• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Do you really need to go to there class ?
    You can reach out to veterans in the area and probably get the same training for a case of beer.
    And for firearm training I'm sure if you buy the ammo and, pizza the grunt will come

So you are saying the everyday frontline combat veteran has the same skills and knowledge as an 18D trained SEAL Team or SF medic?

I'll take the knowledge and experience of an actual trained medic over an unfortunate soldier who happened to have had to put a tourniquet or dressing on himself or someone else.

And no thanks on the everyday grunt teaching firearms. I know plenty and they shoot for shit.
    You put a lot of stock into having been in combat, don't you?

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    So you are saying the everyday frontline combat veteran has the same skills and knowledge as an 18D trained SEAL Team or SF medic?

I'll take the knowledge and experience of an actual trained medic over an unfortunate soldier who happened to have had to put a tourniquet or dressing on himself or someone else.

And no thanks on the everyday grunt teaching firearms. I know plenty and they shoot for shit.

You put a lot of stock into having been in combat, don't you?

I can't confirm what type of basic medical training military personnel receive (obviously medics and special forces go through more). What I do know is that the medical training I go through is basic, first aid, cpr and basically what to do to stop bleeding until someone with more training arrives. Knowing that, I wouldn't go and teach medical treatment and I wouldn't want to take a class from someone who only
    knows basic medical treatment. I would want someone who not only has extensive knowledge but also the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 21, 2011
    I can tell you after becoming a Emt in Maryland and taking the national registery. I learn more in the army for trauma . And I wasn't bashing anyone I was giving advice for training. I sure some fellow veterans would love to teach what they learned. And as for grunts teaching firearm I was a private in the Army teaching police departments sniper training. It a ****ing sham you offer advice turns into this

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Since some folks here know those at Dark Angel, do you think there's an opportunity to set up a class here in Maryland? Perhaps there are enough of us here who would sign up and have them come in to train us. I would also take that opportunity to buy a kit based on recommendations from Dark Angel and what they think the average person may need.

bobbo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 21, 2011
    Only down fall to there kit is the lack of a chest seal
    Or decompression needle and NASOPHARYNGEAL .

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I'd absolutely take a dark angel class. I'm reading about them and haven't stopped since seeing this post. Been looking for trauma kits to take to the range so glad I found this

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

They are well thought out kits. Easy to use if you have to. I take mine everywhere, range, hunting and vacation. Their classes are bit pricey but you do get a DARK Med kit with the class.

I will send an email to them and ask about the possibility of them hosting a class out here. I'll post back what I hear.

If anyone is interested let me know so I can have a rough estimate of how many people would want to attend.

They are well thought out kits. Easy to use if you have to. I take mine everywhere, range, hunting and vacation. Their classes are bit pricey but you do get a DARK Med kit with the class.

I will send an email to them and ask about the possibility of them hosting a class out here. I'll post back what I hear.

If anyone is interested let me know so I can have a rough estimate of how many people would want to attend.

I'll check with a few people and gauge interest, including some people outside of MDS

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

The kit comes with a chest seal (HALO, I think), unless they dropped that when they went to newer generations of the kit. Given how much time we spent on their use, however, I doubt they dropped them from the kit.

As for the needle, the class does not cover their use. Therefore, the kit does not come with one.

For everyone else, IF someone brings Dark Angel here, the cost of the class includes one of their kits. So unless you want more than one, don't buy one only to discover that they hand you one on Day One. Just FYI.

I'd be shocked if they're not back in Chantilly in 2018. F3 Tactical hosted them.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I can tell you after becoming a Emt in Maryland and taking the national registery. I learn more in the army for trauma . And I wasn't bashing anyone I was giving advice for training. I sure some fellow veterans would love to teach what they learned. And as for grunts teaching firearm I was a private in the Army teaching police departments sniper training. It a ****ing sham you offer advice turns into this

Which police departments?
    You never said you went to sniper school and amassed that much combat experience by E2 to hit the mobile training circuit.
    Far from the typical "grunt".

bobbo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 21, 2011
    I was on division PSD primary job was Srt defensive Marksman/Observer. We trained local swat teams in the NC. As for grunts training the was more of a blanket statement there plenty of knowledge out there. It you follow the Optempo of today's soldiers
    the primary mission is training IA /AA Army.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Since some folks here know those at Dark Angel, do you think there's an opportunity to set up a class here in Maryland? Perhaps there are enough of us here who would sign up and have them come in to train us. I would also take that opportunity to buy a kit based on recommendations from Dark Angel and what they think the average person may need.

Tried to get a class together for them to come here and it is quite pricey but well worth it in my opinion. Trouble was that as always, everyone wants the class until it comes time to take it. I couldn't get the minimum folks together to make the class worth while from an expense standpoint.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was on division PSD primary job was Srt defensive Marksman/Observer. We trained local swat teams in the NC. As for grunts training the was more of a blanket statement there plenty of knowledge out there. It you follow the Optempo of today's soldiers
    the primary mission is training IA /AA Army.

As a private huh? That's remarkable.

bobbo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 21, 2011
    You will be amazed what being soldier of the quarter
    And a 300 pt score gets you in the 82nd.

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    Dealt with that in January with an unresponsive male. Had to do CPR and all. When I got to the location one of my guys was there already working on him, while 3 other grown men just stared and didn't offer any assistance, didn't know a single thing to do. One of the 3 is of the "I'm hot shit" variety so I wasn't surprised he froze.

First of all, kudos to you for doing CPR. I frequently use the line "Can't make dead deader." Taking action is incredibly important and valuable.

With that said, I would implore you--and everyone else in this thread--to take it easy on the people who freeze. You can be a good person, and even reliable in certain types of crises, and still wind up being a deer in the headlights in an emergency medical incident. Ask any paramedic if he or she has ever choked up on a call; if that person says no, s/he is either inexperienced or lying to you. I've done it myself, though I won't share the story in this forum, and so too have all of the people I'd let work on my family.

As a Maryland EMT trained to the NR standard curriculum, two modules of your nine-module class focused on trauma, and most of that hands-on time focused on applying various splints appropriate to the civilian population and practice environment in which you are expected to serve. That which the military requires is... somewhat more focused.

Also, Maryland only went to National Registry for EMTs about 18 months ago, so you're a fairly new EMT. Given that, and the learning law of primacy (that which is learned first is retained best), I'm not surprised you found your military trauma training superior.

Good luck defending doing a needle decompression on a civilian in a civilian context under Good Samaritan laws. I've been trained to do it and it's in my scope of practice in Maryland, and I'd still think twice before doing it if I was at a range outside the state.

The rest of your comments, I'll leave in Blaster229's capable hands.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    99.9% of any civilian placing a chest seal within any city/urban setting with nearby facilities and EMS service will most likely not require the administer to do a decomp. Right? Needle is a moot point then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom