models. I have one of the first wave of 686s, and they were beautiful revolvers. They had stamped side plates and hard chromed hammers and triggers. Even so, they're still excellent revolvers. So, too, are the S&W 66 6-inchers. They have better balance in my view and make excellent hiking and camping pistols.

SW686_1a.jpg

A686Cylinder.jpg

686.jpg

Beautiful.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

Your dad carried an M60 in a shoulder holster? That must be one hell of a holster to carry a .308 belt fed machine gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom