Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 20th, 2019, 01:21 PM #11

On par for the money seems to be the most glowing review ive come across. It doesnt have to be gorgeous but not sloppy and functional wpuld be great. Kinda like me after a saturday night out.
DetectiveWildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 10:03 PM #12

American Handgunner editor Roy Hunington and custom gunsmith Gary Reeder have both recently commented on the quality of the new marlins. Though I'm not shopping hard, I haven't seen a new one in a gun store, ever. Always shopping for one in .44 old or new. And yes, I could easily buy one on the internet, but having a target gives me good reason to stop at literally any gun store I see!
Moyaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 04:18 PM #13

Marlin hopefully will get their act together. They've been dicking around for 11 years now.

As Henry starts expanding the models to which they're adding side loading gates, they might just make up Marlin's mind for them.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 04:55 PM #14

They have gotten better. I think the QC is better than it used to be but there is a lot of value engineering going on. The base models are right for the money (which is basically Rossi money) the higher lines not so sure.

Everyone will jump on and say buy a JM that might not be realistic for someone who wants a good hard use shooting iron as opposed to a safe queen or something used occasionally.

Id classify the current stock as solidly functional with minor adjustments, think tool grade and you are not going to cry if you chip the stock.
Jimbob2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 12:41 PM #15

I bought a 795 Appleseed for my daughter. The front sight was mounted off center. I called, the picked it up and I got it back within two weeks with a one ragged hole test target. Even so, I think the best option for an open sight .22. Ymmv.
Dovk0802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 04:13 PM #16

I just bought a Marlin 1894C, I have nothing to compare it to though, other than what I've seen online. I'll definitely post here if something is amiss when I pick it up at my LGS.
Old June 19th, 2019, 11:05 AM #17

I bought a Marlin 45-70 last year... very small sample size of one, but mine had no issues and I would not hesitate to buy another one. I would like either 357 or 44 but it keeps getting pushed to the bottom of my priority list
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 04:02 PM #18
MSI EM

MSI EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers917 View Post
I bought a new 336 .30-30 a few months ago. Fit and finish seem good. Definitely not as nice as past marlins but it shoots well, and the action is fairly slick after oiling and cycling it a few hundred times in front of the tv. The included glass on mine was garbage and the mount was loose out of the box, but overall I'm happy with it for what I paid.
I got the same last thanksiving (w/o glass). No issues with alignment or finish and it does shoot well. Definitely needs oiling/break in. The loading gate is super tight and i figure it just needs to be worked in.
Old July 10th, 2019, 11:32 AM #19

Wasnít there another thread very similar to this one? Anyways, I posted there that I was having issues with my 1895gbl shooting extremely low at 50 yards. The fit and finish of the rifle are great. I debated sending the rifle back, because of it shooting so low. The rifle has been sitting in the safe, not being used, so last week I decided to mount a cheap scoop on it, I had laying around.
Itís a straight 4X scope, and once sighted in I got a 3 shot cloverleaf group, from the bench, right above the bullseye. All the bullet holes were touching. Then I moved out to 100 yards, and got another group, exactly like the one I shot at 50 yards.
This thing shoots great, but donít expect the iron sights, to work correctly.
Now that I know the gun will shoot, Iíll be putting on a better quality scope. Iíll probably go with a straight 4X Leupold, as this will be a 150 yard max hunting rig. Most of the shots, where Iíd take this rifle hunting are more like bow hunting ranges, 25-30 yards.
Brickman301 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 07:11 PM #20
Thread killer

Thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickman301 View Post
Wasnít there another thread very similar to this one? Anyways, I posted there that I was having issues with my 1895gbl shooting extremely low at 50 yards. The fit and finish of the rifle are great. I debated sending the rifle back, because of it shooting so low. The rifle has been sitting in the safe, not being used, so last week I decided to mount a cheap scoop on it, I had laying around.
Itís a straight 4X scope, and once sighted in I got a 3 shot cloverleaf group, from the bench, right above the bullseye. All the bullet holes were touching. Then I moved out to 100 yards, and got another group, exactly like the one I shot at 50 yards.
This thing shoots great, but donít expect the iron sights, to work correctly.
Now that I know the gun will shoot, Iíll be putting on a better quality scope. Iíll probably go with a straight 4X Leupold, as this will be a 150 yard max hunting rig. Most of the shots, where Iíd take this rifle hunting are more like bow hunting ranges, 25-30 yards.
New Marlins have had a consistent issue with sights being loose or misaligned. Great to hear the other F&F points are good.
Racer Doug14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles