• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    So Engage has a new manufacture 225 at a very solid price and I'm rather tempted to get it. Before I throw some cash down, I do want to cover my bases in research. Which mags work well? Promag makes cheap ones, but a cheap mag is useless to me if it doesn't work.

Also, anyone have holster or mag pouch recommendations?

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    The only mags that will work well with the P225 are Sig OEM P225/P6 mags
    I used to have a bunch but I sold my P225 and my P6 so I got rid of the mags

What's the price they are asking if you don't mind me asking?

there are hundreds of holsters and mag pouches to choose from that gun has been out there forever!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    there is an entire market of Trade In SIG P225/P6 thats currently available. this means there are a bunch of used Factory P6 mags out there. Not sure if this will apply but there were FTF problems using JHP ammo with the P6 not sure it'll be a problem with new P225

I'd go for it...P6 is a great pistol, they are W German police trade ins

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    The only mags that will work well with the P225 are Sig OEM P225/P6 mags
    I used to have a bunch but I sold my P225 and my P6 so I got rid of the mags

What's the price they are asking if you don't mind me asking?

there are hundreds of holsters and mag pouches to choose from that gun has been out there forever!

They have it at cost, 700. It's posted in their sub forum.

Does anyone know how reliable they are with JHPs?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The P6 had issues with JHP. mine wouldn't eat them so I used ball ammo. not sure about the new P225

What date code was yours? I thought the issue was that the early P6's had the issues.

To the OP, the reason the West Germans didn't worry about the guns feeding JHP is that they used a load that had a solid plastic tip, that fell away in flight. The Glaser Pow'RBall load is the closest to what they used that we have. The actual load was the GECO BAT.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have a civilian P225, manufactured sometime in the early 90s. There are a few differences between the P225 and the P6, mainly the springs and the hammer. Regarding the mags, I have also found that the factory mags work best. I've had so many bad experiences with Pro Mag in the past in other handguns that I wouldn't even consider buying another magazine made by them.

About two years ago Top Gun Supply had Swiss Police turn ins for about ~$300, I really wish I would have bought one as they all had the unusual heel mag release and appropriate Swiss Canton crests for the department that owned the gun. The large quantities of surplus guns seemed to have been absorbed; it was easy to find a well used P6 four years ago for ~$250.

Something to consider about the Sig P225/P6 is that it is a smaller, thinner gun than most of us are used to when we think of Sig. I'm 6'1" with fairly large hands and my pinky is partially off the grip when I hold it (reminds me of the M9s grip). If this is an issue for you, you may want to look for a used 226 instead if you don't already have one. This isn't a great pic and I'm obviously not holding the gun properly, but you can see what I'm referring too.

IMG_0972.jpg

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    About two years ago Top Gun Supply had Swiss Police turn ins for about ~$300, I really wish I would have bought one as they all had the unusual heel mag release and appropriate Swiss Canton crests for the department that owned the gun. The large quantities of surplus guns seemed to have been absorbed; it was easy to find a well used P6 four years ago for ~$250.

The heel mag release was the normal mag release when SIG introduced the P220 and the P225. Most European handguns had that design until they realized that Americans liked "our" type of mag release and we were buying large numbers of guns.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Thanks for the input, guys. I'm currently debating between this and the CZ P01. I'm mainly looking for something that slots between my Glock 17 and my LCR in size. The 19 just doesn't really do it for me.

I really like the slimness of the P225, and the fit and finish is better than some of the recent Sig fare that I've seen.

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    I had two ProMags for my P6 and they often FTF'd the last 2 rounds. They were fine in you were looking to stack up a bunch of mags at the range and get 75% reliability, but definitely not the kind of thing I'd bet my life on. I ended up selling them and now I just have my 2 factory Sig mags.

Mine is an '82 and it doesn't reliably feed 147 gr JHP. I might get one or two off, but usually no more. I've read that some feed lighter JHP rounds more reliably, but I've never tested this theory. (I do have a box of Federal 124 gr JHP sitting unopened but I haven't attempted to fire them.)

Overall, I like the gun, and with the Pachmayr grips I added, it has a nice feel. It's easy to strip and clean, and it's relatively slim and compact (though it does have a little heft to it.) I'm probably going to look to "upgrade" to a G17 or similar in the near future for the added capacity and the ability to feed JHP cartridges reliably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom