• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Yes, you absolutely do need an HQL, and you still need to go thru the regular 77R application process. Under federal law a pistol frame is the firearm, stripped or not, and there's no getting around that. That's why every seller on GB that's selling stripped Glock frames requires an FFL before they'll ship it anywhere.

Yes it is the firearm (hence the xfer fees), but it isn't necessarily a pistol. You could do a rifle build with it and therefore not need an HQL. This isn't the first time this topic has been discussed, so I won't make any more posts on the HQL requirement.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Yes it is the firearm (hence the xfer fees), but it isn't necessarily a pistol. You could do a rifle build with it and therefore not need an HQL. This isn't the first time this topic has been discussed, so I won't make any more posts on the HQL requirement.

OK, fair enough, I'm not trying to start a big debate over this, all I can tell you is my personal experience buying stripped Glock frames, I did have to show my HQL and the HQL number and expiration date was entered by the dealer on the 77R. If you can find a dealer that will let you slide on that, and the application will then clear MSP scrutiny, more power to those that can skirt it. I'm not a lawyer but I would think for sure if you're building that in to a handgun you and the dealer would be in violation of the HQL requirement.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A factory stripped one that was never built into a pistol shouldn't need an HQL since it's not a pistol, but MD seems to like to make up laws. It's no more of a pistol or rifle than a stripped AR lower is.

The Glock brand Glock frames sold as stripped are take-offs from existing pistols though. Their factory replacement frames have a G prefix serial number, but they do not sell them standalone.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well, Polymer80 is shipping a replacement. And I have no reservations about giving it another go. Just have to cut this frame in half and send them the photo/shipping address.

If it fails on the 2nd go-round, I'll grab that spacer from LWD and throw the G31 slide on the compact frame at a later date.

**If the thought of getting the HQL (which I'm partially exempted on) didn't turn my stomach so, I'd have gotten a stripped frame from the get-go. But honestly, the 80% way is more interesting and involving - which appeals to me.

17035203_10212406940117986_1221135706_n.jpg

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Poly80 Compact Frame

So my compact frame arrived yesterday and I milled it out and assembled it this afternoon. Everything went pretty smoothly, if you follow their directions and take your time you should be fine. There were a few minor issues that arose during milling and assembly, but I'm not going to go in to detail about those right now. Everything fits and functions just like you would expect it to on any Glock. One thing I noticed is the stainless rear rails are considerably beefier looking than factory Glock rails, both in length and thickness, at some point I'll put a micrometer on both these and the factory rear rails and see what the difference is, but these look like they should last a long time. I like the texture on the grips, not too aggressive, just right. I greased up the slide rail grooves and the rails on the frame and I hope to take it for a test drive on Friday, I'll try to give a range report then or on the weekend. If everything goes well I think I'll install an Apex Tactical trigger on this gun and a few other refinements.

Attachments

• DSCF1835.jpg
      DSCF1835.jpg
      76.4 KB · Views: 492
    • DSCF1836.jpg
      DSCF1836.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 493

turbogrimace

Jan 21, 2014
    northern maryland
    Looks great! Where did you order yours from to get it so soon? Are the rails black nitride? Polymer80 noticed what they called premature wear on the top of the rails after a few thousand rounds and decided to hold shipment for a bit in order to nitride the locking block rail system.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Looks great! Where did you order yours from to get it so soon? Are the rails black nitride? Polymer80 noticed what they called premature wear on the top of the rails after a few thousand rounds and decided to hold shipment for a bit in order to nitride the locking block rail system.

Pre-ordered it in late January from Rainier Arms, they claimed they'd be the first to ship and I got ship notification about 4 or 5 days ago. Yes, the front locking block and rails are black nitrided, the drop in rear rail module is one piece stainless. If these turn out to be a success for Polymer80 I'm hoping they'll eventually release Flat Dark Earth and/or OD Green frames.

turbogrimace

Jan 21, 2014
    northern maryland
    Excellent! I ordered one through brownells to get the discount, but who knows how long shipping will take.

Did you finish yours on a mill? Any pointers?

I'm interested to see about holster compatibility as well.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Excellent! I ordered one through brownells to get the discount, but who knows how long shipping will take.

Did you finish yours on a mill? Any pointers?

I'm interested to see about holster compatibility as well.

Staring at the picture of the completed 19 and I noticed that it looks like your frame does not have th accelerator ramps on it. Maybe it's just the lighting.

What's an accelerator ramp..??

I finished it on a drill press. If I had to do it over again I would mill off the top of the frame just like they tell you to with the end mill, but for the saddle in the barrel / recoil spring channel I'd use a Dremel and small sanding drum. The problem for me is I have only a simple drill vise for holding the jig, and you just slowly and carefully move the vise around with the jig locked in it to mill off the excess plastic pieces on the top of the frame. With the barrel channel saddle it's hard to control, the plastic is very thin and that big ol' end mill spinning at high speed tends to "bite" which will make your jig and vice jerk around, and you can quickly take off a chunk of material in places you don't want to. Unless you've got a machinist cross vice that you can bolt down to your drill press that will give you total directional control, I'd recommend the Dremel for the saddle, just use the right size sanding drum and go slow, and it should be a piece of cake because the saddle is thin plastic and not very large. I started removing my barrel channel saddle with the end mill but ended up finishing it off with the Dremel when I realized I could potentially end up ruining the frame by continuing with the end mill.

It will fit in a Bladetech Revolution holster... sort of... You would need to get longer adjustment screws and wider rubber spacers (or use the originals and add washers) and then you'd need to go to work on the inside of the holster with a dremel to get the "snap in" protrusions to fit in to the trigger guard on the Poly80, which is both wider and a much different shape than the Glock.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's worth every penny you spend when you build your own "ghost guns"!

Could careless about a ghost gun. Having built 1.5 and almost 2 AR-15s now I friggen love it. I can see a lot of appeal to building a pistol from an 80% (or an AR from an 80%). I'd rather the "receiver" of the pistol were just as inexpensive, as I don't know that I care that much about machining out the receiver, but I've done more complicated machining and fabrication before. That and that it was a virgin receiver that could be transferred as an "other"

To me it is also spitting in Frosh's eye. Don't have my HQL, unless it turns out that the lawsuit fails I frankly don't know that I'll ever get an HQL. In the mean time the cost of an HQL and a Glock probably is NOT cheaper than getting an 80% and parts, machining it out and building one. I have my hunter's safety course, but it still means going and getting finger printed, application fee, etc. which adds, what? About another $120-150 or so to the cost of the pistol. Plus time and hassle between that and the 77r or an alternate legal method to own one.

If I own a pistol (other than the AR pistol I am almost done with) in the next couple of years it'll likely be because I machined one out of an 80% or made from some other virgin receiver that can transfer as "other" on a 77r or I have a family member who wants to give me one and the HQL provisions haven't gotten tossed out on their ear as patently unconsitutional.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    That was my friend's thought process as well. It was cheaper for him to get an 80% frame than do an HQL. He only needs one handgun anyway before he leaves MD.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Replacement shipped today.

We'll see if my early frame was just a fluke. I run shit until it breaks, so let's see how this one holds up. It took nearly 17 to 18K rounds before something broke on my M&P, so the bar is set kind of high.

turbogrimace

Jan 21, 2014
    northern maryland
    Accelerator ramps or cuts are angled grooves just above and toward the front of the trigger guard on the frame. It allows you to put downward force on the frame with the thumb on your support hand.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Accelerator ramps or cuts are angled grooves just above and toward the front of the trigger guard on the frame. It allows you to put downward force on the frame with the thumb on your support hand.

Yeah there are some kind of angled grooves or whatever on there, it's on both sides of the frame but they're fairly shallow so I don't know how much help they'd be.

Attachments

• DSCF1837.jpg
      DSCF1837.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 448

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Not a glock, but also not a product yet.... seen someone teasing this idea out there.....

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpg
      IMG_1831.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 443

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one.

I wish they wouldn't call these Ghost Guns though. The anti-gun lobby, which by the way is huge and powerful, is seizing on this "ghost gun" terminology to portray 80% builds as a way for people to break the law, which we know is nonsense, but nevertheless they are using it against us. I wish this company had thought this name through a little more carefully, because words matter, and they can come back to bite you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom