• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Saw this on WBOC

The "uncertainty" factor will play havoc on the much required labor and housing planning.

I can see some things happening over there
    1) Older retired folks of Ocean Pines whining and complaining that all the tourists needs to stay out
    2) Younger people who don't want to travel out of the country will choose to vacation closer to home
    3) They will may have a staffing problems with the lack of "Imported" labor (if you have vacationed in OC, you know what I'm talking about.
    3a) maybe the lack of restaurant openings may mitigate 3)
    3b) People from other parts of the state may fill in to deal with 3)
    4) June/July fishing tournaments will either be cancelled or postponed making August/Sept fishing tournaments well attended
    5) Mask wearing on the boardwalk will end up being manditory longer than the rest of the state. (imposed by OC Mayor)
    6) People who had June reservations will be fumed that they dont' get deposit refunds if THEY choose to cancel and the city is opened. (short term rentals are currently not allowed thru May 22 by order of OC Mayor).

http://www.wboc.com/story/42064217/...l0rxfN6xzMe7V6JFAU9YYRRu81qMxrxZiTEhI3zfZz1Nw

OCEAN CITY, Md.- Following Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan's release on Friday of his "Roadmap to Recovery," which marks how the state will reopen after the COVID-19 pandemic, the town of Ocean City is using the governor's roadmap as its guide for the summer season.

In a four-page memo to the Ocean City mayor and council dated April 27 ahead of the their Tuesday work session, City Manager Doug Miller said that based on what is known and "admittedly based on what we hope for there will be a season in 2020 even if different from what we have known in the past. We do intend to offer our normal summer services even if some are altered."

The memo described Hogan's "Roadmap to Recovery" as being helpful in defining the state’s criteria to bring back private and public services and businesses.
    As such the memo took the governor's document and applied its stages for reopening to the resort town as follows:

• Pre-stage: This is the current stage as of this date. The governor has a stay at home order and has restricted all non-essential travel. Non-resident property owners and visitors cannot legally travel to Ocean City.
    • Stage 1; Low Risk: The governor’s travel restriction is lifted. Small shops and businesses can reopen, recreational boating, fishing golf and tennis can resume, outdoor fitness can
    resume. It is our hope that we will be at Stage 1 in late May or early June.
    • Stage 2; Medium Risk: Some social gatherings will be allowed, indoor gyms and fitness classes can begin, churches can again have services, restaurants and bars can open with restrictions. It is our hope that we will be at Stage 2 by late June or early July.
    • Stage 3; High Risk: To get to this stage there must be a COVID 19 vaccine or treatment. That is a long way off so we don’t see us at Stage 3 this Season. Until we get to Stage 3 large social gatherings will not be allowed, high capacity bars and restaurants will not be allowed to open, entertainment venues will not be allowed to operate. For the summer of 2020 some of the private and public planned events will have to be altered or
    canceled.

The memo also outlined certain "Assumptions": (continued)

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This is really going to piss off some people ok ok a LOT of people and starting with the people who live on the North End of OC where the trailer parks are like Montego Bay up around 130th which is a really nice area and my wife and I have taken a look up that way as well but main problem is its in MD and not DE.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think around the holiday it will be opening up to some extent. Too many piers/slips, mortgages and buildings down there not getting paid for.
    Maybe the people ocean front will finally be able to isolate the section of the beach off in front of them for themselves or be able to use snitch lines to rat people out for other than parking problems.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What has me thinking is that Hogan had the thing where he/they required state K-12 to open up AFTER Memorial day which helped out OC get another week of useful rentals. Honestly, the way that rentals started to die off the last week of August was pathetic cause the fishing and the beach water temps are still very good then. It was actually a waste of good weather vs late June when schools get out and water temps are not as warm. I was out fishing (not catching) yesterday and not many boats out although that is not prime time for pleasureboaters who were not allowed out. I will not say if I saw any "pleasure" happening out on the water. Going by Lazy Lizard and seeing it vacant was daunting. Even for May cause it was warm enough for people to be outside.

i can see people staking and taping out "their section" of the beach.

If they outlaw the "scopes" teens running around with their sales pitches, that will be the only bonus.
    I'm sure OC will be all debating "well, how do we protect the lifeguards"? Things will get out of hand for sure with the "how do we protect" policies and whining and complaining.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I surmise that because the local population is so much lower than the rest of the state, the possibility of a large unsuspected outbreak could have a higher probability. In other words, the virus has not hit its peak on the peninsula so opening OC could be the poster boy for opening too soon. Poultry depopulation just started. A transient population influx could exacerbate the problem.
    Just a WAG on my part hope I'm wrong.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Already have the fourth largest outbreak in MD. Thanks to the chicken pluckers an the New Yorkers hiding in OC. Last week OC had four suicides. Lockdown is getting to people just a bit.

If you come to OC bring TP. Stores are empty an help is short. Food Lion is paying $15 for stockers an can't find enough people willing to work. A few more places are opening for Mothers Day, carry out.

Fish are biting :)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Already have the fourth largest outbreak in MD. Thanks to the chicken pluckers an the New Yorkers hiding in OC. Last week OC had four suicides. Lockdown is getting to people just a bit.

If you come to OC bring TP. Stores are empty an help is short. Food Lion is paying $15 for stockers an can't find enough people willing to work. A few more places are opening for Mothers Day, carry out.

Fish are biting :)

Salisbury and OC are not the same

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Seems as if some Governors are increasingly starting to carry on about Federal monies to close gaps in the CV spending. L Hogan is an outspoken critic of McConnell for not wanting to bail out state governments.
    Lots of things that need paid for in OC. While he was tied up solving problems for the rest of the state and numbers were low on the shore I believe they will accept the risk and depend on news cycles that report encouraging numbers for the rest of the country. I think think he will roll the dice and open up thinking an outbreak will be easily concealed due to transient population and the time it takes to develop show symptoms.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    A decent amount of pleasure boaters out yesterday on the bay. I guess they either didn't know or didn't care. No sign of DNR.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Screw OC!!! I am waiting for Rehoboth/Lewes to open up again. How in the heck is the Lewes Cape May ferry running right now???

I heard today they built a wall to keep people off the boardwalk in Rehoboth.
    I haven't seen it yet and probably wont but sounds like they mean business. I wonder what would happen if it gets defaced with graffiti like the Berlin wall or if it resembles the great wall of China.
    Pink Floyd the wall is what they'll probably call it.:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom