• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I believe this is the same Chuck Farmer who runs the 4H for Frederick TCSC. What a fantastic individual.

From the FNP:

Where is the sense of urgency for a problem in our county now that the weather has changed from frigid temperatures with howling winds to heavy rain with even some flooding and soon unbearable heat for those who would be stuck out in the elements. Except, of course, for a pet or animal if left outside at any time might be of concern enough to make the headlines, but the attention to help a person in need seems to have taken a back seat.

We teach our children not to talk to strangers, but how do you know when someone really needs help? We can find many reasons or excuses not to help someone and everyone seems to respond differently if approached or confronted by someone who appears “homeless.” Since growing up in Frederick, I have noticed more homeless strangers and panhandling than ever before. If approached I am not one to hand out cash, because for one I am not independently wealthy, and I do not want to contribute to someone’s bad habits — cigarettes, alcohol or worse. However, if someone is noticeably hungry, I have paid for a meal if able or have helped the person to get food.

One evening last September, my children and I decided to check the well-being of an elderly woman we noticed sitting on a bench on Seventh Street who went by the name of Joycie. She appeared to be someone’s grandmother and said she was fine but was willing to accept a cup of coffee “if not too much” once we offered. She seemed sincerely grateful and replied “Thank you! Thank you for caring.”

We continued to check in on her if we saw her in the area over the next several weeks and learned more about her only by gaining her trust through many cups of coffee and food from McDonald’s. Each time she was sincerely thankful and never asked for money. We soon realized that her only shelter was under the nearby bushes and an umbrella. We contacted the Allan P. Linton Shelter, the Religious Coalition (which were full especially in bad weather) and our church, and provided her with information on assistance. She refused to go to a shelter and said she had no living family for us to contact.

While talking to her near Christmas, she volunteered to us that she had trekked across the country from the Pacific Northwest to look for her son’s grave at Arlington. She said he was in the Army, which matched some previous discussions with her. I was skeptical, but what if it is true? She said that she had been robbed of her IDs and what few valuables she had, even her dentures. I contacted law enforcement to determine what could be done and to rule out if she could be wanted or missing, etc., and was able to confirm her identity. Getting a duplicate of her previous ID or a replacement in Maryland has proved next to impossible.

With the shelters full in windy, 15-degree weather on New Year’s Eve, we took up a collection and moved Joycie into a motel on a week-by-week basis. Since then we have received some donations and assistance from local organizations to assist with her temporary housing and daily needs, but it has not been enough.

While trying to help this woman for the past 10 months with the assistance of a handful of volunteers and the many organizations in our area, we have realized many problems in the system that are prohibitive to improvement. We have many good organizations in the county that deal with these issues year-round and do a good service. I have read that there have been “counts” or surveys of homeless people in the area, but all seemed to be grouped into a category of the “homeless population.”

There seems to be no real incentive, however, to fix each situation. We also learned that in other jurisdictions if someone goes to a shelter two or three times they are eligible for a free bus ticket to Frederick rather than where they eventually need to go and is a cheaper short-term solution to pass the person along. We also learned that years ago each church in the county every year used to work with the local shelter to “adopt” or help mentor one person that is in need, but we have gotten away from that.

Joycie has a job opportunity waiting, an option for an apartment with the first month’s rent and the security deposit pledged provided she has some documentation from her proposed employer. The employer can’t hire her without a valid, current ID; she can’t get her ID without a Social Security card (she knows her number) and is having trouble getting a Social Security card copy without an ID. Realizing she may be eligible for some benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs, we were able to verify some of her information and researched as far as we can without a current ID for her.

Many are passed from place to place in the government bureaucracy or processed in a way that demonstrates a need in order to get more funding. This can create a vicious cycle, because the more funding received, the more need that can be shown. Finding the people who really need help among the many who take advantage of the system is also a challenge.

Many good people have contributed until now, but much more is needed from the community. We are being assisted by the Lions Club to provide Joycie with prescription eyeglasses, the Health Department to obtain health Insurance, and the local food bank. We are pursuing the ID issues.

Our goal is that eventually she will be in a position to help herself. Other organizations that have helped are the People Helping People of Middletown Valley, the Religious Coalition, the Seton Center and the local food bank.

Financial assistance is needed for Joycie’s temporary housing and immediate daily needs, while we work through the ID process with her. Donations or checks for “Joycie” can be made with her name noted in the memo and sent or delivered to the Religious Coalition for Emergency Human Needs, 27 DeGrange St., Frederick, MD 21701.

Joycie is one of many. Whether a donation is made to help her or not, I encourage everyone to get involved and volunteer some time in the local shelter, soup kitchen, food bank or make donations to some of the many organizations in our area. Everyone can do something.

Chuck Farmer

Frederick

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think the main difficulties in dealing with people like "Joycie" are, there do not exist continual mechanisms in to move a person on a direct path to reasonable solutions. Instead, there is only a patchwork of small institutions that operate independently of one another. Some governmental, others privately funded.

"Joycie" is one of many who have fallen in an ever widening crack. It always seems the ones who need help the most are the ones getting it the least.

Hopefully, with an ever improving economy, this trend can maybe be slowed. I don't see it turning around without a huge effort from the government.

Sad story. There are millions of them out there unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom