• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    All nice bucks! :)

Was out yesterday morning; at 0800 hours a nice 6 point walked in front of me; 30 yard shot. Sadly I had to let it walk; can't shoot the bucks this week. :mad54:

Didn't see anything else.

Going to go back out Friday morning.

Maryland_Pinz

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was kicking myself the day before because I had a doe walk right past me within no more than 10 feet, right when I was starting to get settled in. I didn't even have a chance to check distances w/ the range finder yet, and here she comes. I probably could have made a decent shot from my hip, but of course, wanted a clean and swift kill, so I tried to focus on her w/ my scope, but couldn't get a good view of her. After she bolted, me having not made the shot, I realized that my 3x to 9x scope was set on 9x from the previous weeks shooting at the range, and once I dialed it back to 3x, I had no problem seeing again. What a rookie mistake! Anyhow, it all worked out, b/c the next day I got the previously pictured buck, and I'm glad that he was my first one insted of the doe (but I really would have been happy with either, though). My next goal is to get one w/ my compound bow or crossbow.

Wilcam47, is that deer cart the one from Cabelas? I just ordered what looks to be the same one and was wondering what you thought of it and how it compares to a deer drag or a deer sled?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was kicking myself the day before because I had a doe walk right past me within no more than 10 feet, right when I was starting to get settled in. I didn't even have a chance to check distances w/ the range finder yet, and here she comes. I probably could have made a decent shot from my hip, but of course, wanted a clean and swift kill, so I tried to focus on her w/ my scope, but couldn't get a good view of her. After she bolted, me having not made the shot, I realized that my 3x to 9x scope was set on 9x from the previous weeks shooting at the range, and once I dialed it back to 3x, I had no problem seeing again. What a rookie mistake! Anyhow, it all worked out, b/c the next day I got the previously pictured buck, and I'm glad that he was my first one insted of the doe (but I really would have been happy with either, though). My next goal is to get one w/ my compound bow or crossbow.

Wilcam47, is that deer cart the one from Cabelas? I just ordered what looks to be the same one and was wondering what you thought of it and how it compares to a deer drag or a deer sled?

I think thats where my wife got it...i can say it helps out tons! its pretty stable since its wide. ive seen some that are narrow and they tip over easily...only thing i dont like about it is if you dont tie the legs up they can get caught in the spokes and stop the wheel from moving...but I assume that can happen on any like this...other than that it makes an easier move through the woods...

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Buck10-21-11.jpg

That "sled" or "snow board" would work very well in the snow; to drag a deer out :thumbsup:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I use a round snow board for hauling dead foxes, beavers, and whatnot from trapping locations back to the truck, so a bigger one should work well for a deer.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I just built my deer carrier / (mostly a corn hauler) a few weeks ago.
    $40.00 project and works great. Screwed, Glued, and Lag Screwed, solid as a rock, and comes along over dead falls and stumps just grand.

Attachments

• deer cart 1.jpg
      deer cart 1.jpg
      49 KB · Views: 101
    • deer cart 2.jpg
      deer cart 2.jpg
      57 KB · Views: 100

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Been lurking a little, and I hate to introduce myself in this fashion, but what the heck--gotta start somewhere! I'm new to hunting, never having been taught by anyone and growing up in an area that is not very friendly to hunters. In fact, most of the people I know think that hunting is unethical (I know... it's a bunch of crap!). Anyhow, I got my first deer on day 2 of muzzleloader season. I've been out w/ compound bow and crossbow, but haven't had any luck there yet. I'm definately going to keep trying during bow season. I've made a few mistakes along the way, but am learning as I go. Here's a picture of the first deer that I have ever taken, and he was sacrificed on public land in Frederick County. I was almost the 2nd one to be sacrificed myself dragging him out of the woods on a sled. I always figured it would be tough, but no where near that difficult! Anyhow, next time I will field dress the deer to make the drag back to the vehicle quicker/easier. BTW, I took him w/ my T/C Encore Pro Hunter--I love that gun!

Buck10-21-11.jpg
    When you get #two; May I suggest you turn the deer around. :innocent0
    Attaching the rear hooves to the pull rope will also help. :thumbsup:
    Also: if you purchase a sled for deer, get an orange one! Can't be too safe? :D

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I let her go knowing I can get her anytime I wanted since I didn't give myself away. I guess I'm mellowing with age because in recent years I've let more go then I ever thought I would. Today was a bit more special since I really got a show put on for me. :thumbsup::cool:

Same here more often than not now I let a lot walk. Maybe getting soft, or lazy. Shootings the easy part, then comes the field dressing, dragging, & butchering.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Well I didn't see a single deer last afternoon (Friday). I would of thought that the storm front that moved in late last night/early this AM would've had them out and about.

Shitty weather this morning; maybe it'll clear up for late afternoon....?

I have to to tell guys; this past early muzzleloader season has not been like the one's before it. Normally where I hunt; it sounds like the Normandy Omaha beach landings during the early season. Not this year though... Very few reports of muzzleloaders, and most of it is distant.

Makes you wonder about the state of the deer population sometimes.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Well I didn't see a single deer last afternoon (Friday). I would of thought that the storm front that moved in late last night/early this AM would've had them out and about.

Shitty weather this morning; maybe it'll clear up for late afternoon....?

I have to to tell guys; this past early muzzleloader season has not been like the one's before it. Normally where I hunt; it sounds like the Normandy Omaha beach landings during the early season. Not this year though... Very few reports of muzzleloaders, and most of it is distant.

Makes you wonder about the state of the deer population sometimes.
    Same here: I was out yesterday and I didn't see anything except for someone (hopefully the landowner) walking across private property to get to the edge of public hunting land (which I hiked a mile in to get to). I had been sitting there for 3 hours in the tree stand when this guy decides to walk in during prime hunting time. Needless to say, I didn't see a thing. He made a racket and I'm guessing probably didn't bother to de-scent, let alone climb up in a tree stand. I did however hear two shots in the area I abandoned because it was over crowded. I'm looking forward to bow season returning. There are fewer people willing to take time off from work and hunt during the week. I'll have the place to myself again soon.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Bleh, what do deer do in snowing sleet in late october? I bet hunkered down under the bamboo or pine trees.

Again- bleh. I hope this isn't a trend for this year. My trapping will suck. Of course some years the foxes all died of mange and I catch maybe 8-9 and about half are too mangy to do anything with.

I too noticed very few shots during the 3 day and again, only handful this whole week of antlerless. I think I heard a couple shots at the neighbors, which is good. 19 deer around last winter turns into? and every bit of help thinning them is good.

My taxidermy season has been even more shitty...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom