• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montigre

May 16, 2016
    Here's the NRA's current official stance on the repeal:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...ler-no-protection-for-guns-it-deems-dangerous

"The NRA, on behalf of a free people, will continue to vindicate the rights of all law-abiding Americans to keep and bear the best firearms available to protect themselves and their loved ones. As we’ve been there every step of the way in the Kolbe fight, we will continue to press forward, including appealing the issue to the U.S. Supreme Court."

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    The bigger problem with a Constitutional Convention for libs were the 2A is concerned is that it is in the Bill of Rights. Rights are not the government's to give or take. You can't repeal a Right.

Right! That's why I want the administration to pass a law (or whatever it takes), specifying the 2A is not an issue where States Rights can do anything about it.

ddestruel

Jun 23, 2015
    tell that to the 4th circuit

Tell that to the 4th is right, or tell it to the 9th..... heck the list is long of the courts bending and contorting to find away around "shall not be infringed"

At this point when the push back is so much and the opportunity is possibly in our favor it may be time to define and sharply narrow the future lenses which the courts may look through things. As giving them freedom has now been proven that their intent is not to support freedom but instead confine what they fear or dislike.

An article 5 convention is another avenue but legislatively congress and the senate through pressure might find something palatable to push through

In the meanwhile US AG Sessions is possibly another avenue to begin asking for support from in advocating possibly that the territory of defining dangerous and unusual for commercial sale purposes is the right of the federal government as defined by the NFA and GCA any states seeking to reclassify weapons otherwise in common use are usurping the supremacy clause. He could claim that there is little the states can legislate or regulate in the sphere of restricting arms (police powers against protected in common use property) the ability of the feds to reclaim the high ground and dictate to the states that they are infringing on the right and not narrowly tailoring things might be there. Up until now that has never happened the feds have just let the states do what they may..... but the last 10 years has been pretty astounding in the restrictive states maybe its time the US AG fire a few shots across teh bow in support of the citizens and defending their rights as well maybe its time the ATF be charged with enforcing the laws including investigating and challenging states that are abusing the FOPA's protections

IDK thats my pipe dream and ill sleep on it

Feb 28, 2013
    Funny. My AR-15 says it IS Constitutionally protected. Try and take them for a demonstration of the original intent of the 2A.

Nah, you got a family. Save that fer those of us with nuthin' to lose.

Anyone else havin' nightmares about the next Dumocrat to take the White House?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    You ever stop to wonder how many liberals don't vote? How would things look if all the liberals came out to vote? For the sake of discussion, let's say every single eligible voter in Maryland came out to vote. Would the state still be the freest state in the nation?

First, can we please dispense of the whole "liberals voting" on Constitutional Amendments offered visa vi the Article 5 process?

The state legislators are in control. We hold almost 3/4s of the legislatures (currently). They pick the delegates (or decide to withhold them), they must ratify the proposed amendments (or call for ratification conversions where they select the delegates).

We live in a republic; not a democracy. Use the damned tools of a REPUBLIC to circumvent the eroding features of democracy.

Note: This is not directed at you in strong tone. I'm speaking passionately in general (just want you Fab to know I'm not singling you out with strong, passionate language).

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    judicial travesty after judicial travesty and we do nothing. Maryland is only a lib state because too many non libs don't vote. If EVERY non lib in Maryland voted, we could be the freest state in the nation.

If we could rally EVERY gun owner in the state, we could be... .

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    In two years the Republicans will have at least 60 votes in the Senate which means the dums cannot filibuster. They can pass all kinds of Second Amendment protections. And by then Kennedy and Ginsberg might be replaced. Future looks bright gentlemen.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    In two years the Republicans will have at least 60 votes in the Senate which means the dums cannot filibuster. They can pass all kinds of Second Amendment protections. And by then Kennedy and Ginsberg might be replaced. Future looks bright gentlemen.

I fear this would inspire rebellion by leftists controlled states just as much as it would be celibrated in right and centrists areas. There is no escape from the law of unintended consequences or The Lathe of Heaven.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's the NRA's current official stance on the repeal:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...ler-no-protection-for-guns-it-deems-dangerous

"The NRA, on behalf of a free people, will continue to vindicate the rights of all law-abiding Americans to keep and bear the best firearms available to protect themselves and their loved ones. As we’ve been there every step of the way in the Kolbe fight, we will continue to press forward, including appealing the issue to the U.S. Supreme Court."
    If the NRA has ideas or the means to play offense, I would welcome this.

We're always fighting to roll back restrictions, and by playing defense, that means that we're always losing. The question is by how much each time. Obviously it's important to play defense to right wrongs and to reclaim liberties restricted.

However if there are ways to dictate the field of play, to compel the antis to pursue the court cases, we are looking for ground to gain instead of ground to lose. No doubt in MD, this is practically wishful thinking. But on the national scene, maybe it is time to create laws that facilitate firearm sales in all 50 states without cross border restrictions, and maybe it is time to direct the Justice Department to fight for the Second Amendment rights for citizens in states where they are unduly restricted (and state laws are attempting to supercede the Constitution). Make them play defense. Make it costly for them. And make the people of those states more aware that their states are robbing them of rights while doing nothing for public safety.

If the NRA can help in lobbying the Trump administration on these points, especially the latter, it would be great.

(Filling court positions with 2A supporting justices is also great, but their effect will be felt years from now.)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Feb 28, 2013

But do the pukes have the BALLS to pass them 2A protections?

With the likes of Sing Along with Mitch runnin' thangs I'm leanin' towards no.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I think the repubix will have the guts to safeguard the second because Trumps son is a marksman and politics being politics one hand washes the other. Trump and the repubes know they depend of our votes. They have to show deference of they hurt themselves.

Feb 28, 2013
    I think the repubix will have the guts to safeguard the second because Trumps son is a marksman and politics being politics one hand washes the other. Trump and the repubes know they depend of our votes. They have to show deference of they hurt themselves.

Safeguardin' the 2nd is one thang. That much is easy.

Sayin' "screw you" to the likes of Shumer and Frankenfeinstein on "military style assault weapons" is a lil' bit different animal. They got lotsa lobbyin' money in their pockets.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I fear this would inspire rebellion by leftists controlled states just as much as it would be celibrated in right and centrists areas. There is no escape from the law of unintended consequences or The Lathe of Heaven.

When we win...why do we not ever seize that opportunity to advance OUR agenda?

To hell with them! We can argue for states rights, federalism and the like. I get the Constitutional constraints arguments, but we are talking about the needed protection of a FUNDAMENTAL and NATURAL right. These rights are not not granted by government and they are supposed to be PROTECTED by our government. We do not need to ask permission. We don't need a "good and substantial" reason.

There is a reason why in CT, there are many folks who have simply ignored the law. We should be having a conversation with our MD Sheriffs now to ensure they will support our DUTY to disregard, unconstitutional laws that move to "confiscation" and that they will use THEIR power, and that of their deputies, to defend our rights.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    If the NRA has ideas or the means to play offense, I would welcome this.

We're always fighting to roll back restrictions, and by playing defense, that means that we're always losing. The question is by how much each time. Obviously it's important to play defense to right wrongs and to reclaim liberties restricted.

However if there are ways to dictate the field of play, to compel the antis to pursue the court cases, we are looking for ground to gain instead of ground to lose. No doubt in MD, this is practically wishful thinking. But on the national scene, maybe it is time to create laws that facilitate firearm sales in all 50 states without cross border restrictions, and maybe it is time to direct the Justice Department to fight for the Second Amendment rights for citizens in states where they are unduly restricted (and state laws are attempting to supercede the Constitution). Make them play defense. Make it costly for them. And make the people of those states more aware that their states are robbing them of rights while doing nothing for public safety.

If the NRA can help in lobbying the Trump administration on these points, especially the latter, it would be great.

(Filling court positions with 2A supporting justices is also great, but their effect will be felt years from now.)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

W/ a "Civil rights gun act" we might have a better chance at getting more cases before the DCA, yes?

Imagine Sessions & the Solicitor General talking with courts about 2A in the same fashion that Obama did to courts regarding states mirroring federal immigration law.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    But do the pukes have the BALLS to pass them 2A protections?

With the likes of Sing Along with Mitch runnin' thangs I'm leanin' towards no.

They don't have the balls to repeal the vastly destructive and unpopular Obamacare because they are scared by a little faux outrage.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    They don't have the balls to repeal the vastly destructive and unpopular Obamacare because they are scared by a little faux outrage.

That and they want a carrot to dangle in front of voters. I'm convinced Congress won't do a damn thing for gun owners, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom