Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 15th, 2010, 09:58 PM #61
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechainrule View Post
Correct me if im wrong but I do believe this round was actually developed for shooting through windshields more accurately. The small caliber faster moving round is less effected when passing through angled glass. If you look at a car after a police shoot out, if the officer used his weapon on the windshield with a .40 you will typically see bullet holes in the dashboard.
you're wrong
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot2.htm

haha thanks for the caliber debate thread guys, i think i just pee'd a little

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:08 PM #62
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
Nope, its a proprietary chambering that magazine writer Johnny Rowland, Clark custom guns and starline brass came up with. Reinforced cases that are almost the exact same dimentions, just .062" longer than 45ACP to prevent them from being used in 45ACP guns, but loaded to the same OAL, and fit in standard 45acp mags. The pressure spec is 42,500PSI, double the 21,000PSI of standard 45ACP, and 50% higher than the 28,000psi of 45 super, in fact higher pressure than 10mm, 44mag, 45 win mag, 38 super and 30-30win. This gives you about equal power to factory 44mag, and low end 44mag handloads from a 6" gun out of a 45ACP case and 5" 1911 sized pistol..

185gr(JHP) - 1550FPS - 986FPE
200gr(JHP) - 1450FPS - 933FPE
230gr(FMJ) - 1350FPS - 930FPE
260gr(LRN) - 1150FPS - 763FPE

The drop in conversion Clark custom sells uses a pretty efficient compensator to slow down the slide, and extend lock time a little bit, without it the caliber would probably require around a 30# spring, the Wilson hunter in 360 Rowland uses a 28# spring without a comp, but uses a sqare firing pin retainer, and a heavy hammer spring. My Kimber with the 460Rowland kit works best with a 20# spring and my "light" handloads, 200gr XTP at 1350FPS. The kit can also fire 45ACP and 45 super because of the tapered leade, these have slightly shorter cases, but a pistol with a good extractor can hold them aggainst the breech face well enough that they will fire, in my case they do so reliably, being they can't headspace on the chamber mouth like the Rowland cases do. The barrel is very well made, high grade stainless steel machined from bar stock, the rifling is sharp, and the finish is smooth, without a doubt it will accelerate wear on the pistol, but when used in moderation is streaches the 1911's abilities far into 44mag territory with a lot less recoil due to the comp, and in an auto. The round is also supremely accurate, and is capable of impressive groups out past 100 yards (my best so far is about 6" at 100 yards from a rest), while at 300 yards a heavy 230gr Rowland load has about the same velocity and energy with the same bullet as a standard 45ACP 1911 has at the muzzle.

While it is impressive performance, and relatively easy to throw a lot of lead quickly due to the well designed comp, it is LOUD and the flash is ridiculous, it would be unberable to shoot without ears, and the flash is blinding at night, there are also few factory loads for it, and they are expensive, it is basically relegated to hunting, targets and silouette shooting. I has also proven to be an awesome bowling pin gun with 260gr hardcast at a modest 950-1,000FPS it throws pins like nothing else, and feels about the same as standard 230gr 45acp ball loads recoil wise, but with no muzzle flip due to the comp.

Here is my Kimber with the 460 CLark custom kit and a 50yd target:
Attachment 16002
yerp, ures is fun...BOOM!....ding...BOOM!...................ding ... sure has some lag time far out.

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:31 PM #63
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post
you're wrong
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot2.htm

haha thanks for the caliber debate thread guys, i think i just pee'd a little
That pretty well illustrates the difference between energy vs momentum, energy is largely wasted in streaching soft tissue that will spring back into shape without damage, momentum helps overcome resistance in tissue, and penetrating hard cover with less deflection and more efficient soft tissue penetration given the same initial energy.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:46 PM #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetgang View Post
For those special quiet moments the Navy used Ruger MK1's.
S&W was a 686 in .357
Navy was a S&W MK II Mod 0 and it was .22LR.

686 wasn't around during Viet Nam years since it was introduced until 79-80 time frame.

We're not gonna get rid of anybody! We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be! When you side with a man, you stay with him! And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished! We're finished! All of us! Pike Bishop

NRA Life Member and Instructor
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns