• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    I am building another 10/22 (got a screamin' deal on a Collector's Series 2nd Edition)

My other 10/22's were kept pretty close to stock.

I want to make it into something that could be used for plinking and target shooting and small game hunting if needed. I know most stock 10/22 can make most of that happen with minimal work, but this one needs customizing while maintaining a rather stock appearance (i.e. no laminate thumbhole stocks or deluxe bull barrels etc). I want to keep it rather cheap, and of low key appearance.

Thus far I have bought or installed:

- Black Hogue over-molded stock made for Ruger, keeping the standard barrel

- Volquartzen buffer, and firing pin/extractor upgrades w/ SS trigger assembly retention pins.

- Sightmark Core SX Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm 22LR BDC Reticle

- Hornet Customs Trigger assembly, Black Max, all black with TS extended mag release, short throw safety, easy bolt release and a 2.5# pull billet trigger, in all black.(Used to be a part of a .22lr rifle team, I'm proficient with a light trigger)

All of these make for a pretty nice rifle, but I've never customized one to this extent before so I am asking MDS, Is there any other must-have upgrade? Have I made any bad choices with components?

Does anyone have any suggestions for further, non-flashy, functional upgrades that they would put in their own rifle??

All suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    Did I miss something? I don't see any responses. I thought there were, but I'm not seeing anything now!
    I haven't seen any since I posted it. Not the end of the world, though I figured I'd get at least a handful of ideas.

I was being sarcastic. Like someone leaving you hanging for a high five.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I haven't seen any since I posted it. Not the end of the world, though I figured I'd get at least a handful of ideas.

I was being sarcastic. Like someone leaving you hanging for a high five.

Haha. I get it now. An emoji would have been helpful. Like this - :rolleye12

;)

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    Sorry for the delay, the beach was calling.

So I'm still working on it but it's pretty much there. Still looking for a riser that does not obstruct the ghost ring sights. I'd like to either make it a quick detach so I can remove the optic easily, or a riser that allows me to use both iron and scope without moving. I've bought a few from UTG and a couple others, they all add about 2/7in of metal to the top of the rail which blocks the line of sight.

I used high grit sandpaper to plane down the mags a bit so they drop free easily. I also added JWH Custom charging handle/guide rod/recoil spring. Polished all riding areas of the bolt to a mirror finish. Overall I'm pretty thrilled with the results. I plan to take it out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Aaaand my Tapatalk app won't process the photos apparently. I'll figure it out.

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    654c6776e52b5de79d6d8c421259ab81.jpg

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    Was working inside today, humidity in the garage was thick. The cardboard and white rag are for contrast.

048449a3f3540ac13d4eed9fe34dbd58.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One problem is, there are SO many choices for a 10/22, and most work fine. It is all personal preference.

I am leaning to make one that is integrally suppressed and will cycle CCI Quiets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom