• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I just moved to the Kensington area, and I'm looking for an outdoor range that's not too far away.

I found the WAC of the IWL up in Damascus, MD through a web search, and it looks appealing. Is anyone here a member? Can you tell me a little about the chapter members? Big group? Small group of regulars? It looks like they have a pretty busy chapter calendar, and that's encouraging.

I was a member of BRGC in Bowie for several years until I moved out of the area. Now I live here agin, but Bowie is pretty far away, and I'd like to find a similar place, but closer. The IWL in Damascus seems pretty similar.

Anyone?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    It would be helpful to know which shooting sports you are interested in.

I'm not a Damascus member, but am a member of Rockville and Mt. Airy chapters because there is wide variation between what these two chapters offer in the way of range facilities.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Mostly interested in modern rifle and modern pistol shooting, and general plinking with my stepsons, although I see the WAL Chapter appears to have a cowboy action league, which as always intrigued me.

But proximity is the appeal, too. It's about 20 miles from my new digs, as opposed to BWRG, which I liked a lot when I was a member, but is now a 1-hour plus drive away.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A neighbor is a member and I've been thinking of joining. A word of caution on the cowboy action league. From what I've been told, if you don't dress the part you may not participate. That would be a turn off for me (or I should say I would choose not to participate in the league because of that).

Nice facilities, but the rifle range is only 100yds.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I'm a member. I don't shoot rifle much. Some handgun. I'm a range officer for the shotgun range so I'm very familiar with Skeet/Trap/5 stand. I can tell you the rifle and pistol ranges are empty during the day on weekdays. There's 2 pistol ranges so most of the time I'm on a range by myself. Sometimes one other person. The weekends are a little busier but not crazy. Pm me if you have any further questions.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'm a member. I don't shoot rifle much. Some handgun. I'm a range officer for the shotgun range so I'm very familiar with Skeet/Trap/5 stand. I can tell you the rifle and pistol ranges are empty during the day on weekdays. There's 2 pistol ranges so most of the time I'm on a range by myself. Sometimes one other person. The weekends are a little busier but not crazy. Pm me if you have any further questions.

Is there still a wait list for new members like there was a few years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom