• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    I have had both....I like the 19 better. The 17 just didn't fit my hand right. But ultimately it's going to be which one fits you better. Shoot both it shouldn't be hard to find one in either model to rent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I am hoping to buy a Glock 17 or a Glock 19.
    What are the advantages of the 19 versus the 17?
    What would I gain by choosing the 19 over the 17?
    How much for a new Glock 19 gen 4?

Since this is your first post, welcome to the forum. As far as your questions. I would recommend you go to a gun range/store and shoot both. Since you don't indicate that this will be a concealed carried weapon, the differences are size only and shouldn't be your number one concern. Find the weapon that fits your hands and feels comfortable. I think you will be happy with either one, but only if the firearm fits you well. If you have oven mitts for hands, the 19 could be too small for you. But only you will be able to find the pistol that fits your hand the best.

As far as price. Who knows. That can vary between vendors. You should be able to find what you're looking for with a price tag of less than $600.

But I do have another question for you. If you are a Maryland resident, do you have your HQL (Handgun Qualification License)? Without this you can not legally purchase a handgun. If you do not have your HQL please research this MD law and attend a class, so that you may exercise your 2nd amendment right.

Good luck in your search for the perfect handgun. You will find good advice on this forum, but please have a thick skin. Don't take the criticism to heart. We are like brothers around here. We will fight each other to within an inch of our lives, but we will come together to defend each one of us when attacked from the other side.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'd personally suggest a Glock 19. It gives you the option of carrying if you find a way to do so down the line, and they seem to be a bit easier to resell than the 17.

The 68 GCA bans the importation of non "sporting" handguns. The serrated trigger counts as a "target trigger" to give the compact guns enough points to be imported, not because it's any better or desirable. I believe all Glocks are imported with the adjustable "target sights" which are then switched out before they are sold. The Glock 25 and 28 aren't available for commercial sale in the US because they don't have enough points to be imported due to being straight blowback and being in .380 ACP.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/atf-form-4590-factoring-criteria-weapons/download

Glock makes pistols in Smyrna, Georgia USA...
    https://us.glock.com

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My advice, buy both.

If I had to chose just one, I would say the 19 for all the reasons listed above - especially what Blaster said.

Either way, you cant go wrong.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Since this is your first post, welcome to the forum. As far as your questions. I would recommend you go to a gun range/store and shoot both. Since you don't indicate that this will be a concealed carried weapon, the differences are size only and shouldn't be your number one concern. Find the weapon that fits your hands and feels comfortable. I think you will be happy with either one, but only if the firearm fits you well. If you have oven mitts for hands, the 19 could be too small for you. But only you will be able to find the pistol that fits your hand the best.

As far as price. Who knows. That can vary between vendors. You should be able to find what you're looking for with a price tag of less than $600.

But I do have another question for you. If you are a Maryland resident, do you have your HQL (Handgun Qualification License)? Without this you can not legally purchase a handgun. If you do not have your HQL please research this MD law and attend a class, so that you may exercise your 2nd amendment right.

Good luck in your search for the perfect handgun. You will find good advice on this forum, but please have a thick skin. Don't take the criticism to heart. We are like brothers around here. We will fight each other to within an inch of our lives, but we will come together to defend each one of us when attacked from the other side.

I couldn't have said it better. Both models are high quality, top of the line firearms. Go to the range, buy a box of 9mm, and shoot 25 rounds through each. See what you feel best with and shoot best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am hoping to buy a Glock 17 or a Glock 19.
    What are the advantages of the 19 versus the 17?
    What would I gain by choosing the 19 over the 17?
    How much for a new Glock 19 gen 4?

they are so similar it's really just up to which one fits your hand better. obviously if you've managed to get a carry permit you would know the smaller item is preferable for most people.

for just range/HD use I like to er on the side of the longest barrel with the longest sight radius with the highest capacity (glock 17 or 34)

also it helps to rent them... I can't shoot a 19 all that well but I shoot a huge g21 light out... go figure

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I apologize in advance for the duplicate post (I posted this on the TMGN thread as well) but just in case the OP did not see it there, I thought that I would post it here again. The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick is having a "Glocktober" event and I received the following message from them which may be of interest to the OP if he/she has not yet bought the Glock he/she was interested in:

"Happy Fall, TMGN Fans!

Throughout the ENTIRE month of GLOCKTOBER you have the opportunity to take advantage of some spooky savings!

-All standard GLOCK RENTALS are only $5.00

-PLUS, we’ll take $5.00 OFF all premium GLOCK RENTALS such as the Zev Tech 17, Zev Tech 19, Salient Blu 17, and Salient Tier One 17

-Every Sunday during MEMBER ONLY HOURS (10AM to 12PM) all GLOCK RENTALS are FREE for TMGN MEMBERS

-ALL GLOCK MODELS are available FOR SALE at a discounted rate throughout the ENTIRE month of GLOCKTOBER… PLUS, you’ll receive a $25 TMGN GIFT CARD with EVERY GLOCK purchase!

No tricks here. Stop by and treat yourself TODAY!

Have any questions? Come by and see us, give us a call, or shoot us an email. We're happy to help!

See you on the range!"

This is a great opportunity to rent and check out both of the Glocks and also get a discount on the purchase of a new one.

Enjoy!

Cal68

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I'd definitely borrow/rent/shoot them, at least one range trip to see which one FITS YOU...

Neither one fit me, although I shot my Gen 3 19 much better. The Gen 4 17, not so much. My G21? It's a Gen3 .45 cal, and I shoot it well and it is very comfortable fit to my big paws.

I actually sold my 17 and 19, replacing them with an H&K VP9 and a Ruger American Pro 9mm...both fit my hand MUCH better and I actually shoot both much more accurately.

I'd definitely try out the 17 and 19, and a few others before buying, if you can. You may find the 9mm Glocks just don't feel "right" to you, like I have found out...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'd definitely borrow/rent/shoot them, at least one range trip to see which one FITS YOU...

Neither one fit me, although I shot my Gen 3 19 much better. The Gen 4 17, not so much. My G21? It's a Gen3 .45 cal, and I shoot it well and it is very comfortable fit to my big paws.

I actually sold my 17 and 19, replacing them with an H&K VP9 and a Ruger American Pro 9mm...both fit my hand MUCH better and I actually shoot both much more accurately.

I'd definitely try out the 17 and 19, and a few others before buying, if you can. You may find the 9mm Glocks just don't feel "right" to you, like I have found out...
    Not everyone has those grizzly bear paws that you have my friend. Anyone wanting to test a G17 vs a G19 can do so at our event on Oct. 29. I have three of each. Details below.

Time is running out register for the Dottrio shoot today! The event is on 10/29/16. This is not spam. We are a mdshooters industry partner! https://dottrio.eventbrite.com

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Not everyone has those grizzly bear paws that you have my friend. Anyone wanting to test a G17 vs a G19 can do so at our event on Oct. 29. I have three of each. Details below.

Time is running out register for the Dottrio shoot today! The event is on 10/29/16. This is not spam. We are a mdshooters industry partner! https://dottrio.eventbrite.com

Grrrrrrrrrrr.....well there ya go OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom