• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Even with good glass, it is often very hard to see at long range due to atmospheric conditions. Before we had steel, we tried Shoot-N-See targets, which could sometimes be seen through the haze and mirage we usually deal with, but we often couldn't. We also used 7" paper plates on stakes. We would place the staked targets on the berm and you could see splashes pretty easily if you missed the paper plate. Hits on the plate were obscured by the paper plate, so if the splash didn't show, it was a pretty good assumption the bullet struck the paper plate.

For long range without club membership, Virginia International Raceway, down on the border of VA and NC, has a 1,000 yard range that can be leased on a daily basis. The (up to) 1,000 yard range also has an elevated shooting platform, which can be interesting. I can't remember what the rate was, maybe close to $1000/day, but with 8-10 people, an early start and a full day it can be practical.
    http://virnow.com/experience/shooting-club/

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Trying to stay on topic here as it has changed a bit, but I believe in a good way.
    Given that and seeing the heart beat variable being mentioned, I have a Dr. friend I shoot with that is able to slow his heart?? any one know of this as 1x to 24x my heart still moves my rifle, 10" barrel or 18" barrel.

Any good knowledge/articles on heart beat?

Years ago a saw a piece on Discovery UK on Olympic shooters. They attached IR lasers to the rifles, and videoed the targets. And found something strange, they could see the heartbeat in the IR beam on target. At the moment before the shot was fired, the heartbeat motion stopped.

So they hooked up EKG to the shooters and found the top shooters would actually pause their heartbeat

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Years ago a saw a piece on Discovery UK on Olympic shooters. They attached IR lasers to the rifles, and videoed the targets. And found something strange, they could see the heartbeat in the IR beam on target. At the moment before the shot was fired, the heartbeat motion stopped.

So they hooked up EKG to the shooters and found the top shooters would actually pause their heartbeat

Well, you can't exactly pause it. You can slow it down though. Controlling you breathing helps that. You can also bear down and stimulate the vagus nerve, if you don't pass out. LOL

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well, you can't exactly pause it. You can slow it down though. Controlling you breathing helps that. You can also bear down and stimulate the vagus nerve, if you don't pass out. LOL

No, the show showed that they found that top Olympic shooters paused their rhythm.

Bump, Bump, Bump, .......Bump, Bump, Bump.

Clearly see in the IR laser bouncing on target AND the EKG.

We are talking about skipping a beat or two, not pausing it for seconds.

But it was right around the time the shot was fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom