• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    I read https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document%20Downloads/5-16-14%20%20LD-FRS-14-003%20-%20Receivers%20of%20Banned%20Assault%20Long%20Guns.pdf and I'm not entirely sure of the legality/ability of purchasing a mil-spec complete lower receiver in MD.

I'd like to build a heavy barreled long rifle with an OAL > 29" but the verbage in the second FAQ seemed contradictory so I wasn't sure.

Can a MD resident purchase and own a mil-spec complete lower receiver?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think that advisory is pretty clear myself: lowers are not banned and subject to 77r.

As far as the 2nd FAQ, whats the problem? you cannot build it into a banned assault long gun.its the configuration thats banned. So an HBAR upper on any AR-15 lowers is GTG (provided OAL>29")

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    You can buy lowers 2 ways. If it is stripped it is subject to a 77r and 7 day wait. It can be built into a pistol or MD compliant long gun. If it os complete or has a stock attached, it transfers on a 4473 with a NICS check. If purchased that way, it can ONLY be built into a MD compliant long gun.

psybersapien

May 21, 2017
    I think that advisory is pretty clear myself: lowers are not banned and subject to 77r.

As far as the 2nd FAQ, whats the problem? you cannot build it into a banned assault long gun.its the configuration thats banned. So an HBAR upper on any AR-15 lowers is GTG (provided OAL>29")

I'm an engineer by training and experience so the problem is with my brain. If its clear to everyone, so be it. I'm an anomaly.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying! I'm going to start shopping for mil-spec complete lower receivers here in MD.

I tried PSA to see about getting one online but they won't ship a complete lower to an FFL in MD. I'm open to suggestions for a good place here in MD or online.

Thanks again!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'm an engineer by training and experience so the problem is with my brain. If its clear to everyone, so be it. I'm an anomaly.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying! I'm going to start shopping for mil-spec complete lower receivers here in MD.

I tried PSA to see about getting one online but they won't ship a complete lower to an FFL in MD. I'm open to suggestions for a good place here in MD or online.

Thanks again!

PSA sucks for a number of other reasons anyway.

Just about anyone else like Aero will ship complete lowers. Check with a local FFL. Completing a stripped lower is not very hard.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You can buy lowers 2 ways. If it is stripped it is subject to a 77r and 7 day wait. It can be built into a pistol or MD compliant long gun. If it os complete or has a stock attached, it transfers on a 4473 with a NICS check. If purchased that way, it can ONLY be built into a MD compliant long gun.

Wrong.

It does not become a rifle, until a barrel of 16" or more is attached to it. When you buy the lower that has a stock and LPK installed, it is still required to be marked as OTHER/FRAME/RECEIVER on the 77r and 4473, due to having no features of a rifle or a pistol.

SpikeRR

Sep 13, 2018

Lol let the great debate begin. This is exactly what I did and was told via Gym Ratz.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lol let the great debate begin. This is exactly what I did and was told via Gym Ratz.

If they told you a lower with a stock on it was a rifle and marked it that way on a 4473, they were wrong, period.

A lower is an other firearm until it has the physical features that make it in to either a rifle or a handgun. A handgun is defined (federally) as a firearm which is designed to be fired with one hand. A rifle is defined (again, federally) as "a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger."

In order to be a rifle, a firearm must have two things:
    1. a rifled barrel
    2. be designed to be fired from the shoulder (i.e. it has a stock)

A lower, even with a stock on it does not meet the definition of a rifle, because it does not have a rifled barrel. Therefore it is an "other firearm" and should be transferred as one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom