• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I would shorten the screws, seems to me to be the easiest method

If you mean "shorten the screws" by filing the tips after they have been installed for the last time, that's likely what I'll do. The screws are soft brass and that would be simple. They are tiny - maybe 3/16" long. Shortening them before installation ain't in the plan...

:)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    A Little More "Detail" Progress

Now that I'm down to final sanding so the stock can get its finish and the barrel get blued I did some detail work that needed attention:
    • I scoured the internet to gain perspective on how the forestock was mated to the nose cap on factory and home builds. Lots of different methods. After looking at a bunch of pics I went with simply rounding the edge toward the cap. It looks fine and works for me.
    • To better fit the lock and trigger guard to the contour of the stock, square everything and true the hammer to nipple position I made some thin wood shims and installed them in the part's recesses. Once the fit was to my liking I white glued the shims in place.There's still a little more sanding to do in the lock area, but the metal will now blend better with the finished stock.
    Minor detail work like this - especially the shims - isn't seen. But it will make the finished rifle look and work better.

After checking everything one more time ---> on to final stock sanding, staining and prepping the barrel for bluing...

Stay tuned.

:)

Attachments

• DSC09944 SNIP Nose Cap R.jpg
      DSC09944 SNIP Nose Cap R.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 171
    • DSC09946 SNIP Nose Cap L.jpg
      DSC09946 SNIP Nose Cap L.jpg
      30.3 KB · Views: 171
    • DSC09949 SNIP Nose Cap Muzzle.jpg
      DSC09949 SNIP Nose Cap Muzzle.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 165
    • DSC09953 SNIP Lock and Trigger Guard.jpg
      DSC09953 SNIP Lock and Trigger Guard.jpg
      35.3 KB · Views: 170
    • DSC09954 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09954 SNIP.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 165

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Wow! What a nice job can't wait to see the finished product. Best thing about it is that it's all yours! Nice family heirloom!

Last edited:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Wow! What a nice job can't wait to see the finished product. Best thing about it is that it's all yours! Nice family air loom!

Thank you, sir. I don't know about heirloom, but it will be a solid and fun shooter. :o

For everyone: Below are some pics of the thin shims I made and installed today. I shaped them out of craft wood sanded to the proper width (maybe .003"). Very thin and custom made to fit.

The shims level the trigger guard channel perfectly. :thumbsup:

In the lock recess you can see there is only a small shoulder where the lock seats on the butt side. The shims needed to be sanded very thin and shaped to fit. The front shim broke as I was drilling the screw hole, but no biggie. I could add some resin to fill in the area there and bed the lock plate. I may do that tomorrow. But no real need. The shims work, they're solid and will never be seen...

Details, details. But they matter. It's all about fit, function and finish...

;)

Attachments

• DSC09956 SNIP - Trigger Guard Shims Installed.jpg
      DSC09956 SNIP - Trigger Guard Shims Installed.jpg
      28.4 KB · Views: 154
    • DSC09955 SNIP - Lock Shims Installed.jpg
      DSC09955 SNIP - Lock Shims Installed.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 160

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Staining Time Arrived!

After all the part installations, in-letting, carving, filing, sanding, fitting and final detail work I was getting pretty tired of working on a bare stock. So I disassembled everything, The stock got a final go-over with 220 grit. Then I wiped it down with denatured alcohol and a tack cloth and opened the can of stain.

With a brush in hand it was ---> Party Time! :party29:

I wanted a lighter color on this stock. I stopped by Lowe's to look at stain and spotted one called "Gunstock". I figured that was a sign so I grabbed a can... ;)

Here's the stock before and after. I'll let it dry overnight. It will get a second coat and then a BLO scrub for its final finish. And now that everything is apart I can move on to dealing with bluing the barrel.

I kinda like the color. What do y'all think?

:D

Attachments

• DSC09963 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09963 SNIP.jpg
      70.9 KB · Views: 192
    • DSC09967 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09967 SNIP.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 206
    • DSC09969 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09969 SNIP.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 209
    Last edited:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Another Small Step Closer To Completion

With a coat of stain on the stock it was time to tackle the step that gave me the most angst: Drill the Tenon Pin Holes... :eek: The concept of "measure twice - cut once" goes into overdrive here. It's more like "measure twenty times - pray - then drill once". There ain't much room for error. :nono:

Drilling the tenon pin holes is a blind process. The target area on the tenon is small - only about 3/16" X 5/16". Hitting the center in one complete pass is the goal. And no matter how many times you measure, when you start your drill plunge, the "pucker factor" increases exponentially... ;)

Below are pics of the setup on my drill press and the outcome. I couldn't have been more on target. Geez - I wish I could shoot that good! :party29: As a reminder you all probably know: "always drill through wood into a scrap piece behind it". After all this work I sure didn't want to deal with a splintered exit hole... ;)

With that step done, another coat of stain went on the stock and ram rod.

I'm getting real itchy to shoot this rifle. Maybe - just maybe - I can get to bluing the barrel over the weekend. :fingerscrossed:

P.S. I intentionally left the butt plate on the stock to protect its edges while handling. The brass will get polished as part of the final assembly...

Attachments

• DSC09972 Snip Teneon hole drill set up.jpg
      DSC09972 Snip Teneon hole drill set up.jpg
      44.3 KB · Views: 173
    • DSC09973 SNIP Tenon hole drilled on press.jpg
      DSC09973 SNIP Tenon hole drilled on press.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 168
    • DSC09976 SNIP Back Tenon hole.jpg
      DSC09976 SNIP Back Tenon hole.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 169
    • DSC09977.JPG Snip Front Tenon hole with pin.jpg
      DSC09977.JPG Snip Front Tenon hole with pin.jpg
      38.2 KB · Views: 171
    • DSC09979 SNIP Stock Soaking.jpg
      DSC09979 SNIP Stock Soaking.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 167
    • DSC09980 SNIP Stock Drying.JPG
      DSC09980 SNIP Stock Drying.JPG
      42.2 KB · Views: 166
    Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Another good way to drill tenons is to clamp a straight edge to your drill table, adjust the guide and barrel so the bit is centered over the tenon. Lay the barrel on it's side with the top flat up to the straight edge and drill through the tenons. With the location of the tenons measured from the breech end of the barrel, measure the same back along the stock and make a line with a try square adjacent to the tenons from the top edge of the barrel channel. Place the barrel into the stock, clamp to the guide and drill through.

You can drill holes through the stock and tenons at the same time in one fell swoop pretty accurately. A hand drill can be used as well for fear of splitting the stock or crumbling out the exit hole. The pins will come out in a straight line if done on drill press though. A trick to all of this is making sure the tenons do not bottom out in the bottom of the stock mortise before clamping or it can go bad in a hurry!

I built one of those a while back and it's stupid accurate with 65g of ff and a pillow ticked round ball from standing. I just drilled a tiny hole in the bolster at about two o'clock in front of the clean out screw that acts like a vent to improve ignition with caps. It will make it shoot real small by helping to relieve compressed air in the bolster when it lights.

That ones coming along nicely, they are sure fun to shoot and enjoy.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Fully Assembled and Functional...

today I took some 400 grit emery cloth to the barrel to polish any light scratches. Then I degreased it, wiped it down with acetone and put three apps of BC Super Blue on it. It ain't gonna get any darker. But the finish is even and it looks good. :thumbsup:

Then a little minor fitting on the screws that hold the ram rod thimbles to open the channel. Sights were simple to install. I'll adjust them at the range and stake them.

Still more to do over time to scrub in a BLO finish, but you can't do that in one day. As the rifle sits it's fully assembled and functional. Time to range test it!

I can't say I'm sorry the project is winding down, but it has been fun. And, as with each project, I learned some new stuff.

Attachments

• DSC09981 SNIP Barrell White.jpg
      DSC09981 SNIP Barrell White.jpg
      44.2 KB · Views: 153
    • DSC09984 SNIP Barrel Blued.jpg
      DSC09984 SNIP Barrel Blued.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 164
    • IMG_0095 SNIP Lock Area.jpg
      IMG_0095 SNIP Lock Area.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 164
    • IMG_0096 SNIP Forestock Area.jpg
      IMG_0096 SNIP Forestock Area.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 159
    • IMG_0097 SNIP Muzzle Area.jpg
      IMG_0097 SNIP Muzzle Area.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 146
    • DSC09987 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09987 SNIP.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 146

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Beautiful Joe. Simply beautiful!

Coming from you that means a lot, my friend. Much appreciated. ;)

We know you'll get to a Hooligan shoot in the not too distant future. And I'll make sure the smoke pole is there so you can see it in person and make it go bang.

:thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Coming from you that means a lot, my friend. Much appreciated. ;)

We know you'll get to a Hooligan shoot in the not too distant future. And I'll make sure the smoke pole is there so you can see it in person and make it go bang.

:thumbsup:

Looking forward to that day my friend. Planning a day with Laddertowr and the next day with the Hooligans, hopefully in June. Look for us. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom