Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 9th, 2019, 04:37 AM #11

As suggested, you may want to consider a die with adjustable neck sizing capability, as different case brands have varying neck thicknesses. Lapua .223 cases have significantly thicker material than most (all?) other cases. I have not had to retire any Lapua cases due to splits after many, many reloadings. LC cases are thinner (but harder) and will permit higher loads without powder compression. (I use a .250" or .249" neck bushing for Lapua depending on bullet, and a .246" bushing for LC cases.) With regards to small base dies, If your chamber is tight, you WILL require this. Otherwise your resized rounds will not only not chamber, but will get stuck, possibly VERY stuck. (Been there, done that - don't want to go there again.)
KRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 12:38 PM #12

For those who support bushing dies, what do you do about varying neck thickness? You do realize that varying neck thickness is one cause of run out and resulting loss of accuracy don't you? Unless you are neck turning, the bushing will not give consistent neck tension due to varying thickness of the brass. The use of an expander ball included in just about every die made with the exception of those specifically designed for BR is what brings the inside of the neck tension back to what is needed with a reasonable level of consistency. Note also that bushing dies do not fully size the neck completely back to the neck/shoulder junction, another potential reliability issue in a semi auto. The comment about small base dies is spot on in my expert opinion. Larger chambers such as the Wylde allow people to get away with not needing a small base die but, brass expands to fit the chamber when fired. Take a look at your fired brass and you will find it very obvious that it has expanded more on one side than the other. This is more pronounced in larger chambers. You can obviously size your fired brass to fit the chamber of the specific gun it was originally fired from. The question is, are you certain it rests in the chamber in the same orientation as when it was originally fired? Unless you are marking your brass and carefully single loading, the answer is no. As I stated, I use smaller chambers in my rifles and size my brass with a small base die. The die is designed to size brass back to factory dimensions. Further, past experience has proven that a full length die does not reliably size my brass back to what is needed for 100% reliable function, the small base die does. I normally get around 13 loads from my brass without annealing and without any failures. I am pretty certain my brass is not being overworked. I firmly believe it is best to keep it simple, especially for newer shooters. They have a lot to keep in mind as it is.

Distinguished Rifleman badge # 1646
NRA High master
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 07:26 PM #13
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

When I was loading a lot of .223/5.56 for High Power Rifle (and other stuff), I used to size/deprime each case on the RCBS RockChucker with RCBS "Competition Dies".

I don't know if they were absolutely necessary, but, I got a great deal on them and have just always used them.

After sizing, I tumble them again to remove the lube, then clean out the primer pocket, and trim to size.

From there, over to the Dillon RL-550B and complete the loading process.

Winchester cases
Winchester SR primer
H-335 powder. 23.0 gr.
NOTE: This load is safe and accurate in MY rifle. Use due diligence in working up this load.
Sierra 69 gr MatchKing

I don't use the RCBS competition bullet seating die. I've never gotten it to work with the Dillon.
Dillon's seater die, then Dillon taper crimp die.

Off sandbags my Colt R6601 will put 3 shots that can be covered by a dime at 100 yards.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by K31 01/06/2015 @ 6:59 p.m.
There's nothing quite like standing on the firing line, stuffing your ramrod down a waiting black hole, slathering your balls with grease, and then having as many as eight nipples.

With regard to reloading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff7mm 04/28/2016, 07:32 PM
Dealing with stuff that can cause catastrophic failure in your firearms, and injury or death to you and those in close proximity. I treat every step as if my life depends on it.

Last edited by byf43; June 9th, 2019 at 09:28 PM.
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 09:18 PM #14

Using the M die after sizing will keep the I'D of necks consistent. It expands on the upstroke, rather the downstroke. But I make my life even more simple now a days. I buy primed wolf brass and just fill and seat.

Shot a 3x600 today. 594-23x. My first clean at 600.
Park ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 09:23 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park ranger View Post
Using the M die after sizing will keep the I'D of necks consistent. It expands on the upstroke, rather the downstroke. But I make my life even more simple now a days. I buy primed wolf brass and just fill and seat.

You guys didnt get rained out? Was contemplating going
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 06:33 AM #16

We was able to shoot it, rain didn't start until about 4 pm. Only 12 or so showed up.
Old June 10th, 2019, 09:45 AM #17

Quote:

Congratulations on your first 600yd clean!
Hope you have many more!
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 04:09 PM #18

Quote:
We was able to shoot it, rain didn't start until about 4 pm. Only 12 or so showed up.

Where do I find service rifle match schedules? Nothing will beat sling and trigger time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old June 10th, 2019, 10:41 PM #19

Pm sent
Old June 11th, 2019, 09:24 AM #20

Quote:
Pm sent

Many thanks! With all the driving we do to WVU for our youngest to train, driving westward for matches will feel like a walk in the park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading