Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 13th, 2019, 12:11 PM #1

Peacemaker Kahr handgun (and PCC) match 3/16

https://practiscore.com/pntc-march-2...es-am/register

this is a fun match, similar to idpa / uspsa, you run around and shoot stuff!

they are doing these the same days as their Steel Challenge. so especially if you're a newbie, you could do steel challenge in the morning for a warmup/primer (draw and shoot practice) and then do Kahr in the afternoon.

Kahr Defensive Handgun Series is an action packed pistol match with paper and steel. We run AM and PM squads with 5 stages per match. With 4 basic divisions and a straight forward scoring system it is great for all disciplines of shooters at all levels. Members $30 (Members must present current badge at check-in) Non-members $35 (additional $5 at check-in).
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:49 PM #2
Oddball caliber fan

Oddball caliber fan

You have to love a place that can hold two full matches at the same time.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2019, 11:16 AM #3
collector of fine .22s

Send a message via AIM to 4g64loser
collector of fine .22s

Send a message via AIM to 4g64loser
like IDPA but with a LOT fewer rules. a lot of fun. every entry into a match gets an entry into end of year raffle too (double entry if you are shooting a Kahr group gun). another cool point is that some of the stages are in the wooded areas at some of the events.
4g64loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 08:44 PM #4

fyi this is this weekend!
Old March 11th, 2019, 09:00 PM #5
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Sounds like it might be friendly to non-hardcore-competitive entrants. I’ll bet I’m not the only one who would love to see some video of this exact sort of event to better understand the dynamics and if it’s a good fit for one’s skills, equipment, etc.

I think a lot of people back off from committing to the drive and the time because they’re not sure what they’ll be getting themselves into. If this isn’t something somebody has done, it’s challenging to try to get a feel for it. I know at least a couple of life-long paper punchers who would probably really enjoy this sort of thing, but are convinced they’ll feel out of place if they’re not showing up with race guns and years of experience.

So, just generally, I’ll encourage people who mention these events to find a way to make it clearer who will be comfortable (and equipped with what) at the event being mentioned - might really increase participation!
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 09:31 PM #6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZm26oOsDn8

well don't laugh too much, but this is one of the kahr matches i did at peacemaker. just youtube for 'kahr defensive match at pntc' and you will find more from others.

basically instead of punching paper at a static range, you run around and shoot the various cardboard and steel targets they have set up throughout a bay. all you need is a handgun, holster, 2-3 mag pouches (or use pockets), 3-4 mags, and 3-4 boxes of ammo. i really haven't met anyone who didn't love these, and most were pissed they waited so long to give it a try. the range officer will walk you thru everything and everyone is free to ask any questions they have.

safety is job #1. your finger must be clearly and visibly outside the triggerguard while drawing and holstering, while reloading, while fixing any jams, while moving between target arrays, basically all the time unless you are actually shooting at targets. your muzzle must always be pointed generally downrange. gun stays empty, in holster, until the range officer tells you to 'make ready' when it's your turn to shoot. at that point you draw, load it up and holster it for your run. the RO beeps the timer and you draw and start shooting. when you show up to the match, just tell them you're new to this and they will take care of you. at your various stages, tell the RO you're new and he/she will walk you thru everything.

i get the apprehension, but there are tens of thousands of normal guys doing this every weekend. everyone did their first match at some point. try it and if you don't like it, don't do it again.
Old March 11th, 2019, 09:38 PM #7
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Thanks for the run-through. I've shot in dozens of cowboy matches, have done some ASI sessions, etc. - so the basic rhythms and sensibilities are very familiar. I think what most people (who haven't done anything like this) worry about it is the culture of the event. They don't want to be that guy who has bitten off more than they could or should chew, and I'm sure you know the kind of events I'm talking about.

I guess the main point I was making in commenting was how much I think it would help if EVERY time somebody here mentions an upcoming event, they'd take an extra few sentences to characterize the event and for who it would be a good fit. Might really bring out some pent-up participants.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2019, 09:07 AM #8

Peacemaker Kahr handgun (and PCC) match 3/16

Iím just getting stuff together to try IDPA. What are the divisions in the Kahr event? PCC, Limited, Single Stack etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 12th, 2019, 09:13 AM #9

PCC, Open (long mags, optics and comps allowed), Limited (iron sights, no comp), Single Stack

if you're going to do idpa, then do this. pretty much same concept, run around and shoot stuff. same safety rules as all the other games, but less operational/administrative rules (change mags whenever you want, no concealment, shoot targets in whatever order you want).
Old March 13th, 2019, 09:50 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsco View Post
https://practiscore.com/pntc-march-2...es-am/register

... so especially if you're a newbie, you could do steel challenge in the morning for a warmup/primer (draw and shoot practice) and then do Kahr in the afternoon.
Not a newbie but this is what I was thinking of doing if I decide to go shoot.
Kanly is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting