Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 13th, 2019, 02:43 PM #11
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

On a lark I opened up the registration page, and clicked the link that it said would explain the classifications. Couldn't really make any sense out of it, so that definitely was a show stopper!
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 05:22 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
On a lark I opened up the registration page, and clicked the link that it said would explain the classifications. Couldn't really make any sense out of it, so that definitely was a show stopper!
oh c'mon don't give up that easily. you're talking the divisions - open, pcc, single stack and limited? open is pretty much any handgun, with a comp/brake and optics allowed on it (look up sti dvc open, though carry optics handguns are also allowed in this division). pcc is pistol caliber carbine, basically an AR-15 or similar in 9mm or larger pistol caliber. single stack is 1911 and since they didn't define caliber, 9mm or up. limited is everything else, most handguns with iron sights, no comp or optics - glock, m&p, sti 2011/double stack 1911, etc, again 9mm or more. cmon give it a try and you will have fun!
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 05:56 PM #13
collector of fine .22s

Send a message via AIM to 4g64loser
collector of fine .22s

This match isn't super formal. It is, however, a lot of fun. You can show up and shoot with very minimal equipment. If you want to run a full open rig with CRSpeed belt, wear cleats, and take it seriously, you certainly can. Those who show up and run their daily carry rigs (yes, that does happen) can get some useful practice in too. There are (based on equipment observations) a lot of different disciplines represented in the shooters at these matches. The story as I read it is that since some of them are near holidays there may be themes. The zombie finale last year was pretty cool. Dunno what's up for this next one. Maybe leprechaun target? Cinco match will be interesting. Sombreros should be encouraged, just because.

The divisions are very simple and not crazy complicated. As davsco says, you can shoot with just about anything. If you are unsure of division just pick what you think is right and show up. If you are still unsure when you get there, ask the MD or someone in your squad. You can edit the information right then and there in the scoring tablet. People show up for Steel Challenge and have no idea what division they should be in. It happens. Fix it, forget it, and then shoot.
4g64loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 06:20 PM #14

occam, sign up for the sat pm match and bring what you got. get there around 10-11 and you can watch a few stages of the morning match, which i am shooting. come find me and i will walk you thru everything so that you are more than prepared for the afternoon match. instead of making excuses, Make Ready!!!
Old March 15th, 2019, 12:13 PM #15
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsco View Post
occam, sign up for the sat pm match and bring what you got. get there around 10-11 and you can watch a few stages of the morning match, which i am shooting. come find me and i will walk you thru everything so that you are more than prepared for the afternoon match. instead of making excuses, Make Ready!!!
Joke's on me. Finally worked out the logistics with the Mrs, so went to register ... and looks like registration is closed up (except for two in the Kahr event, not the steel games). Me snooze, me lose! Good luck and have fun, to all who will be participating. Not sure I will make the 3hr round trip to observe, but might get squirrely.
Old March 15th, 2019, 03:10 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
Joke's on me. Finally worked out the logistics with the Mrs, so went to register ... and looks like registration is closed
which match(es) did you want to do? either way, call them 304.229.4867 and see if they can find/make room for you. there is always someone who doesn't show up for one reason or another.

and again as far as divisions, just bring what you got and they'll advise you which one is best for your gear. the rf** divisions in steel challenge are all rimfire.

and if you've done cowboy action, you will have no problems with either steel challenge or kahr defensive matches.
Old March 15th, 2019, 05:50 PM #17
collector of fine .22s

collector of fine .22s

definitely call them. the Kahr matches are cool, laid back, and just plain fun.
Old March 17th, 2019, 05:14 PM #18
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Despite some mayhem in the "sorry you can't but oops now you can!" registration issues (no reflection on Peacemaker or USPSA - it was Practiscore funkiness), I managed to pull this off. As expected, some stuff that got baked into my brain shooting cowboy action was either a bit off-kilter or even outright minor trouble for the steel challenge game. But by taking my time and really not caring about anything but procedure, that all sank in quickly enough after a couple of stages. Was torn on whether to shoot with what I carry, or with something with a longer format, and ended up using my Beretta 92. It's no race gun, and that long, heavy DA was a bit of a gotcha on stages with smaller plates at a bit of a distance. Had some very respectable times, as well as some laughable strings, but that was the whole point - getting deflowered and not caring about the actual results.

Was happy to see that when the master of ceremonies asked, during the briefing, if there were any new (to this) participants, four hands went up. Everyone seemed like experienced and safe gun handlers, just new to the flow of things in this sort of game. An experienced hand was nice enough to indulge the 50% noob population in our small squad.

Other than that: I'm not sure why the Wright Brothers bothered testing their flying machines at Kill Devil Hills when they could have enjoyed the steady 25 mph winds in Glengary. But on a positive note, my Beretta now has that tacticool sandblasted look
Old March 17th, 2019, 05:25 PM #19

well congrats on trying out a new match! a lot of folks frankly just don't have the chutzpah to give the various shooting competitions a try. yes, very windy and chilly yesterday, i did the morning kahr match which was a lot of fun. already signed up for the may 4th kahr match!
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:45 PM #20
collector of fine .22s

collector of fine .22s

windy it was but that's ok. somebody said there may be a taco truck present during the 4 May match (unconfirmed rumor). I liked the skeleton wearing st paddy's day stuff on stage three.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting