• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    My friend has shot two of them off his porch near Big Pool MD. He used a .22-250.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Joe Rogan on coyotes. Explicit lyrics.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSgI9XToqI0

I just finished Dan Flores' book, Coyote America, last month and found it extremely well written and entertaining. I don't endorse all of his conclusions, but whole heartedly agree that coyotes are one of the most intriguing critters on the North American continent. If you enjoy reading about natural histories this book should be added to your list.

T48

Mar 5, 2018
    Anne Arundel Co.
    About two years ago late in the day I saw a coyote in the parking lot of the company I worked at in Middle River. It trotted away would stop and look back to see what I was doing.

Worgenski

Mar 2, 2013
    The more you kill them, the more they expand their range. When a male is killed and the female is pregnant, they have more pups.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    This is the 5th one I've put down with this savage 22-250. The 4th one was a headshot at 350yds on the move. This caliber is sweet. The only other one I've used that comes close is the 220swift. Nott taken in MD, and that yote was taken while he was eagerly watching newborn calves.

Attachments

• IMG_5006.jpg
      IMG_5006.jpg
      218.8 KB · Views: 325
    • IMG_8117.jpg
      IMG_8117.jpg
      109.8 KB · Views: 372

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Sorry if I take this too far afield, but does anyone have a minimum caliber recommendations for shooting coyotes? Will a .22 or .17 rimfire work or is it too light?

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    Shot placement is the only thing that matters. Cci velocitors work great. Think they are just 40 grain mini mags now.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If that yote has been taken when prime, it would be a top lot animal with that pale of color, 150.00 pelt easily. That is if it is from MT/ID ect area.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    If that yote has been taken when prime, it would be a top lot animal with that pale of color, 150.00 pelt easily. That is if it is from MT/ID ect area.

MT indeed. Have yet to sell any pelts. Gave a few to a good buddy though. I usually get to hunt them during calving season. On average they have 1-3 dead calves in an area that the yotes will come into in the mornings. I wake up early after my check and head out to the fields and watch the sun come up on a few coyotes.

The old men tell stories of chasing them down on snowmobiles and getting them with a 410 snakecharmer or sbs. The ranch owner once found a pup without its eyes open and took it back home and raised it as a dog. All was well until it got into the chickens one too many times and his old man wasn't having it.

Attachments

• IMG_5002.jpg
      IMG_5002.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 324
    Resurrecting this thread.

Boarder at our horse farm just called and told me a coyote just ran through one of the riding rings and out into the fields. So that will be the first sighting ever for us. We're in Moco just north of Silver Spring.

Is this something DNR should be told about to track their progression into the state?

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Resurrecting this thread.

Boarder at our horse farm just called and told me a coyote just ran through one of the riding rings and out into the fields. So that will be the first sighting ever for us. We're in Moco just north of Silver Spring.

Is this something DNR should be told about to track their progression into the state?

You can call, but they aren't collecting info. They told us they stopped collecting it years ago. They aren't even interested in tracking livestock loss to coyotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom