• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    So, I may soon have access to my buddy's reloading gear, and from what I've read, .38 special and .357 magnum aren't particularly difficult to reload for. I'm kind of inclined to try my hand at it to create some tailor-made defensive loads for my LCR. I was wondering if any of you with experience hand-loading for snubs have had positive results creating loads with fast-burning powder for these kinds of applications. Ideally, I'd like something that burns more efficiently to minimize muzzle flash.

Basically, what kinds of powders should I be looking at for this sort of application? Anybody have particularly good results with snubs? As much as I enjoy slinging fireballs at the range, I'd like my defensive loads not to blind me at night.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I would not carry handloads in my gun loaded for defensive use. All of my defensive ammo is factory stuff, for liability issues.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I would not carry handloads in my gun loaded for defensive use. All of my defensive ammo is factory stuff, for liability issues.

Hmm. This did not occur to me in my enthusiasm.

Well, let's rephrase the question - instead of defensive loads - any loads?

I'll have to re-think about the carry aspect of it, but I'm basically looking for advice as a noob reloader looking to hand-load for a snub.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Your "to create some tailor-made defensive loads for my LCR", will be turned into "developing ultra high power killer bullets" by some lawyer, or so I've been told.

I load for my .357, but it is a SP 100, 6" barrel. I have a fairly light load which consist of Clays and a 158gr Berry's FP bullet, and it is uber accurate. I was thinking recently that it would be a good round for a smaller gun, as the recoil is pretty mild.

Hope this helps you some.

MH

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    on the side of "hunting loads" for the 2 7/8 speed six I've played with 140 jhp as well as 125 jhp and several different powders for each. the Vihtavuori powders seem to produce less flash and lower pressure for the same velocity as some older powders.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Your "to create some tailor-made defensive loads for my LCR", will be turned into "developing ultra high power killer bullets" by some lawyer, or so I've been told.

Is there any documentation, where part of the judges reasoning or part of the verdict has included a reference to handloaded ammo as an aggravating factor?
    So far, everyone that has told me that handloads are "a bad idea for self defense" for this particular reason has failed to produce the proof.
    Thus said, I would for reliability, not liability reasons use factory ammunition.

looking for advice as a noob reloader looking to hand-load for a snub.
    .357 is easy to load. Try out some .38 loads first and see how they feel in the gun. 125gr, 150gr, then work your way up to 38+p loads and finally .357.
    When you can't control the gun and empty it into your target in a timely fashion, back off and you got your load.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    found this article :
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_4_51/ai_n11840291/
    here is part.

Malice Factor

Attorneys hungry to nail you, whether in criminal or in civil court, need some hook on which to hang their argument that your actions constituted malice against the person who forced you to shoot him. We saw it with anyone who went to court after firing Black Talon ammo in self-defense, during the period when that cartridge was ludicrously demonized by the press and the politicians. We've seen it for decades, right up to the present, with the use of hollow-point amino. Appellate lawyer Lisa Steele is right now speaking for multiple individuals who suffered either conviction or enhanced sentences because juries bought lawyers' arguments that the use of HP ammunition was cruel, unusual, and malicious. A lawyer who knows his stuff--which the original trial lawyers in those cases of Lisa's apparently didn't--can defeat the hollowpoint argument easily. The simplest avenue is to show the jury that virtually all cops carry HPs. But that argument isn't available for handloads.

In one case I was consulted on back in the '70s, the shooter had used a CCI Speer 200-grain JHP he'd handloaded to equal CCI's ballistics in a factory loaded .45 ACP cartridge. The state police who investigated, and the prosecutor who brought him to trial for aggravated assault, kept asking why regular bullets weren't deadly enough for this man. On my recommendation, the defense brought Jim Cirillo in as an expert. He calmly explained the whole thing, including the fact the defendant's .45 ACP handloads were less powerful than the factory amino issued to the investigating troopers for their .357 Magnums, and the jury acquitted the shooter. Still, it was an attack that could have been prevented if the defendant had simply loaded with CCI's own factory cartridges, and used his identical handloads for training and practice.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Appellate lawyer Lisa Steele is right now speaking for multiple individuals who suffered either conviction or enhanced sentences because juries bought lawyers' arguments that the use of HP ammunition was cruel, unusual, and malicious......
    This part refers to factory ammo in all cases....

The state police who investigated, and the prosecutor who brought him to trial for aggravated assault, kept asking why regular bullets weren't deadly enough for this man. ..... and the jury acquitted the shooter.

Just painted the important part red. "Any noob" did that search once with a few law clerks - they came up with three cases where handloads were used in an argument by the prosecutor. 2 acquitted, 1 hung juy,
    I am usually well-informed when I ask rethoric questions :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom