• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I'm relatively new to hunting. A couple years back I bought the mossberg 500 field/deer combo as an entry level dual purpose gun. I used it on a few upland bird hunts with relative success before investing in a nicer over under. I decided to make it a dedicated slug gun for firearm season. I've tried several times to get this thing dialed in and probably gone through close to 10 boxes of sabot slugs in the process. I had it pretty close at one point, then next trip to the range, it wasn't even on the paper. I'm using the cheapo "dead ringer " scope that came with it. Should I swap out the scope and give it another chance or just cut my losses, invest in a nice bolt action slug gun, and turn the mossy into another HD shotgun?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    You can buy a barrel for each purpose...cheaper than another shotgun...especially at today's inflated prices. I'd try a better scope as well. Some sabot slugs are also less than stellar in performance. I wouldn't condemn the shotgun...it would be pretty uncommon for a bad one.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks guys. That was my inclination, to just try a better scope. I'm shooting hornady slugs, so i doubt it's the ammo.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Probably the smooth bore barrel that came with the past 500 combos would be a better option for slinging some slugs around at close range. A lot cheaper too.
    With a good consistent hold you can do pretty well with one even with the open sights.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Probably the smooth bore barrel that came with the past 500 combos would be a better option for slinging some slugs around at close range. A lot cheaper too.
    With a good consistent hold you can do pretty well with one even with the open sights.

^^^This
    Murdered mucho deer with my old 500c with a smooth bore slug barrel and fixed 4x Tasco scope.

Wish I never sold that gun...

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Any scope recommendations? I'm not looking to put anything too expensive on a $300 gun. Also what distance do you guys dial your slug guns to? 50 yards? 100? I was going for 100 under the assumption that as a novice hunter on public land, I'd be taking further shots from the edge of a field.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Nikon has discontinued their scope lines and distributors have dropped prices on Nikon products pretty much across the board...you should be able to find a nice Nikon shotgun scope at very good prices. You can look on eBay as they have a 20% off e-coupons through the 4th...see if you can find a good scope from one of their sellers. The coupon code is PLUS20...it doesn't apply across the board on eBay but on many products.

Also...here's a Nikon refurb on special at Natchez Shooters Supply https://www.natchezss.com/refurbished-nikon-prostaff-p3-shotgun-scope-3-9x40mm-bdc-200-reticle-black-matte.html

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    The 500 was my go to gun for years. I like having a field gun that I don't worry about getting scratched and dinged.

What kind of scope mount do you have? Is this the cantilevered barrel or the cheapo mounts to the side of the receiver?

What kind of group size are you expecting?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Is your slug barrel smoothbore or rifled?

My smoothbore Mossy slug barrel with standard Slugger rifled slugs will hold minute of pie plate at 100 yards. It won't hit a bull in the @$$ with a snow shovel with sabots.

BTW - Redfield 3 x 9 scope with side mount on receiver.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Sabot slugs thru a smooth bore are a waste of money, and accuracy suffers. As Mack said a standard rifled slug thru a smooth bore is the way to go.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Most starter scopes are good for weighing down paper, or smashing ants on concrete.

I've never had issues with Vortex optics, but I'd recommend research first; not sure how they hold up to that kind of recoil. Otherwise I like Leupold.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I'm relatively new to hunting. A couple years back I bought the mossberg 500 field/deer combo as an entry level dual purpose gun. I used it on a few upland bird hunts with relative success before investing in a nicer over under. I decided to make it a dedicated slug gun for firearm season. I've tried several times to get this thing dialed in and probably gone through close to 10 boxes of sabot slugs in the process. I had it pretty close at one point, then next trip to the range, it wasn't even on the paper. I'm using the cheapo "dead ringer " scope that came with it. Should I swap out the scope and give it another chance or just cut my losses, invest in a nice bolt action slug gun, and turn the mossy into another HD shotgun?

What range are you dialing in at and how off are you + are you using a lead sled type rest or shouldering it sitting down? You shouldnt expect it to be a tack driver at 200 yards. Is it minute of deer?

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    I have both smooth bore and rifled but with iron sights. Both are accurate out to 75 yards with varying ammo. Sounds like the scope has issues.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    My Mossberg 500 combo rifled barrel will hold 3" 3shot groups at 100 yds all day with Remington accutips or copper solid. Hornady will hold 8" groups. Expensive Federals will not hold 36". I have not tried Lightfields, but hear that they can be good.

I have had a scope that went bad and needed to be replaced. I have seen rings that wouldn't stay tight and caused problems like the OP said. Good luck and I don't think it's the gun.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    My Winchester 1300 rifled barrel did not like Sabots of any flavor. I does like 3"Rem rifled slugs for some reason. 1.5 MOA at 100 yards.

The SBII loves the Accutips and Copper solid sabots and is more accurate than the 1300.

I agree that you need to look at your scope/ring. I like to use a fixed 4x on a 12g since they are indestructible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom