• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I'd classify it as lazy perhaps. The laziness subsided on their bumpstock law though. They really buttoned that one down. Delegate Moon must have really been hitting the Google and Youtube on that one. I recall many gun bills being defeated just by argument they couldn't be legally implemented. I think Vermont just passed a Bill they can't use, another NICs check fiasco. When you look at gun bills MGA introduces they'll typically pass unless the challenge or their fear is a legal one of passing it. Some of their concern has been recently addressed here in Maryland, other states and nationally.

Lazy would just be added to the list .

Maryland politicians don't give a shit about gun owners or small business owners.
    For them, this kind of thing is a twofer.

Amen , state could not care any less about most businesses that are mom & pops ,

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    No intersection of MD law and logic. Get used to it, it gets worse the more you try to understand. Rather than understand it, you must just memorize what has been passed.

U R right. It gets worse the more you try to understand it. I'm not even sure our infamous lawmakers understand what they have done.... unless they graduated 1st in their class from Harvard!!

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Quick question. Can I buy a rifle in another state with a >10 round mag?

Yes

In other words, if I'm at a dealer in VA attempting to buy a rifle with a 15 round mag and I present my Maryland driver's license, will they sell me the rifle in that configuration?

The black bolded is the real question. They should sell it with no problem, but some dealers don't want to deal with Maryland buyers.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Key is they can only sell you a rifle that is compliant in MD. Magazines would not be being transferred in state so it would not be an issue.

Reference for banned rifles an what has been evaluated.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OK I see. If the rifle is MD compliant the dealer is MD compliant. As long as no transfer of high capacity mags in Maryland, we are good to go.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    The black bolded is the real question. They should sell it with no problem, but some dealers don't want to deal with Maryland buyers.

OK, they are legally allowed to sell the rifle, but finding one that is willing to do it may be another story.

BTW this is all hypothetical. I am not working with any out of state dealer on any gun. Was just posing a scenario to better understand the law. :thumbsup:

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    OK I see. If the rifle is MD compliant the dealer is MD compliant. As long as no transfer of high capacity mags in Maryland, we are good to go.
    Dealer technically needs to be an FFL to sell a compliant long gun to you at out of State location. That is the only "compliant" aspect of dealer. That is Federal law vice state law.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Trying to make sense of MD gun laws......rookie move.

Rule #1 of MD gun laws.....you don't try to make sense of MD gun laws.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    U R right. It gets worse the more you try to understand it. I'm not even sure our infamous lawmakers understand what they have done.... unless they graduated 1st in their class from Harvard!!

They just submitted what their owners wrote down for them. NO thought involved or necessary.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some dealers will. Some will not.

When I bought my M1 Carbine at a VA gun show, the seller was a private citizen, not an FFL. So I had to find one at the show for the transfer. Hit about 3 before one would do it.

Some dealers just will not sell to MD resident to avoid any possible issues.

Some, like Cabela's in DE, will not sell you a rifle that comes with a >10 round magazine, even though they will sell you that same magazine by itself. No logic, but their store, their rules. And no, they will not take the mag out and sell you the rifle.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Some dealers will. Some will not.

When I bought my M1 Carbine at a VA gun show, the seller was a private citizen, not an FFL. So I had to find one at the show for the transfer. Hit about 3 before one would do it.

Some dealers just will not sell to MD resident to avoid any possible issues.

Some, like Cabela's in DE, will not sell you a rifle that comes with a >10 round magazine, even though they will sell you that same magazine by itself. No logic, but their store, their rules. And no, they will not take the mag out and sell you the rifle.
    Thanks for the info on Cabela's. I had considered ordering a rifle there with a >10 round mag but now I won't bother. Too long of a ride to come home empty handed.

So you have not had any issues buying magazines there? Even ones that had to be ordered and shipped to the store? They seem like a good source for mags but I have never purchased there so far.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JakeThePit

Mar 11, 2018
    The only thing this does is hurt "Businesses" in Maryland , the businesses that pay Md. tax and employ Md. citizens

If MD lawmakers caught the goose that lays the golden eggs, they would cook and eat it, then wonder why they don't have any more golden eggs.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    So you have not had any issues buying magazines there? Even ones that had to be ordered and shipped to the store? They seem like a good source for mags but I have never purchased there so far

No issues ordering mags for pickup at store, I’ve ordered 300 Blackout PMAGS and standard capacity M&P9 mags since i couldn’t find them in store with zero issue.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If MD lawmakers caught the goose that lays the golden eggs, they would cook and eat it, then wonder why they don't have any more golden eggs.

Baltimore City did so long ago and can't figure out where all the gold went.

The state is working on it, but as long as they have the golden turkey of the Potomac laying eggs they are still good.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks for the info on Cabela's. I had considered ordering a rifle there with a >10 round mag but now I won't bother. Too long of a ride to come home empty handed.

So you have not had any issues buying magazines there? Even ones that had to be ordered and shipped to the store? They seem like a good source for mags but I have never purchased there so far.

I have not ordered for ship to store.

But no problem buying standard cap mags there.

I buy a couple every time I am there. I think that is Maryland law. I am REQUIRED to buy more mags, ever time I leave the state. :lol2::lol2:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

There are lots of out of state IPs that are MDS members AND KNOW THE MD LAW and are happy to take your money. I suggest you deal with them...no fuss no muss. And watch out with ordering mags for ship to store. MD just decided that if you order them AND PAY FOR THEM within the state it doesn’t matter where you pick them up. You are considered to have purchased them within the state which is verboten!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom