• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Probably true but I pay in July so I would lose say maybe a 4% return over 7 months on that outlay. The gamble for the increased deduction could be much more.

I can still do it tomorrow anyway.

edit: I have a lot of friends in the federal govt. hamster wheel. They are far from dumb but not exactly motivated workers either.

I guess a 4% return over 6 months is one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that you will have cash on hand to take advantage of significant opportunities that might pop up. For instance, JoeBob had the Hiperfire trigger I want on sale today at $75 off, which was close to a 30% savings. Just got a 30% return on my money by having the $200 available to buy the trigger.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Nothing screams come audit me like prepaying property taxes this year.

Yeah, I would think the IRS computers would be able to recognize the huge increase on that line and at the minimum the IRS would send a letter for a correspondence audit. Guessing the IRS might put an employee on each state to make calls to each county within the state to figure out when the county sent out its 2018 real property tax bills; however, who knows if the IRS is actually interested in enforcing the tax laws nowadays.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Because she told me they don't do prepayment of property taxes. Clearly they do and have for 5 years. Regardless if I can take the deduction or not, she steered me in the wrong direction. I'm sure I wasn't the first person to call about this since its been a hot topic since the bill was signed.

I'd throw in govt. employee jokes but DA might get his panties in a bunch again.

The employee knew why you wanted to do it and they did what they were probably supposed to do in that situation.

It follows a nationwide trend, but the IRS issued guidance late Wednesday indicating that prepayment may not pay off in Maryland.

In general, taxpayers can prepay their 2018 bills if the real property taxes are assessed before 2018, according to the IRS guidance to tax professionals.

While new triennial property tax assessments for a third of the properties in Maryland are expected to be released this week, local governments issue tax bills in July.

The IRS guidance said property taxes are considered assessed when the taxpayer becomes liable for payment, and a prepayment for anticipated property taxes not assessed prior to 2018 will not be deductible in 2017.

The Maryland Association of Counties recommended that taxpayers consult a tax attorney or accountant to find out whether their specific prepayments are actually deductible in 2017.

At the Frederick County Treasurer’s Office, the receipt that homeowners are given when they make a prepayment of real estate taxes warns: “Acceptance of prepayments for real estate taxes does not imply they are deductible for federal income tax purposes. Please contact a tax advisor for advice on the deductibility of prepayments.”

You didn't get what you wanted, so now you are crying over it. Come on, guy. Let it go.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    The employee knew why you wanted to do it and they did what they were probably supposed to do in that situation.

You didn't get what you wanted, so now you are crying over it. Come on, guy. Let it go.
    Negative. I had Friday, as I stated in my post, to prepay and chose not to. So I don't know what you are referring.

The employee was an idiot.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Just got my Fredneck county real estate tax bill. Up again as usual. Interesting I’m paying 10% of county taxes for state tax. A flat $88 for “system benefit chg” for county supported waste management and recycling (even though I’m paying a trash company directly to haul my garbage weekly). A “storm Water fee” of $.01. And the never ending “Bay Restoration fee” of $60. I live in the country with well and septic. Seems like I’m paying for the county incinerator cost or dump charges even though I’m also paying my trash hauler. Thank you Fredneck!

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Just got my Fredneck county real estate tax bill. Up again as usual. Interesting I’m paying 10% of county taxes for state tax. A flat $88 for “system benefit chg” for county supported waste management and recycling (even though I’m paying a trash company directly to haul my garbage weekly). A “storm Water fee” of $.01. And the never ending “Bay Restoration fee” of $60. I live in the country with well and septic. Seems like I’m paying for the county incinerator cost or dump charges even though I’m also paying my trash hauler. Thank you Fredneck!

yeah the MoCo greed mentality is seeping into Frederick county. hitting me also.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

I just got mine too lol...i never think my taxes will ever go down!

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Honestly I don’t think I could afford to move back to the city. City rate is the same as the county rate IIRC, which means that it costs you 2x to live in town. For me to own a similar size home in Frederick would mean that I’d be paying the county/city roughly $650-700/mo. That’s just stupid money. Not Baltimore stupid ($2.248/100) but pretty damn high.

ETA: combined rate is 1.68/100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Property taxes fluctuate, based on the assessed value of the property. I remember when mine were like 3300, but this year I do believe that they are somewhere around 4500.

Spoken like a government employee. Assess the property at 100% of perceived value vs. 80% like they did before Jan got elected and everyone pays a lot more.

Now every 3 years you have to go to the office of worthless govt. employees and explain to them how real estate sales and comparable values work. Little more than basic math and their heads explode.

Yes they fluctuate and only upward regardless of reality. Someone has to pay for Jan's promises.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Spoken like a government employee. Assess the property at 100% of perceived value vs. 80% like they did before Jan got elected and everyone pays a lot more.

Now every 3 years you have to go to the office of worthless govt. employees and explain to them how real estate sales and comparable values work. Little more than basic math and their heads explode.

Yes they fluctuate and only upward regardless of reality. Someone has to pay for Jan's promises.
    Take your personal attacks somewhere else. You have no idea who my employer is, nor is it any of your business who my employer is. Also I have never started who my employer actually is. I don't make assumptions about your employer or make statements about how you are leaching from the system in some way, because of your employer. Disrespect can cut both ways, do you really want to get into something that you can't win on a forum?

Just because you have butthurt over how things are for property taxes, or anything else for that matter, doesn't mean you are right for lashing out at somebody on here as you have repeatedly shown, due to them voicing a dissenting thought/opinion or even fact.

Property taxes fluctuate based on the market conditions. Deal with it and quit whining like a kid that had their ball taken away by their parents, for playing soccer in the house. Strap on the helmet, life is a bumpy ride. Learn to accept it and chill out or keep whining and people will start to ignore what you say.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Property taxes fluctuate, based on the assessed value of the property. I remember when mine were like 3300, but this year I do believe that they are somewhere around 4500.

Mine are $4472 unless they go up (again) anytime soon.

Not cool and not sure where this is coming from. DA has lived in Frederick County longer than you and I combined and knows how it works around here. Don't shoot the messenger! :D

The fact is, Frederick has grown by leaps and bounds since I moved here in 2011 (when I was paying only $3330 per year) and it's not unreasonable to expect taxes to increase in the wake of such growth during the past 7 years. More people = more burden on local government. It sucks but, I understand the reasons. My property value has increased by nearly 4.5% since 2012 for what that's worth.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Take your personal attacks somewhere else. You have no idea who my employer is, nor is it any of your business who my employer is. Also I have never started who my employer actually is. I don't make assumptions about your employer or make statements about how you are leaching from the system in some way, because of your employer. Disrespect can cut both ways, do you really want to get into something that you can't win on a forum?

Just because you have butthurt over how things are for property taxes, or anything else for that matter, doesn't mean you are right for lashing out at somebody on here as you have repeatedly shown, due to them voicing a dissenting thought/opinion or even fact.

Property taxes fluctuate based on the market conditions. Deal with it and quit whining like a kid that had their ball taken away by their parents, for playing soccer in the house. Strap on the helmet, life is a bumpy ride. Learn to accept it and chill out or keep whining and people will start to ignore what you say.

If you are going to excoriate me about the usefulness of frederick govt employees and continue to push needle toward Jan Gardner on here then people need to know the facts. I shall call you out on those facts.

The constant yield rate vs. actual rate is what keeps our taxes from ever going down while she espouses the rate hasn't changed. The assessments also changed from 80% of perceived value to 100% continuing to push the taxes ever higher. She not only has changed the rate but changed the rules on how the rates are assessed. This is how she got around the limitation on the homestead credit. Typical liberal piece of garbage. Lie to your face and smile about it because they know the uneducated don't know the difference.

Property taxes fluctuate based on market conditions my ass. Educate yourself on the facts.

Frederick County property taxes have increased 16.67% since 2011. To pay for what? Transgender education at the middle school level? 4 extra "teacher work days." Sanctuary policies? There isn't anyone more worthless and overpaid than a MD govt employee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom