Ruger Mini 14 (New) - Left Handed Friendly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Hello all,

Resident lefty here. ;)

Has anyone shot a newer Ruger Mini 14 left handed and had any issues with brass deflection into the face or powder burns to the arm or face? I wouldn't think powder because its a piston. But just wanted to check....

Thanks all in advance!

BTW if you are a lefty and want a Ruger PC Carbine, I can confirm they are left handed friendly!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    My dad's a lefty and has fired mine. It'll fling the brass clear over your head and into the next zipcode.

Pope414

Hello all,

Resident lefty here. ;)

Has anyone shot a newer Ruger Mini 14 left handed and had any issues with brass deflection into the face or powder burns to the arm or face? I wouldn't think powder because its a piston. But just wanted to check....

Thanks all in advance!

BTW if you are a lefty and want a Ruger PC Carbine, I can confirm they are left handed friendly!

fellow lefty here!
    SOUTHPAW POWER!!!!:party29:

I also have a hard time with finding good quality guitars ...pisses me off

Last edited:

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    I can’t answer your specific question about the mini-14. But I don’t recall any rifle or shotgun giving me a powder or brass facial that I ever noticed. Maybe I just don’t know any better. Like all lefties, I’ve learned to just deal with it.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    fellow lefty here!
    SOUTHPAW POWER!!!!:party29:

I also have a hard time with finding good quality guitars ...pisses me off

I learned to play guitar righty - which is both an advantage (fretting) and a disadvantage (pattern picking and fingerstyle), so I guess I'm lucky that I don't have that problem.

I can’t answer your specific question about the mini-14. But I don’t recall any rifle or shotgun giving me a powder or brass facial that I ever noticed. Maybe I just don’t know any better. Like all lefties, I’ve learned to just deal with it.

I have found one: My Sub-2000 will turn my face black at the range, lol... No burns or brass hits - just powder residue. Still love it, though - so much fun!

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Hello all,

Resident lefty here. ;)

Thanks all in advance!

Lefty here and own one. No issues at all with regular stock. Years ago pre-Maryland I had a folding stock on one but changed it out. Pivot point on folder interfered with my trigger finger placement. Other than that never had issue with older or newer Mini-14s.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Awesome responses. Thank you so much!

Have a Sub 2K as well, and yeah face full of burn every time.

Even my 10/22 burns my arm and face every once in a while....

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Update!

Found one on Gunbroker and bought it for $719 (tactical version).

Think I did OK.

Took it to the range today.

WHAT A NICE SHOOTING RIFLE. Was very surprised. I thought it would be all full of recoil. But no, just really nice and smooth.

Witnessed the brass throw into the next county so check on that....

It has a gritty creep to resistance but breaks ok. Will look for an upgraded trigger.

Not one complaint with regards to left handed use. Not even oil or grease on my glasses like my ARs and AK does.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Mini-14's are great to shoot. Love the combined action of the bolt and slide. :thumbsup:

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore

Lefties have to learn to adapt to many things throughout life. My uncle would slap the back of my head every time I shouldered a gun on my left shoulder. Now I appreciate what he did, he has saved me a lot of money over the years because I don't have to fork out the big bucks for left handed guns.

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Another Update - Mini 14 LH

Have had the rifle out about 5 times and finally figured out how to get the sites to adjust.

Was shooting Federal brass, and decided to shake it up a bit and buy some Tula steel cased .223 and the Mini gobbled it up without any hesitation.

In fact the groups are tighter with the steel. Which is good, it will be cheaper to feed......

And VERY LH friendly. Like insanely so. Nothing comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom