Would Private Firearm Instruction be a problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Well Spicoli........this is America and since you were a marine you have pretty much earned the right to do whatever you want in this country besides........defile my g/f......litter.......and burn my flag.

If your good at what you do and people want to pay you for it......well sir by all means put your swim cap on and dive in, regardless of what you have heard above (from one or two people I do respect). As long as you are honest about any qualifications you may/may not have then you should be fine. If people don't want to take class up with you until you have qualification then hey that's their loss.

You can get a good look at qualifications by sticking your head up a butchers ass..........wait it's got to be your bull......damnit.

Does my frostburg college degree make me qualified to be a police officer? No it makes me qualified to bong natural light and slay swamp donkeys after 1am, but am I one hell of an officer.....Hell yes!

So do the american thing and get your butt to work teaching people what you love..........and when all else fails.....make them sign a waiver.

Motivational speech out!! Good luck bro!

PipeHitter1316

, , Engage Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Oct 2, 2011
    well from the looks of your screen name i would guess that you were possibly an infantry type! WADDUP BROTHER!! well of course im not trying to blow smoke up anyones butt but youve got to understand that as a military instructor you only come upon military issue weapon systems but heres what ive taught and what weapon systems i can doctor you up on:
    Experience:

=Rifle=
    0933 Combat Marksmanship Coach MOS school attended w/ cert 3 week formal instruction to include qualifacation on both Service Rifle/Pistol. School required a Sharp Shooter score in both rifle and pistol to keep theyre spot in school, (not to toot my own horn) i recieved a expert in both.
    Coached over 200 shooters during theyre annual rifle qual, unit sponsered shooting packages, and informal off duty instruction. All shooters reported a noticable improvement in accuracy through my instruction. I can expertly teach with the following weapon systems and optics:
    -M16A2 (Iron Sights)
    -M16A4 (Iron Sights, RCO(ACOG))
    -M4A1/M4 Carbine (EoTech, RCO, Elcan Spectre DR, Iron Sights)
    25-700 yard distance teachings covering but not limited too:
    -7 basic fundamentals of shooting
    -Combat Mindset
    -Tactical/Speed Reload Techniques
    -CQB Presentation Techniques
    -Shot Placement for effective target engagement
    -Long Range engagement techniques
    -Low light engagments using artificial light or Night Vision Optics
    -Can assess the shooters origin of failure through analysis of both target and shooter during fire. I am a certified instructor on the trijicon Rifle Combat Optics or ACOG with a formal week long course covering:
    -Long and short range engagement techniques with a magnified optic
    -Using the optic for long range target aquisition
    -Utilization of Laser Modules for short and long range engagement with night vision optics

=Pistol=
    Over 100 shooters coached. All shooters reported a noticable improvement in theyre weapons manipulation, speed and accuracy after instruction. All coaching was done at Formal Annual Pistol Qualifacation, Unit Sponsered Shooting packages and Informal Off Duty Instruction. I can expertly teach the following weapon systems:
    -M9/M92fs 9mm
    -M1911A1 .45ACP
    2-50 yard distances teachings covering but not limited too:
    -7 basic Fundamentals of Shooting
    -Tactical/Speed Reloads
    -Combat Mindset
    -Proper Draw from multiple draw points (Flak, Drop leg, belt, concealed open/tucked)
    -Propper Transition from rifle to pistol
    -Close range pistol draw
    -Propper grip and recoil managment
    -Low Light engagement techniques using white light
    -Can assess the shooters origin of failure through analysis of both target and shooter during fire.

=Shotgun=
    No formal school attended for the shotgun but had intense informal instruction from qualified SOF instructor in the beautiful deserts of afghanistan. Weapon manipulated was Benelli M4 12 gauge. Things taught and retained were speed reloads, target and distance engagment techniques (after 25 yards switch to slug for propper engagements), close quarters breaching techniques, less lethal applications.

With all of these weapon systems i have had real world garrison and combat experience. I lead by example so im not going to teach anything that i have not tryed/done myself. I adapt as much as possible to the most up-to-date shooting and manipulation techniques as possible. Although these were all military weapon systems i can adapt them to all sporting and civilian weapon systems because the weapons may change but the fundamentals are all the same. I was not the best shooter in the marine corps. I have never received a range high score. But my experiences with different shooters has given me a rich teaching base in which there are many things ive seen and worked on with all my shooters. When i find something new i can quickly figure out the possible problem and adapt it so he/she can get back on target. If you choose me as an instructor (when i get the certs and everything i need) i promise that i will make you a better shooter and you will take something away from my instruction.

Almost forgot to put the most important thing SAFETY!! I have an imacculate safety record with absolutly no injuries/deaths/negligent discharges/ or MP calls lol. I have kicked people off my range for unsafe conduct but i have never had anything go to far but im sure that every instructor has had onesys and twosys. With that said i do no tolerate unsafe manipulation of ANY weapon system and in the future if you are in my class and i witness an unsafe act you will be dropped from the course with no refund and black listed! Enough said i hope ive made my point.

Last edited:

PipeHitter1316

, , Engage Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Oct 2, 2011
    Well Spicoli........this is America and since you were a marine you have pretty much earned the right to do whatever you want in this country besides........defile my g/f......litter.......and burn my flag.

If your good at what you do and people want to pay you for it......well sir by all means put your swim cap on and dive in, regardless of what you have heard above (from one or two people I do respect). As long as you are honest about any qualifications you may/may not have then you should be fine. If people don't want to take class up with you until you have qualification then hey that's their loss.

You can get a good look at qualifications by sticking your head up a butchers ass..........wait it's got to be your bull......damnit.

Does my frostburg college degree make me qualified to be a police officer? No it makes me qualified to bong natural light and slay swamp donkeys after 1am, but am I one hell of an officer.....Hell yes!

So do the american thing and get your butt to work teaching people what you love..........and when all else fails.....make them sign a waiver.

Motivational speech out!! Good luck bro!

i like your style my friend! and if you ever need a natural light bonging partner.... ill be that guy!!(although i much prefer the coors light bonging):D

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Talk to the owners of the range were you plan to teach your students how to shoot. They will have there own set of guide lines that you must meet in order to us their range for teaching.

Check with the state police. They have firearms instructor credentials as well that might be needed.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Talk to the owners of the range were you plan to teach your students how to shoot. They will have there own set of guide lines that you must meet in order to us their range for teaching.

Check with the state police. They have firearms instructor credentials as well that might be needed.

The MSP will no longer issue the MD CERTIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR card unless you teach for a company that is licensed in MD to provide security services (i.e. armed guards, armored car/truck services, etc). This needs to be done every year.

I was able to get mine renewed after having one of my client companies send a letter to MSP stating I provided training services for thier personnel.

PipeHitter1316

, , Engage Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Oct 2, 2011
    roger so i have to get a cert from the MDPD to teach also? man they dont call it marylandistan for nothing!! i got a long road ahead of me!!

The MSP will no longer issue the MD CERTIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR card unless you teach for a company that is licensed in MD to provide security services (i.e. armed guards, armored car/truck services, etc). This needs to be done every year.

I was able to get mine renewed after having one of my client companies send a letter to MSP stating I provided training services for thier personnel.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    roger so i have to get a cert from the MDPD to teach also? man they dont call it marylandistan for nothing!! i got a long road ahead of me!!

You don't need one from MSP. In fact, you can't get one unless you are working for or contracted to a company that provides armed guards/security services/investigative services.

I was just commenting on the difficulty of getting a MSP Handgun Instructor certification. It has changed dramatically over the past two years.

Masterchief36

Masterchief36
    May 16, 2009
    Va.
    PipeHitter1316 said:
    well from the looks of your screen name i would guess that you were possibly an infantry type! WADDUP BROTHER!! well of course im not trying to blow smoke up anyones butt but youve got to understand that as a military instructor you only come upon military issue weapon systems but heres what ive taught and what weapon systems i can doctor you up on:
    Experience:

=Rifle=
    0933 Combat Marksmanship Coach MOS school attended w/ cert 3 week formal instruction to include qualifacation on both Service Rifle/Pistol. School required a Sharp Shooter score in both rifle and pistol to keep theyre spot in school, (not to toot my own horn) i recieved a expert in both.
    Coached over 200 shooters during theyre annual rifle qual, unit sponsered shooting packages, and informal off duty instruction. All shooters reported a noticable improvement in accuracy through my instruction. I can expertly teach with the following weapon systems and optics:
    -M16A2 (Iron Sights)
    -M16A4 (Iron Sights, RCO(ACOG))
    -M4A1/M4 Carbine (EoTech, RCO, Elcan Spectre DR, Iron Sights)
    25-700 yard distance teachings covering but not limited too:
    -7 basic fundamentals of shooting
    -Combat Mindset
    -Tactical/Speed Reload Techniques
    -CQB Presentation Techniques
    -Shot Placement for effective target engagement
    -Long Range engagement techniques
    -Low light engagments using artificial light or Night Vision Optics
    -Can assess the shooters origin of failure through analysis of both target and shooter during fire. I am a certified instructor on the trijicon Rifle Combat Optics or ACOG with a formal week long course covering:
    -Long and short range engagement techniques with a magnified optic
    -Using the optic for long range target aquisition
    -Utilization of Laser Modules for short and long range engagement with night vision optics

=Pistol=
    Over 100 shooters coached. All shooters reported a noticable improvement in theyre weapons manipulation, speed and accuracy after instruction. All coaching was done at Formal Annual Pistol Qualifacation, Unit Sponsered Shooting packages and Informal Off Duty Instruction. I can expertly teach the following weapon systems:
    -M9/M92fs 9mm
    -M1911A1 .45ACP
    2-50 yard distances teachings covering but not limited too:
    -7 basic Fundamentals of Shooting
    -Tactical/Speed Reloads
    -Combat Mindset
    -Proper Draw from multiple draw points (Flak, Drop leg, belt, concealed open/tucked)
    -Propper Transition from rifle to pistol
    -Close range pistol draw
    -Propper grip and recoil managment
    -Low Light engagement techniques using white light
    -Can assess the shooters origin of failure through analysis of both target and shooter during fire.

=Shotgun=
    No formal school attended for the shotgun but had intense informal instruction from qualified SOF instructor in the beautiful deserts of afghanistan. Weapon manipulated was Benelli M4 12 gauge. Things taught and retained were speed reloads, target and distance engagment techniques (after 25 yards switch to slug for propper engagements), close quarters breaching techniques, less lethal applications.

With all of these weapon systems i have had real world garrison and combat experience. I lead by example so im not going to teach anything that i have not tryed/done myself. I adapt as much as possible to the most up-to-date shooting and manipulation techniques as possible. Although these were all military weapon systems i can adapt them to all sporting and civilian weapon systems because the weapons may change but the fundamentals are all the same. I was not the best shooter in the marine corps. I have never received a range high score. But my experiences with different shooters has given me a rich teaching base in which there are many things ive seen and worked on with all my shooters. When i find something new i can quickly figure out the possible problem and adapt it so he/she can get back on target. If you choose me as an instructor (when i get the certs and everything i need) i promise that i will make you a better shooter and you will take something away from my instruction.

Almost forgot to put the most important thing SAFETY!! I have an imacculate safety record with absolutly no injuries/deaths/negligent discharges/ or MP calls lol. I have kicked people off my range for unsafe conduct but i have never had anything go to far but im sure that every instructor has had onesys and twosys. With that said i do no tolerate unsafe manipulation of ANY weapon system and in the future if you are in my class and i witness an unsafe act you will be dropped from the course with no refund and black listed! Enough said i hope ive made my point.

Most impressive

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Not looking for classes... but maybe we can meet up and swap stories.... Were you 2111 03?

0311 Here for 8 years. Semper Gumby!

Engage Instructor

Industry Partner
    Oct 27, 2011
    It may actually surprise you but i was a Engineer Welder 1316. But with the operational requirements of my unit I never got a chance to do a lot of welding. But I got to participate in a whole bunch of combat training and a combat tour to afghanistan. Had a blast throughout the whole process and learned a whole lot that I am hoping to teach shooters with.

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    I am an NRA training counselor and I can tell you that the NRA does not want instructors teaching private classes. I was told by the folks in the training department that four is the minimum that any one class should have. If you are teaching an NRA class and plan on awarding an NRA certificate to the students then it must be four minimum. They have made exceptions in the past and let others slide but things are changing now.

The NRA is trying to reign in all of the "loose" instruction and questionable teaching that has been going on. All classes are to be taught as per the lesson plans period. If you plan on deviating from it then I would suggest not providing NRA training, rather, come up with your own classes.

Good luck and PM me with questions if you need anything.

Thanks

Phil

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I am an NRA training counselor and I can tell you that the NRA does not want instructors teaching private classes. I was told by the folks in the training department that four is the minimum that any one class should have. If you are teaching an NRA class and plan on awarding an NRA certificate to the students then it must be four minimum. They have made exceptions in the past and let others slide but things are changing now.

The NRA is trying to reign in all of the "loose" instruction and questionable teaching that has been going on. All classes are to be taught as per the lesson plans period. If you plan on deviating from it then I would suggest not providing NRA training, rather, come up with your own classes.

Thanks

Phil

I am an NRA Training Counselor too and Phil is correct. The NRA is cracking down on instructors offering private classes and on classes that do not have a minimum of four students. I know from past experience that you can have 10 students enroll and only have four show up and the NRA does its best to track that by use of its on-line registration system (www.nrainstructors.org).

As Phil said, if you want to offer private training, come up with your own curriculum and class materials. There are plenty of resources to draw from on-line or from talking with other instructors. I know mercop develops all of his courses from scratch to avoid being tied to any organization's restrictions.

Let us know how it works out for you! Just remember that any formal training is better than no training at all!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Thanks

Phil

Why? If instructor X can teach two private students on a Tuesday during the day, when the students have time off, why is that an issue?

Maybe the NRA should realize that not everyone works M-F, 8-4.

Sorry for the hijack.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Why? If instructor X can teach two private students on a Tuesday during the day, when the students have time off, why is that an issue?

Maybe the NRA should realize that not everyone works M-F, 8-4.

Sorry for the hijack.

You might want to direct that question to the NRA and let us know what they say.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    You might want to direct that question to the NRA and let us know what they say.

Who should I contact and is there a memo or other directive that they sent out that I should reference?

The scuba certifying agencies allow instructors to teach private classes and as few as two students. You need two to dive safely according to the agencies... Buddy system.

And before anyone says guns and scuba are not the same, mess up with either and death is the result.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Who should I contact and is there a memo or other directive that they sent out that I should reference?

The scuba certifying agencies allow instructors to teach private classes and as few as two students. You need two to dive safely according to the agencies... Buddy system.

And before anyone says guns and scuba are not the same, mess up with either and death is the result.

You can always contact John Howard (jhoward@nrahq.org) or the training deptment (training@nrahq.org) if you need direct answers.

The Basic Instructor Training manual contains the guideline about the number of students. There have also been e-mails sent to instructors/training counselors over the past year concerning other topics mentioned. You may also want to check the bulletins on www.nrainstructors.org.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom