Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 5th, 2017, 08:58 AM #401
Emeritus Creepy Clown

Emeritus Creepy Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerbrian View Post
My neighbor is sitting in my stand, hasnt seen anything. He checked his Spypoint app and there deer standing in front of his stand
Ain't that always the way?
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 09:09 AM #402

I wanted to get out this morning, but got dragged out by the wife....so no hunting today.

I love this type of weather this time of year. All the rain bogs down the leaves so they dont make all kinds of noise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
BigCountry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:05 AM #403
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerbrian View Post
My neighbor is sitting in my stand, hasnt seen anything. He checked his Spypoint app and there deer standing in front of his stand
That happens more times than you think. A few years ago, My oldest son and I were in Fredneck County hunting some property of a friend. We set up my son in a great location where the owner promised he'd see deer and I hunted about 500 yards away from him.

About an hour after sunrise, I take a 100 lb doe. After we get back into the woods, my son (always impatient) said he wanted to hunt where I was and I could hunt where he hunted. I said sure, I got mine, so the rest of the days was his. I set him up and I go to his stand. I don't even climb the tree, I just sit down under the stand. Not 10 minutes later, I shoot a 120 lb doe.

Now my son is furious. We're into the afternoon, so while were out of the woods we eat and take a nap. My son is beside himself. He doesn't know what to do. So, I set him up on a trail not 5 minutes into the woods that's heading towards water. It was a hot day, so I thought something would come up the trail. After a bit, he got his first deer and big 130lb doe.

So the moral of this story is that the deer will be just about anywhere. If you're there, then you'll get a shot, if you're not, someone else will be there and take "your deer" like my son said to me that day.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:02 AM #404
Emeritus Creepy Clown

Emeritus Creepy Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
That happens more times than you think. A few years ago, My oldest son and I were in Fredneck County hunting some property of a friend. We set up my son in a great location where the owner promised he'd see deer and I hunted about 500 yards away from him.

About an hour after sunrise, I take a 100 lb doe. After we get back into the woods, my son (always impatient) said he wanted to hunt where I was and I could hunt where he hunted. I said sure, I got mine, so the rest of the days was his. I set him up and I go to his stand. I don't even climb the tree, I just sit down under the stand. Not 10 minutes later, I shoot a 120 lb doe.

Now my son is furious. We're into the afternoon, so while were out of the woods we eat and take a nap. My son is beside himself. He doesn't know what to do. So, I set him up on a trail not 5 minutes into the woods that's heading towards water. It was a hot day, so I thought something would come up the trail. After a bit, he got his first deer and big 130lb doe.

So the moral of this story is that the deer will be just about anywhere. If you're there, then you'll get a shot, if you're not, someone else will be there and take "your deer" like my son said to me that day.

^^^This. I always tell people, if you're in deer country, one will walk by sooner or later. Stay put. I can count on one hand, the number of times I've sat all day and not seen a deer I could shoot with a gun.
Old November 5th, 2017, 05:03 PM #405

I'm planning to be out Thursday and Friday this week. So many things getting in the way of getting out this year. I have only had 3 half day trips so far. Lots of days at an on call job, in New York last week, and my daughter's wedding yesterday. Family from out of state staying at the house until today. Some free time going ahead now I hope.

www.teasersportfishing.com
ChrisD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:38 PM #406
Emeritus Creepy Clown

Emeritus Creepy Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I'm planning to be out Thursday and Friday this week. So many things getting in the way of getting out this year. I have only had 3 half day trips so far. Lots of days at an on call job, in New York last week, and my daughter's wedding yesterday. Family from out of state staying at the house until today. Some free time going ahead now I hope.
Congratulations on your daughter's nuptials!

Plenty of season left. It's really just getting started.
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:40 PM #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post

Thank you!

www.teasersportfishing.com
ChrisD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:02 PM #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post

Reminding myself of that. I finished installing garage door motors today in my new garage. Last major project of my major renovation. Just some minor finish work now.

Sadly family/friend stuff for awhile now. Fingers crossed a week from Monday or Thursday I can get out after work from about 2:30pm on. Otherwise November is booked solid. At least my wifeís uncle is visiting this coming Thursday and Friday. Hitting PG for some sporting clays one day and the range the other. Only person on either side who is also in to guns and hunting, so I donít begrudge a visit.

One problem with public land hunting is just sitting in one spot doesnít mean you will have a deer walk by you, even if it is a likely spot. Some other hunter(s), or horseback riders, hikers,
Etc. might have pushed them away from where you are...

But, yeah I realized Iíve been out on 4 different days for about 3 days worth of hunting since not all were full days. 1 spike taken.

With my renovation dying down and my neighborís schedule freeing up, Iíll probably be out the last 2 days of early gun hunting western MD, the 2 days of late gun on the eastern shore and if I am even modestly lucky Iíll be able to get out for a day or two, or at least half days the week of Christmas for late ML and maybe another day or three after work. Iíll probably also hunt at least a day or two of the winter turkey season with a crossbow, so if I come across any deer...

Iíve got probably twice as much time in the field coming up then Iíve already spent.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:56 AM #409

Shot this young 8pt last Wednesday evening. First bow kill. Just got into bow hunting so I am happy with this one.
Attached Images

CGrant726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:05 AM #410
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

Congrats on the harvest!

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports