• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    So I recently shot my G19 for the first time. I put about 100 rounds through it. Almost all the shots were a few inches to the left of target (I’m right handed), but elevation was fine. This was at 8 yards.

I hadn’t shot in almost a year, but the other two guns I shot that day (Glock 17 and Sig p365) were on target. I’m usually a very accurate shooter. It was also the first time I shot the Sig too.

- the G19 had TruGlo TFX Pro sights put on by my gunsmith. He does good work and they don’t look uneven.
    - I wear large sized gloves, but have stubby fingers.
    - I tend to shoot with the front 1/3-1/2 of my trigger finger pad on the trigger.

I know that POI left of target, for a righty, usually means too little trigger finger. I’ve never shot a G19 before and don’t like the feel of the serrated funky trigger that came on it. I prefer the G17 trigger. I’m thinking that maybe my stubby trigger finger was sliding off the angled serrated trigger on the gun. I doubt a new Glock would be off a few inches at 8 yards.

I’m going to bench rest it next time.

Any ideas?

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Since you are consistent left, move the rear sight to the right till you are where you want it.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    normally too much trigger finger results in low and left. are you getting decent groups? i'd maybe try it a few more times just to be sure you're used to the setup. if good groups and you keep shooting left, i'd just bang the rear sight a little right. or switch out the trigger shoe and see if that helps.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My vote, move the rear sight. If all the shots are going to the same general place, gotta be the sight.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Trigger finger is not an issue if you have a strong grip. As a matter of fact, trigger finger is never an issue.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Our agency uses Glocks with aftermarket sights installed by Glock. The were laser zero’d at the factory and all of them are pushed further right than center. All of my personal glocks with aftermarket sights are favoring the right side when zero’d.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Our agency uses Glocks with aftermarket sights installed by Glock. The were laser zero’d at the factory and all of them are pushed further right than center. All of my personal glocks with aftermarket sights are favoring the right side when zero’d.
    Laser zeroed? What's that mean? And how do you know?

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Did anyone have initial teething issues with the G19 trigger? I’ve never shot a trigger like that. My 1911’s have serrated triggers, but they are flat, not slanted.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Did anyone have initial teething issues with the G19 trigger? I’ve never shot a trigger like that. My 1911’s have serrated triggers, but they are flat, not slanted.
    Shoot it like a two stage trigger. Most my ARs have two stage triggers so I've gotten used to taking up the slack, then a simple press to fire. If you dry-fire, try the trigger pull in two stages.

ETA: I have a few P80s. Pretty much all of them shoot straight with the rear sight centered. My G32, however, shot left. I had to bang the sight way right to hit where I was pointing. Blaster tried it(after I moved the rear sight) and it was dead on. :thumbsup:

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Shoot it like a two stage trigger. Most my ARs have two stage triggers so I've gotten used to taking up the slack, then a simple press to fire. If you dry-fire, try the trigger pull in two stages.

ETA: I have a few P80s. Pretty much all of them shoot straight with the rear sight centered. My G32, however, shot left. I had to bang the sight way right to hit where I was pointing. Blaster tried it(after I moved the rear sight) and it was dead on. :thumbsup:

I never have a problem hitting dead center with my G17 or G20, but they both have smooth triggers. That is why I thought of the serrated and angled trigger might be the culprit. I also read online (not the best source) about many people shooting the G19 low and left.

I have dry fired with the G19 a lot, but now I’m going to concentrate on putting more pad on the trigger. Then I’m going to test it on a bench. If it’s still off, I’ll have the sights moved.

Thanks, everyone.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Laser zeroed? What's that mean? And how do you know?

I am a part time firearms instructor so I got to spend more time than normal at the range. The term Laser Zeroed is what was told to me and I never gave the process any thought.

When I describe shooting well or off, I am talking about police that I know that have the ability to shoot, do it for recreation, take training seriously, and have to ability to put rounds on target. Not run of the mill, go to the range when I have to types. That said:

What I do know is that you can have Glock zero the sights or center the sights. Our first batch was zeroed and shot where they should be. The sights all favored toward the right side of the slide to varying degrees. After some complaints from people that didn't know any better, the next batch was ordered with the sights centered. The guns then shot noticeably left. The rest of the pistols were ordered with the sights zeroed. Those shot poa/poi again.

After realizing my sights were off center on my duty gun I decided to take a look at my guns that have aftermarket sights. When I put sights on a pistol, I go to the range with the ammo it will eat and shoot them from a rest at 25 yards. I use a sight pusher until it is shooting where it is aiming and call it good.

After checking my guns, my 34 that is used for 3gun and uspsa has warren sights that and the rear sight is favoring right. My 19, 43, and the wife's 43 have Trijicon and they are favoring the right side of the slide. My 27 and 21 have Heinie sights are both favoring the right side of the slide.

My local gun shop still doesn't have a 43x in stock but when they do, I'll let you know where the sights sit.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md

If you are talking about the trigger pull, a Glock trigger takes a little to get used to it. Dry fire the hell out of it and it'll be fine. If you are talking about the serrated triggers, of my double stack guns have the full size smooth trigger in them. My girly fingers don't like the Glock serrated triggers.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    If you are talking about the trigger pull, a Glock trigger takes a little to get used to it. Dry fire the hell out of it and it'll be fine. If you are talking about the serrated triggers, of my double stack guns have the full size smooth trigger in them. My girly fingers don't like the Glock serrated triggers.

Lol! I can deal with feel of the trigger, but I think I may not be pulling the trigger back as straight as I usually do. This may be due to the shape of the trigger. I need to use more pad I think. Perhaps my finger is sliding down the serrations on the right side of the trigger. Like I said, I am an accurate handgun shooter, but I shoot mostly CZs, 1911s, and my XD45. I may need to get used to the trigger on the G19.

I find it funny that I shot the p365 more accurately than the G19. It was the first time I had shot either pistol. My Glock 17 and G20 shoot fine for me too. Even with hot Underwood 10mm loads, I’m more accurate with the G20 than my G19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom