• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    I've been searching for a few days now and a lot of the answers I've read are from 5+ years ago.

Anyone know of any good "HBAR" (thank you Maryland) barrels? I've seen the Daniel Defense barrel but thats a bit pricey for me. Was looking for other options but not much I found is marketed as heavy. Looking for 16" or 18"

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    From what I understand and have learned on here is the barrel doesn't need to be stamped "HBAR". It just needs to be advertised as such. Both my Ar's have heavy barrels from Faxon and rock river arms but neither are stamped HBAR. But both are advertised and sold as heavy barrels MD compliant. Of course I have my paperwork to back that up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    From what I understand and have learned on here is the barrel doesn't need to be stamped "HBAR". It just needs to be advertised as such. Both my Ar's have heavy barrels from Faxon and rock river arms but neither are stamped HBAR. But both are advertised and sold as heavy barrels MD compliant. Of course I have my paperwork to back that up.

How do you like the barrels? Do they shoot well?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    IMO Faxon makes fantastic barrels.

Criterion, White Oak, McGowan are some other options.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that you want mid length gas, because you do.

A really good barrel will run you $250+.

cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    IMO Faxon makes fantastic barrels.

Criterion, White Oak, McGowan are some other options.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that you want mid length gas, because you do.

A really good barrel will run you $250+.

Awesome thanks for the info. I'm not really looking for like a top-tier barrel. but definitely not a $70 barrel. I'd have just gone with an Aero barrel if they were advertised as HBAR

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    They do for me! The Faxon is a 16" .223 WYLDE heavy fluted match series I got on sale for $265. For my skill level and what I was using the gun for it was a perfect match.
    The Rock River is a SS. 223 WYLDE 18" with a mid-length gas system and that one shoots a little harder but I discovered it is over gased. But it shoots well to!
    The Faxon I can shoot a 3" group at 100yds with an EOTech and the rock river is shooting a little bigger at 3.5 at 100yds with a Trijicon ACOG. But like I said still dialing that gun in.

cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    They do for me! The Faxon is a 16" .223 WYLDE heavy fluted match series I got on sale for $265. For my skill level and what I was using the gun for it was a perfect match.
    The Rock River is a SS. 223 WYLDE 18" with a mid-length gas system and that one shoots a little harder but I discovered it is over gased. But it shoots well to!
    The Faxon I can shoot a 3" group at 100yds with an EOTech and the rock river is shooting a little bigger at 3.5 at 100yds with a Trijicon ACOG. But like I said still dialing that gun in.

Have you used both .223 and 5.56 with them? If so, how do the two rounds compare with a wylde barrel?

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Yes. Just cause I had some left over 223. But I pretty much exclusively use 556. I don't know enough about the 2 bullets to tell you which is better and why! I was just always told to use 556 and it was easy to find and being surrounded by military it's what was always available to me. But the pressure in the 556 is much greater than the 223...so greater pressure grater power IMO. So i stay with the 556. But in the Wylde barrels I can shoot both.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have both 223 and 556, but about 65% 223. Only because 556 is a little more rare and expensive (at my budget per round). In terms of "power" there is not a real difference when shooting paper or steel. IMI 223 55gr ball ammo (556, which I have) has 1262 ft lbs energy. Federal American Eagle 223 boat tail (https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...ull-metal-jacket-boat-tail-ae223f-p-2895.aspx), what I typically have, is rated at 1282 ft lbs.

There is a pressure/headspace difference for sure, but unless you are shooting full auto wont notice it in a 223 Wylde barrel. IIRC (from memory) the NATO spec for 556 calls for more head-space and pressure to make full autos more reliable. Semi-auto in 223 Wylde, average shooter wont notice. Of course, dont shoot 556 is a 223 barrel!

more than the 223/556 difference, however, you will notice a difference with quality ammo. I can get ~2.5" at 100 yards with steel cased Wolf. OnTarget TDS says I average 1.25 with premium ammo (when I do my part) - and premium stuff is typically 223.

cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    Thanks for the input guys. I've been trying to decide between 5.56 or .223 Wylde. Doesn't really seem like theres a drawback to the Wylde..?

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    Black Hole Weaponry has this posted on their website about "Heavy Barrels" in Maryland. I've emailed them for documentation. Thoughts?

Maryland: Heavy Barrel
    In the state of Maryland, the following profiles from Columbia River Arms and Black Hole Weaponry are classified as heavy barrels: Pencil, Slim, Light, Standard, SPR, National Match, Semibull, and Bull. The M4 profile does NOT meet the requirements for the heavy barrel designation. *Information received from State of Maryland Licens
    ing Division, Firearms Department, Sgt. Pickle, on November 6, 2017.

https://columbiariverarms.com/frequently-asked-questions/

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Black Hole Weaponry has this posted on their website about "Heavy Barrels" in Maryland. I've emailed them for documentation. Thoughts?

Maryland: Heavy Barrel
    In the state of Maryland, the following profiles from Columbia River Arms and Black Hole Weaponry are classified as heavy barrels: Pencil, Slim, Light, Standard, SPR, National Match, Semibull, and Bull. The M4 profile does NOT meet the requirements for the heavy barrel designation. *Information received from State of Maryland Licens
    ing Division, Firearms Department, Sgt. Pickle, on November 6, 2017.

https://columbiariverarms.com/frequently-asked-questions/

HBAR in Maryland simply means marked or marketed as HBAR. That alone ensures you are ordering the tight product. take a screen print before you order.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    HBAR in Maryland simply means marked or marketed as HBAR. That alone ensures you are ordering the tight product. take a screen print before you order.

I’ll second - they just need to advertise/market as such. Like noted above, print out a copy for your records if a need ever arises. Somewhere on their website they used to have the letter from MSP where they questioned. Unnecessary but comforting.

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    I’ll second - they just need to advertise/market as such. Like noted above, print out a copy for your records if a need ever arises. Somewhere on their website they used to have the letter from MSP where they questioned. Unnecessary but comforting.

That's why I found this interesting... they don't advertise any of those profiles as HBAR. When I ordered a barrel a few years ago they offered to laser engrave HBAR for no charges, so I guess you could get it on whatever you wanted...? Hopefully they'll get back to me with that letter. I'll post if they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom