• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Mailed a check out yesterday for a RPR in .338LM. Now, I am looking at scopes for the rifle. For the past 25 years, the only thing I have ever used is Burris scopes and they have served me well. Now, it is owned by Beretta Spa, so brand loyalty still holds for me.

Would the scope in question get the job done out to 1,000? I would most likely go with the front focal illuminated reticle.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-long-range/xtr-ii-riflescope-8-40x50mm

Is 8-40x too much, too little?

It is offered in 4-20x and 5-25x. Would either of these work better than 8-40x?

Also, while we are on the subject, think I am going to get a RPR in 6.5CM too. My wife is already leaning toward giving me the green light for it. So, should I buy the same scope for the 6.5CM too?

If not this Burris XTR II, then what?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    40x seems way too much, but then again so does 338. Might be useful at that 1500+ yards, but I bet you'd never crank it past 25x.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    40x seems way too much, but then again so does 338. Might be useful at that 1500+ yards, but I bet you'd never crank it past 25x.

338 is besides the point. I already have .270 Win, .30-06, and .300 Win Mag in long action bolt guns. After this 338LM, I am setting my sights on a .50BMG McMillan, but that will be a couple years down the road when my wife has forgotten about the price tag on these guns, scopes, and accessories.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would normally say go with the 5 - 25, but for .338 LM, you may want more for those 1+ mile shots.

But typically, too much magnification only makes the mirage blur everything out.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I would normally say go with the 5 - 25, but for .338 LM, you may want more for those 1+ mile shots.

But typically, too much magnification only makes the mirage blur everything out.

Yeah, maybe I'll just go with 5-25. I already have a 8-32 on my .220 Swift and I have rarely used 32x. If the 5-25 is too little for my liking, I guess I could just put it on the 6.5CM and get the 8-40.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    much comes down to personal preference, but I don't like going past a 3mm exit pupil, around 18x for a 50mm objective, usually gets darker, fuzzier, less contrast, and the eye-box shrinks. Takes a lot of money to keep a good image past that, so I usually don't bother, and usually find a crisp image and fine reticle zoomed to around 100 yards equivalent is enough for me and long distance steel and an occasional target. Going more than 50 yards equivalent usually makes it tough for me to find the target, and makes me feel a bit more jumpy, not much point unless you are bench resting.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    When’s the XTR 3 being released? Should be any time, no?

I’m also looking at the Tango4 and Vortex PST Gen 2.
    Sig Tango6, Athlon Ares, and the Sightron SIII scopes are also pretty strong contenders in this price range. I bought a Tango6 3-18x (gen2 34mm) and it's just a LOT of scope for the money... those Sig guys did their due diligence.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    much comes down to personal preference, but I don't like going past a 3mm exit pupil, around 18x for a 50mm objective, usually gets darker, fuzzier, less contrast, and the eye-box shrinks. Takes a lot of money to keep a good image past that, so I usually don't bother, and usually find a crisp image and fine reticle zoomed to around 100 yards equivalent is enough for me and long distance steel and an occasional target. Going more than 50 yards equivalent usually makes it tough for me to find the target, and makes me feel a bit more jumpy, not much point unless you are bench resting.

Yeah, I got out my .220 Swift over the weekend and it has a Burris Signature Series 8-32x44 on it. When I cranked it up to 32, everything became foggy. I could still see way the heck out there, but it wasn't very clear. I'm going to have to do some serious debating. Not much price difference between 5-25 and 8-40. Biggest question is going to be whether I want a starting point of 5 or 8.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I wouldn't want to use a second focal plane 40x scope. Reticle is only correct at max magnification and how often are you REALLY going to be at 40x?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I wouldn't want to use a second focal plane 40x scope. Reticle is only correct at max magnification and how often are you REALLY going to be at 40x?

Yeah, me either. That is why the scope has a first focal plane reticle. Don't think I will ever get a second focal plane reticle on another scope again. My SBRs will have red dots, and I don't think the focal plane matters on those.

The Signature Series scopes on my current hunting rifles are all second focal plane, but they are only a plex reticle so not a big deal there. Doubt I will upgrade them anytime soon, if ever. Going forward though, only using first focal plane reticles.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    OK, the one you linked is SFP, but I see there is a FFP option at the bottom now.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I hate the reticle on the 8-40 so I vote 5-25. The XtrIII 5.5-30 is gonna have the SCR2mil christmas tree reticle, I’d wait for that if you have a thing for Burris scopes. The SCR2 can be seen here on page 34:
    https://www.burrisoptics.com/sites/default/files/catalog/burris_2019_catalog-lowresolution_0.pdf

After reading the e-mail notifications for this and another post here, I went looking for the XTR III and my Google Fu failed me. So, I came back here to ask where you guys heard about the XTR III and lo and behold, you had posted a link.

Think I am going to hold out for the XTR III 5.5x30 with a 56mm objective and the SCR2 reticle. Just hoping I can afford it (i.e., the price tag does not have my wife killing me). That really looks like the best scope out of the bunch.

Thanks for the help everybody. Now, this turns into a waiting game and then a search for the best price possible to avoid divorce.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Hey Fabs, just my 2 cents. I have personally long been a fan of Burris scopes. I have a few and never had issues (mine are the less expensive models....more like 300 - 500). However, since going to work for Scotty (Scott's Gunsmithing), I have been informed that Burris was a PITA to deal with regarding warranty issues even refusing to handle an issue that Scott felt was clearly a warranty issue.. Scott won't recommend them on that basis and will not sell them.

I've learned since working there that Scotty has takes on these kind'a things that most would not encounter. Based on his comments alone, I personally would be wary of Burris even if I will not be hurrying to replace my own Burris scopes.

You, however, may heed or ignore this! :D

Good luck

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Hey Fabs, just my 2 cents. I have personally long been a fan of Burris scopes. I have a few and never had issues (mine are the less expensive models....more like 300 - 500). However, since going to work for Scotty (Scott's Gunsmithing), I have been informed that Burris was a PITA to deal with regarding warranty issues even refusing to handle an issue that Scott felt was clearly a warranty issue.. Scott won't recommend them on that basis and will not sell them.

I've learned since working there that Scotty has takes on these kind'a things that most would not encounter. Based on his comments alone, I personally would be wary of Burris even if I will not be hurrying to replace my own Burris scopes.

You, however, may heed or ignore this! :D

Good luck

I will always take 2 cents, and a nickel's worth is even better. About 15 years ago I sent two scopes back to Burris for warranty work because the plastic seals on the turret knobs were coming apart. They fixed them up without a fuss and sent them back to me at no charge. I have also had really good service from Beretta on a couple of guns and Beretta owns Burris now. I know a lot could change in 15 years, but that has been my experience. The warranty experience with Beretta was also about 15 years ago. Know I was dating g my wife at the time since she drove down there with me.

How long ago did Scott have issues with Burris?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom