• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Going first time this weekend for oakie trout.
    Know any good spots, and lure type?
    Thanks for the help.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Going first time this weekend for oakie trout.
    Know any good spots, and lure type?
    Thanks for the help.

I only know FORT Smallwood Park (AACo), and that's AFAIK mainly White/Yellow Perch, and occasionally Rockfish. Not saying there aren't Bass out there, but I don't think I've heard of it.

I keep hoping to get out there, but I end up throwing the binoculars around my neck and walking with the Missus and the dog ;)

Last edited:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Smallwood SP is the launch point for many bass tournaments. Just do what everyone else does and follow the herd of bassboats.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Tons of largemouth are around the shoreline at Smallwood State Park. There are snakeheads and blue catfish, too. The area to the left of the ramps is popular for shoreline anglers. There should be bass and some decent panfish (redear, pumpkinseed, bluegill) in the marina area along the riprap. Good luck!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The Smallwood State Park the OP refers to is in Southern Maryland on a creek attached to the Potomac.

And a sewer pipe attached to the creek. I know people like to fish that place but I can’t get over the 6 million gallons of raw sewage that was dumped in there last year.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    And a sewer pipe attached to the creek. I know people like to fish that place but I can’t get over the 6 million gallons of raw sewage that was dumped in there last year.
    Not familiar with this - got a link? Thanks.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Not familiar with this - got a link? Thanks.

The The Charles county shit-plant sits about two miles up the creek from where the fishing happens. Whenever we get one of those monsoon events, there is enough ingress of stormwater into the sanitary sewer to cause the plant to overflow raw sewage into the creek. This happens either at the plant itself, or at some outfalls along the pipelines that bring in the shit from Waldorf. When this happens, the county and MDE post notices and tests the water until the counts of coliform bacteria are back to baseline.

So, dont fish the creek for a week after a major monsoon event and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom