• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    I honestly don't know. My interview is scheduled in Frederick MD. I think that's the closest to where I reside (germantown)
    There is a Rockville Barrack.

Wow if they intend to "Shelve" apps pending the outcome of the appeal they surely didn't waste time cashing checks to get their money! I think the check cashing should be pending the permit, i.e. rule on my permit for/against and then cash my check.
    Fat chance

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    My check was cashed on the 9th. No phone call yet. It'll be interesting to see how the process works now.

Maybe (wishful thinking) their system is going to be something like:
    Receive application
    Cash Check
    Schedule Interview
    Contact References
    Conduct Interview
    Shelve (but not approve or disapprove applications)
    Wait for whatever they are waiting on
    Provide decision.

If that is the case, good for us that they are not waiting on a decision to start the process. If they get the leg work done while a decision is pending, that much simpler to finish the process in short order.
    Again, if that is the case, seems to be good for us.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Interesting that they would still do interviews.

I forget the exact wording in Judge Legg's ruling, but I wonder at what point (if at all) that would be seen as an unreasonable burden??

I too am curious as to the line of questioning that will take place.
    Also, what might be the meaning of the troopers statement that the applications will be handled like any other?

Per Judge Legg's decision:
    A citizen may not be required to offer a “good and substantial reason”
    why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.

1/2 hr drive to barracks
    Trooper: Why do you want a firearms permit?
    Applicant: Because it is my right which was recently reafirmed by Judge Legg.
    Trooper: Thank you. Have a nice day.
    1/2 hr drive home

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Why would they wait? The fee has always been non-refundable. Win, lose, or draw the money was theirs the minute you applied!
    As I understand it, if someone got to the interview stage and didn't have a "G&S" reason for the permit, the officers would say that there was no way the applicant would be getting a permit. Wouldn't they like to with draw their application and keep their check to the state?

This is how the state claims such a high rate of approved applicants.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    Have you looked at your canceled check - There was a number written on the front, bottom left. I was curious if you had the same thing?

My check also had a number in lower right. Looks like 81117. But a little hard to read. No call yet for interview.

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    I think MSP needs to be very careful with their interview questions. They could very easily get into G&S. When you go for your interview, I think you should take some notes, especially if they seem to be edging into G&S.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I think MSP needs to be very careful with their interview questions. They could very easily get into G&S. When you go for your interview, I think you should take some notes, especially if they seem to be edging into G&S.
    I think that anything besides asking your name at the interview will be leading into G&S, if you think about it for a minute thats about the only reason for the interview.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Not really. The general consensus among the public was that it was not worth applying at all (due to the fact that applicants would most likely be denied) Those that did apply (polititians, doctors, security guards etc) pretty much knew they had a "better" chance....the rest of us no.

As I understand it, if someone got to the interview stage and didn't have a "G&S" reason for the permit, the officers would say that there was no way the applicant would be getting a permit. Wouldn't they like to with draw their application and keep their check to the state?

This is how the state claims such a high rate of approved applicants.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Until we have a stay, if they ask you "why" you want a permit, are they not in contempt of court? The interview at this point IMHO is a complete waste of everybody's time. What could thay possibly ask, that was not covered in the background check and that could not be used against them?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Hey all. I got a call this morning from a MSP Trooper regarding my handgun application. They just received the application last Thursday on the 8th so I was taken a bit by surprise by the call to schedule the interview portion of the process.

The conversation was amicable and very respectful. I actually felt bad for the Trooper as he remarked that he is not really clear what the interview would entail since the questions they ask are geared toward money handling and the like.

He mentioned he would be talking to his supervisor prior to my interview to get clarification on what he should ask me (my app stated "Self defense and all lawful purposes). I said "well...you can, at the very least, witness yourself that I'm not some lunatic off the street" and we both chuckled. He was very down to earth, respectful and said they he will be treating the app like any other. I told him that I respected the work they do and that I understand that he is just doing his job (he said "yep..I'm way down the totem pole"....I’m just doing what they are asking me to do").

The trooper stated that they he would be calling my references today and that he would document the findings BUT that most likely the application would be "shelved" pending the outcome from the courts. He specifically stated that they are waiting for the appeals process to run its course so that they have definitive guidance from higher up as to what to do next.

I will be meeting with the Trooper next Friday on the 23rd for my interview. I will update when that happens.

I will NOT name the trooper as it’s irrelevant at this point but would be happy to share those specific details with MSI or SAF if they are indeed keeping track of this type of info.

Well done!! You handled it perfectly. :thumbsup:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Until we have a stay, if they ask you "why" you want a permit, are they not in contempt of court? The interview at this point IMHO is a complete waste of everybody's time. What could thay possibly ask, that was not covered in the background check and that could not be used against them?

Permit me to respectfully disagree. They are processing the apps. That is GOOD. They can and will continue to apply 5(ii) pending resolution of the stay motion. So, if you actually have a G&S reason, you get the permit. If you don't have G&S, they will so note. I agreed that those apps then go on the shelve to await the outcome of the appeal (sooner if they fail to get a stay pending appeal). In fact, I am delighted with that "on the shelve" response from the Trooper. When and if we win that appeal (or they fail to get a stay), those applications get dusted off. Since everything else is done on that application, that allows State to act on the permit right away. That's the right way to do it. So if you want to get in line to get a permit, proceed accordingly. You really have very little to lose if you have already filed the application. If it were me (and my application will get finalized when I can find the time from work) I would go in very polite and respectful and when asked what your G&S reason is, simply say: Self defense and all other lawful purposes under the 2A to the Constitution.... If they say: That's it? I would say "yes" Ask questions politely. Report back. Caveat: I am not telling or advising anyone what to do here. This is not legal advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom