• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sam44

Sep 19, 2016
    I am hoping to buy a Glock 17 or a Glock 19.
    What are the advantages of the 19 versus the 17?
    What would I gain by choosing the 19 over the 17?
    How much for a new Glock 19 gen 4?

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014

Well the 19 is a compact so its more concealable. I wouldnt want to try and conceal a 17.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Glock 17 is full size.
    Glock 19 is compact.

I bought the 19 because it was my daily carry in VA, but then I moved to MD.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If you go to Glock's website it'll explain the difference.

If you aren't going to legally carry the firearm then the 17 is a better option. Longer barrel and sight radius are better for accuracy and you can also carry more rounds when you get Non MD mags.

Both firearms are going to be between 500-575 when bought new. A little less if you qualify for Glocks blue labels.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

19 is bit smaller. Being more compact, technically "easier" to conceal.

17 being bigger, many prefer it for their "range" gun and not so much for carry. Larger is easier to grip, longer barrel technically is "more accurate".

That being said, if shooting performance and accuracy in both are equal, you would be gaining the "concealability" factor with the 19 over the 17, because of size.
    The 19 is probably the best conceal carry gun in the world.

My opinion is if you care about nice range time shooting slow, accurate fire, go large with the 17.
    If you want a pistol where you can make fast 8 inch self defense group shots, go with the 19.

I suck with Glocks trying to shoot slow accurate, but I'll hit center mass quickly all day long, which is my type of shooting.
    I have a 19, a 43, and a 42. I have other pistols for range fun.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have been curious about this recently. I've had G19's for quite a while and thought that a 17 size was crazy being just a little bigger. I grabbed a G34 (similar to the 17 size) and my game has improved, or at least my confidence, and now I feel I shoot better with all of them, 19, 26, 43 etc. My next will be a 17.

If you are a new shooter you may shoot better and build confidence with the 17. I think a better title for your thread is "Which one first?"
    You can't go wrong, good luck.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Nothing more to add, other than for some reason I am more accurate with the smaller 19 than I am with either of the 17's.

I don't know if it's the grip size or particular to the pistol.

Can't go wrong either way.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The Glock 19 is the most versatile handgun you can buy. Its size fits most any hand, and its small and light enough for most anyone to comfortably carry. At same time it's still large enough not to sacrifice much in accuracy or capacity. Plus you can use larger Glock 17 mags in it if you want. I can reliably and rapidly put a whole mag in the center of an idpa target at 10yds. That's all I need from a defensive pistol.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The 19 also comes with the serrated trigger since that is needed to make it legally importable. A lot of people prefer the smooth face trigger on the 17. If you prefer the smooth face trigger too, it's one less step for you. I replaced the trigger in my Gen 4 19 with a Gen 3 17 trigger.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah the dimensions (frame and grip side to side and grip front to back) are the same. so you're getting a longer sight radius with the 17 (and then a little more going to the 34). same with grip length going from 19 to 17/34. 17/34 mags work in the 19 but not vice versa. the 19 grip length is long enough for most to get a full grip.

so really the 19 is a little shorter length and height (and thus a little lighter) so more concealable, but with an accompanying shorter sight radius.

+1 for glock 32!

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    i went to the store to buy a glock 19, and left with a 17 (both gen 4). because I live in the peoples republic of "HOW DARE YOU THINK YOUR ALLOWED TO CARRY A HANDGUN" maryland. carry wasn't considered. the bottom of the 19 grip hit my hand in the middle of the ridge on the bottom when you close your hand and the 17 felt better. that being said a 19 is on my shortlist of next handgun to buy.

they are pretty much the same except the barrel and slide are about .5" shorter and the grip is roughly .5" shorter. there is a reason the 19 is so popular.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The 19 also comes with the serrated trigger since that is needed to make it legally importable. A lot of people prefer the smooth face trigger on the 17. If you prefer the smooth face trigger too, it's one less step for you. I replaced the trigger in my Gen 4 19 with a Gen 3 17 trigger.

Huh? This is me looking at you like a dog being shown a card trick.

Attachments

• frenchie.jpeg
      frenchie.jpeg
      4 KB · Views: 539

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'd personally suggest a Glock 19. It gives you the option of carrying if you find a way to do so down the line, and they seem to be a bit easier to resell than the 17.

Huh? This is me looking at you like a dog being shown a card trick.

The 68 GCA bans the importation of non "sporting" handguns. The serrated trigger counts as a "target trigger" to give the compact guns enough points to be imported, not because it's any better or desirable. I believe all Glocks are imported with the adjustable "target sights" which are then switched out before they are sold. The Glock 25 and 28 aren't available for commercial sale in the US because they don't have enough points to be imported due to being straight blowback and being in .380 ACP.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/atf-form-4590-factoring-criteria-weapons/download

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    The Glock 19 ... Its size fits most any hand...

I had a 17 years ago and have a 19 now and can say that the key word is 'almost'. I took an inexperienced friend out to shoot the other day and while his grip needs improvement, the 19 that fits fine in my hands but looks like a .22 in his. He kept looking for a place for his offhand thumb. Nearly shaved his knuckle a couple times before I could catch and adjust his grip.

For him, I'd definitely look at the 17 with a little extra grip length.

All that said, when I slow fire I can put 35 rds (2x10, 1x15 mag) on a silhouette target at 25 yards so I don't feel the need for the longer sight radius and barrel length.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I personally think you should get the one that feels better. For me, the 19 feels much better in the hand and points more naturally then the 17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom