• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ngzcaz

Jul 13, 2017
    Recently acquired a second Marlin to keep the Marlin 30/30 company. Bought a JM in .38/357 caliber. Be glad to post pics if someone can guide me thru the process. Anyway, bought it, shot it with the attached scope ( Bushnell 3x9 Sportview, ok at 3 to 7 power, gets a little fuzzy at 9 ) and also with the buckhorns ( has see thru scope mounts ) . Surprisingly, not much difference between the two, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 50 yards.. Maybe at 100 yards it would be more pronounced. Very nice condition.... except for the SS# some idiot engraved on the barrel a few inches toward the front sight from the JM logo for ID purposes... nope, not kidding. But, the price was right and at first glance one has to look at it to make sure it isn't it isn't dirt or light surface rust.
    Any lever enthusiasts out there ?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've been known to have a few. The one I like the best is my 1945 Winchester 30 WCF. But they all are nice. They make for a great lightweight, deep in the woods rifle.

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    I've been known to enthuse. I recently picked up an Uberti 1873 in .357/.38. It's a really beautiful rifle. Too nice to pack or take out in the woods in my estimation, but an absolute pleasure to shoot. Thinking of picking up a Henry of the same caliber to satisfy that need. It's a wonderful caliber for a lever action. Does not sacrifice power or capacity and goes nicely with a .357 revolver.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Greetings. Henry rifles for me. I have a Big Boy .357, a Golden Boy .22lr, and a Frontier .17 HMR. Also have a few Ithaca lever shotguns and a Winchester Trapper 30-30 hiding somewhere.

You could say I'm hooked on lever rifles at the moment.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    So it must look like this. See through mounts on a JM Marlin .357/.38.

Attachments

• KINDLE_CAMERA_1441116330000.jpg
      KINDLE_CAMERA_1441116330000.jpg
      39.7 KB · Views: 295

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I REALLY like my lever guns.

Let's see................

In .45-70 -
    Marlin 1895G
    Marlin 1895CB
    Marlin 1895CBA

In .44 Magnum -
    Marlin 1894CB
    Winchester '94 Trapper

In .22lr
    Winchester 9422 XTR

Believe it, or not.............. only the 1895G has been fired.
    No........... correction. The '94 Trapper had been fired TEN times, when I bought it from the original owner.
    He HATED the thing. (Probably the best $100.00 I've spent on a firearm.) :)

The 9422 XTR was sitting in the corner of a gun rack at Cabela's, in Newark, DE, and was so daggone lonely, I just HAD to bring it home.
    It was built in 1983 IF my memory serves me, and does not appear to have ever been fired.
    Finish is flawless. Insides...... spotless.

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    I love my 30-30s. I have a Marlin and a Winchester. The Marlin was my first ever gun purchase. It's shot up MANY deer, tin cans and paper targets over the years. There's just something about that lever action......mmmmm:D

CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    Marlins, Henry's and Savages....pretty much love them all. Haven't seen one yet that I didn't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    A Winchester Model 94 in .30-.30 was the first rifle I ever shot as a child. It kicked like a mule. It was my dad's gun. I sure wish I still had it.

Off to Gunbroker I go for more nostalgia inspired shopping....

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Ever try a peep sight?

Works well for me and looks good on the rifle.

BTW, Marlin 30.30, my first rifle that was not a BB gun.

Last edited:

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Works well for me and looks good on the rifle.

Yep, have a Williams peep site on my 30-30 lever gun. I should probably try one on the .357 too. Agreed, they look better but I think the scope works better, just doesn't have the cool cowboy factor.

ngzcaz

Jul 13, 2017
    Wish I didn't need the scope. They look so much better without a scope but my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Playing with the same deck of cards. The only way I get a clear sight picture is with the crosshairs. I briefly looked thru another guys peep sights with adjustable aperture. Just couldn't dial it in. I've got two different issues w/ my eyes. Obviously the buckhorns are the original sights and are authentic to the rifle... and 1 1/2 to two inches group at 50 yards is almost acceptable using 40 year old .38 special wadcutters but an inch to an inch and a half would be so much better.

And to think I used to shoot .357 mag S&W revolvers at 50 yards, standing weaver style double action only does make one yearn for the old days.. Great feeling when you got the second click staged correctly w/out it going bang prematurely. Please feel free to go off point down memory lane ( if you're old enough ) :)

Personally, I find the pistol cartridge in the lever rifle to be so pleasant to shoot it I find myself going to range a lot more than I used to.. and its nice to use the same load in my revolver. One cartridge to fit a revolver and a rifle makes a lot of sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom