• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishcrow

May 7, 2013
    Our AC started blowing slightly cool air about 9:00 last night. Is there someone who could come out and check it?

Mrs. Mr H

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Some AC units are designed for a 20 degree difference in temperature from outside temperatures, others up to 30 degrees? Your AC may be working fine. If not:

1. Check that outside unit fan is running and inside unit air is blowing
    2. Change air filters.
    3. Clean outside compressor coils with spray cleaner
    4. Clean internal 'A-Frame' coil with 'spray cleaner'

Expect on hot days that your AC is going to run all day without bringing the temperature down. Set and forget your thermostat temperature during heat waves, don't 'program your thermostat' to come on before you come home from work because it will never 'catch up' until the evening hours.

Just my 2 cents (IANA_AC_TECH)

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Another check: put a kitchen thermometer in a register (where the air comes out in the floor) and measure the temperature. Compare it to the outside temperature. What's the difference? It may be cooling but you may not be getting enough air flow in the house (recently happened to me, I changed the air filters and all is good now. Same thing happened in the refrigerator: wife said fruit was spoiling. Temperature was 50F when it should be about 38F. I look in the fridge and it is jam packed full of food for our guests. The cooling vents were covered up with bread (no air flow)).

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Where are you located.

As mentioned check the outside heat exchange. Make sure it's running.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'll admit my stupidity here.

I know there's a slow coolant leak in the upstairs unit. Charged it in May.
    No trees near hpuse. Wife and kids home keeping both thermos on 74. Units running alot.

Noticed upstairs got up to 85 early this week. Changed filters and maneuvered baffles in attic. No better.

Wednesday finally noticed outside unit mot running.
    Breaker was tripped...but not obvious from a few feet away.
    Duh. I think it must have tripped in a storm and I just assumed since air handler was running...

Good luck.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I just got back home, and can confirm that the outside unit is not running.

At first I thought BG&E might have been 'cycling' us last evening, but I doubt that now that it's not recovered. It's a nearly 30 year-old Trane, so it's possible it's gone ****-in-the-air.

The inside blower is running fine, and is only a couple years old.

I am an electrical weenieboy ;) and if anyone is available to come to Glen Burnie in the next several days and take a peek, it would be helpful.

By no means is this an emergency--we have manymany fans, cars, and cold beverages.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I am an electrical weenieboy ;) and if anyone is available to come to Glen Burnie in the next several days and take a peek, it would be helpful.

Grab a screw driver and head outside. Remove the panel held on by a couple of screws.

A how to check the outside unit:

http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/8fok9-goodman-mini-split-model-msg-18crn1-think.html

if the capacitor is grenaded, get a new one

Bad-AC-Capacitor2.jpg

Mr H

Banana'd
    UPDATE...

Hadn't thought to check the breaker outside (forgot it even existed)...

Was not tripped, but reset it anyway.

When I engaged it, there was a sound from inside the unit, resembling a faint "PTUNK", like it wanted to engage, but couldn't.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I just got back home, and can confirm that the outside unit is not running.

At first I thought BG&E might have been 'cycling' us last evening, but I doubt that now that it's not recovered. It's a nearly 30 year-old Trane, so it's possible it's gone ****-in-the-air.

The inside blower is running fine, and is only a couple years old.

By no means is this an emergency--we have manymany fans, cars, and cold beverages.

Take a long screwdriver and "scoot" outside unit fan. If it starts running it is the capacitor. If the fan won't budge then the motor failed. Both are fairly easy fixes with the right parts.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Take a long screwdriver and "scoot" outside unit fan. If it starts running it is the capacitor. If the fan won't budge then the motor failed. Both are fairly easy fixes with the right parts.

Screwdriver? LOL!! Not taking THAT chance! ;)

Good call, though...

Took a long wooden skewer out, and gave the fan a spin. It is running.

But like I said... I have no stones for anything electrical and unknown.

I pay in .22LR, and/or cash!! Plus a "Liberty is NOT a Loophole!" hat.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Screwdriver? LOL!! Not taking THAT chance! ;)

Good call, though...

Took a long wooden skewer out, and gave the fan a spin. It is running.

But like I said... I have no stones for anything electrical and unknown.

I pay in .22LR, and/or cash!! Plus a "Liberty is NOT a Loophole!" hat.

Haha...skewer was definitely the better choice.

Check and see if it feels cooler after running for a bit. The capacitor will play a role just to get the fan running. If all is well you just need to swap it out. It really is super easy. Just make sure you pull the fuse so you don't get a shock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom