• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Awesome, beautiful morning. 28 degree's. Cold, crisp and clear and quiet. Shortly after first light, it was like "Deer-O-rama" in the woods. Numerous does sprinting through the woods, back and forth. Bucks grunting and chasing them. I particularly watched a 8 pointer chasing does around me, and working the wood lines. This 8 pointer gave me countless opportunities to take him, but I had to get a second doe first. The doe I decided upon; 50 yard shot with my muzzleloader; through the twigs and branches, experienced a perfect point of entry. She went down immediately; kicked and then was still. Perfect heart and lung shot. As usual, the TC Arms Shockwave 250gr bullet did not punch through, but it performs tremendously well within the deer's chest cavity.

39e733357f067fa738a04dfe9f44718c0_large.jpg

91944da1e2a819f976168d45434653830_large.jpg

If I had my Remington 870 with me, I could've had a follow up shot on the 8 pointer. After the muzzleloader boomed, the rest of the deer and the 8 pointer just stood around; looking and thinking "what was that"? Simply amazing. Beautiful, but sometimes not too keen animals..... However, if they see you, all bets are off.

I had to wait in the stand until the rest of them ambled off, so that my position was not compromised. I think it is still huntable in the coming days; hasn't been discovered by them.

As soon as I get my hunting overalls washed, I'm going back out tonight to try to get him. Not sure if he survived the onslaught of gunshots around me this morning, but anything is possible.....

Of course, I did suffer a little "injury" as well, when I was dressing the doe out. Seems that I inadvertently stuck my knife into the inside of my right thigh, penetrated enough to bleed profusely. Have washed it out with lot's of alcohol, going to look for some superglue after I get a shower and glue the wound shut. My wife tolerates my hunting, but absolutely will not stand for blood trails in the house.....

Kindest regards,

-Will

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    fine shot indeed. well done!

might want to spend a bit of time in whittlin practice, though... I had to do that as well. My better half is similarly intolerant of blood trails. she gets especially exercised when they hit carpet...:innocent0

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    how many grains of blackpowder, pyrodex or 777 do you use?

We use the same bullet and im curious why you are not getting pass thrus with that pointy bullet? Thanks btw i use 2 50 grain 777 pellets..shoots well for me..nice shot btw...

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Nice shot/doe, I passed up everything I saw today. Going back down next weekend to re-stock the fridge, horns or no horns they all taste the same.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That's a big white middle finger.;)

That may well be but 3 things I have is, lots of 06 ammo, time and at least 75 lbs of corn. I should have given it a few minutes more but when you can't be sure if it's a tree or critter you're looking at, theres always Monday whenever I get my lazy ass outta bed....... :)

ghost

Jan 20, 2008
    Went out today, got in the woods at 1/4 till seven. A little late. Jumped 5 right off the bat, and by the time the day was gone had seen 25 deer. One decent opportunity to shoot, and gun misfired. Just tore the bolt down and cleaned it. Didn't seem gummed up, but did not fire. Came out at 11, ate and went back in at 2, with my other rifle and was thinking, I should glass that hillside, and when I looked 3 more deer took off. Not in a big hurry, but traveling through thick stuff you couldn't get a shot in. Realized the deer were there looking at me, and though I had "seen" them, when I looked at where they were.Saw one too small to shoot, and another that walked up near me, but couldn't get a shot when she decided to leave. Didn't see a buck at all today, but had one run a doe almost over me last Saturday (10 feet and coming right at me, but doe saw me and swerved, the buck had eyes only for her). Lot of deer around these days. Not like when I was a kid, and if you saw a deer track in AA county, you got excited.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    We use the same bullet and im curious why you are not getting pass thrus with that pointy bullet? Thanks btw i use 2 50 grain 777 pellets..shoots well for me..nice shot btw...

What type of muzzleloader are you using with the Shockwave?

You and I are using basically the same powder and amount. I'm using 100gr of Triple 7 myself with the 250 TC Shockwave. I've taken numerous deer over the years with this load, and I can really remember only 2 does that I had a pass through with this bullet. All the rest of the deer did not have the bullet exit them on the far side; however the lungs; in most cases, have always been pulverized by the shock that the bullet delivers inside of the chest cavity.

Whatever the case, I have never had to track a deer after using this bullet, they always go down very near the area where they were hit. It is a terrific bullet for whitetail, and I see no need to use a different bullet for them; when using my muzzleloader.

Kindest regards,

-Will

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    What type of muzzleloader are you using with the Shockwave?

I use a T/C Black Diamond and a T/C Omega, both blued with synthetic stocks. I bought them after walmart put em on sale along with the rest of the black powder inventory right after the end of the season, got a load of bullets and primers that way as well. The Black Diamond has a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40mm scope on it and the Omega has a 2.5-8x36mm vx111 on it. They both shoot well, the black Diamond is more of a pain to clean so i use it less often but the shorter barrel is handier in a treestand,. Id like to get a Savage 10ml with laminated thumbhole stock and stainless steel barrel next year but im too cheap and the Omega is as accurate as i can hold as well as ive gotten excellent customer service from them. I've tried hornadys with the red sabot, but the red sabot loads too tightly in my guns. Ive tried Powerbelts(not accurate enuf) and i have about 3 or 4 other bullets i have a large amount of. But when i wanna make sure i hit what im aiming at, i grab the omega, 2 777 pellets, a 777 209 primer and im good to go..

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Yes, I concur about your remarks concerning the Powerbelts. Not accurate. Took me a while to find a load that my Omega likes, the 100gr 777 and the 250gr Shockwave seems to be tolerated well by it.

There is also another manufacturer of good bullets, http://www.prbullet.com I have had excellent results with their bullets, most specifically the .44 QT Polymer Tip 250gr bullet. Very accurate in the Omega.

Kindest regards,

-Will

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    I walked up on 3 does this morning sleeping right next to my work spot. They bed down right between our fence line and a berm on the outside of the woods. A few weeks back I had about 5 of them just standing around watching me doing my morning routine. I think they know its a no hunting area and just like to tease me

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Thanks for the tip Will

My hunting spot is in deep woods, i have at most a 100 yd shot. Im very confident in my abilities with the Omega at that distance. Once i have some time though, id like to see what it can do at 200 yards if anything. I have as many as 7 deer at once and i have hundreds of pics on my game cam weekly...So far i have one nice 8 pointer, two more and my freezer will be full....

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i like how you have the BBQ grill in the background. definatley sheds light on the whole kill it and grill it saying.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    My buddy and I went out yesterday afternoon. A little after 5:00 he took a 160# 8 pointer with a T/C Pro Hunter using Shockwave 250 gr. bullets. He had about an 80-90 yard shot. Hit right on the left shoulder and took out the heart. The bullet went out the other side. That goofy bastard (the deer), crawled way under a sticker bush and died there. You could see the marks in the dirt where he had pushed himself back.

Here's the buck in better days:

MDGC0026-Compressed.jpg

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Deer are resilient. I've shot a buck before (last season) that took off at a full sprint for about 25 yards, leaped over a fallen tree and piled up on the other side, dead as a doornail. I think their instinct to flee danger takes over even after their brain has shut down,; keeping those legs moving on autopilot.

I just sit here and am wondering why the Shockwaves don't punch through most of my deer... I am satisfied with them; they seem to be expending all of their energy inside of the deer, which is good. But they don't like to exit the other side. Which isn't a requirement for me, just am a little perplexed by my experiences with this particular bullet.

I am going to chronograph my 777 charge/Shockwave at the range again soon. I don't remember it's velocity when I did it last time.

Kindest regards,

-Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom