• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    It is a good range but they have a no rapid fire rule, or "one shot every 2 seconds minimum" which ruins the shooting experience somewhat. I go there to work on accuracy but there really is not point in shooting once every 2 seconds. With modern semi-auto's you need less than .5 seconds to be back on target.

Anyways its not the RSO's fault, I assume its because its county owned. Most of the RSO's are cool.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Better than no range at all. I have no problem with rate restrictions, but the baffle construction gives me claustrophobia ... reminds me of shooting in a barrel

Last edited:

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I'm heading up there Saturday morning (tomorrow). What is the best time to arrive? Earlier in this thread someone said 9:30 but I wanted to double check since that post was years old. Thanks in advance.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    I was there today with my daughter. Arrived at 10:00 and found all rifle lanes full with a waiting list. Glad we brought some handguns a we could only stay for about 90 minutes. There were a few other folks on the pistol range but plenty of available lanes. The RO's were great and we had a really good time!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I was there today with my daughter. Arrived at 10:00 and found all rifle lanes full with a waiting list. Glad we brought some handguns a we could only stay for about 90 minutes. There were a few other folks on the pistol range but plenty of available lanes. The RO's were great and we had a really good time!

That's crazy on a Friday...never had to wait during the week when I went.

I always bring a handgun or two...no use in waiting without shooting something.

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Got room in the backyard to shoot, but I may head over there sometime soon gotta break in the new AR ! Gotta get some rapid fire outta the way first though! I haven't been to hap in prolly 7 years so it should be something different and $10 isn't all that bad!

TurboB13

Jun 20, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Was just there a few hours ago, shooting my new Glock 34 as well as my Dad's 54 cal Flint Lock, and 58 cal cap fire rifle. My friend David also came with his H&K USP (9mm) and Beretta M9 (40S&W) as well as his newly built AR15 (.223). Anyway, not sure if anyone from here was there, but I love this facility. The people are great, the range officers are nice/informative and will definitely assist you in any way they can. The one gentlemen there (I don't think I caught his name) helped us with our flint-lock as we had a no-spark condition.

Anyway, definitely recommended. I'll be coming back very soon, name's Adam...so if anyone here is there please say hi! I'll usually be wearing my grey Washington Capitals hat...and shooting those big bruising BP rifles, and the two-toned Glock 34.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I might slide up tomorrow afternoon after the York show.

Gotta run some more rounds through my G19 and also hopefully sight in the 6920.

I'm hoping there wont be a long line on the rifle range.

Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    Does anyone know if you have to bring unloaded mags? I have a new AK to try out and I got a little too excited and loaded a bunch of mags, not thinking that most place only allow you to bring unloaded mags and load them there. Hate to unload then reload them if I don have to...

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Does anyone know if you have to bring unloaded mags? I have a new AK to try out and I got a little too excited and loaded a bunch of mags, not thinking that most place only allow you to bring unloaded mags and load them there. Hate to unload then reload them if I don have to...

The only thing the RO does is ask if you live in or out of the county, has you fill out a small form with your name, range rules, and takes your $$. When a cease fire is called, they inspect any uncased gun, on the line or on the table behind. They have never inspected my ammo or mags.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    It is a good range but they have a no rapid fire rule, or "one shot every 2 seconds minimum" which ruins the shooting experience somewhat. I go there to work on accuracy but there really is not point in shooting once every 2 seconds. With modern semi-auto's you need less than .5 seconds to be back on target.

Anyways its not the RSO's fault, I assume its because its county owned. Most of the RSO's are cool.

I agree. While I don't have to rapid fire, I do shoot better when I get in to a rythym and for me, it's faster then one round every two seconds.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I've been there once - about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Shooting through the boxes is a little weird. At one point a guy, (must have been a regular but it shouldn't excuse him) was standing up shooting downrange right in front of the RSO and nobody stopped him. a couple of minutes later the RSO came over to where my son and I were at to tell me to make sure I kept the barrel in the box...which it was the whole time...WTF? I wanted to ask him about the guy standing up and shooting but I didn't. I also noticed a few people handling their weapons during the ceasefire but that seemed to be ok with the RSO also as he didn't say anything to anyone although I had a feeling if we had gotten within 3 feet of our guns he would have tripped over himself to stop us from touching one.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I've been there once - about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Shooting through the boxes is a little weird. At one point a guy, (must have been a regular but it shouldn't excuse him) was standing up shooting downrange right in front of the RSO and nobody stopped him. a couple of minutes later the RSO came over to where my son and I were at to tell me to make sure I kept the barrel in the box...which it was the whole time...WTF? I wanted to ask him about the guy standing up and shooting but I didn't. I also noticed a few people handling their weapons during the ceasefire but that seemed to be ok with the RSO also as he didn't say anything to anyone although I had a feeling if we had gotten within 3 feet of our guns he would have tripped over himself to stop us from touching one.

I was a member there for many years. I used to always stand and shoot my rifle. Has that changed?

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    They have these wooden boxes on the table with a sign saying the barrel must remain in the box while firearm is in use or some such language.

Glockman

Jun 20, 2011
    You can stand up and shoot, as long as you step up to the red line (but stay behind it).

I don't much care for the one shot every 2 seconds rule. Seems pointless and ridiculous to me. But it's not my range, so I can't change the rules.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    You can stand up and shoot, as long as you step up to the red line (but stay behind it).

I don't much care for the one shot every 2 seconds rule. Seems pointless and ridiculous to me. But it's not my range, so I can't change the rules.

Ok, I didn't realize that - my bad.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Went to Hap Baker for the first time yesterday. Great experience, and I wanted to thank the RO's who were very helpful. Especially, the gentleman who loaned my 10 yo daughter his T/C Hot Shot youth rifle. It fit her much better than the 90 year old Remington pump I had for her. He spent a lot of time with her and she had a great time.

I need a lot more practice if I'm going to stay out ahead of her!!

Thanks All!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom