• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -While on the search for a US marked Model 87 Winder Musket for the .22 trainer collection I ran across this uncommon commercial example that was too affordable and interesting to let pass.
    -The Model 87 Winder Musket was built specifically for the US Military as a training rifle from 1917 through mid 1920. 12,735 were produced with 11,419 accepted by the US Military. The martial examples were "US" and flaming bomb marked on the upper tang. Those that didn't go to to the military went to NG, ROTC and USCG units as well as college shooting teams. All would eventually be turned in and sold through the DCM, as I suspect mine was.
    -After the military contract was closed and production was halted in 1920 several hundred were assembled from spares through 1923. The SN on my example shows it was one of these, only 44th from the end of production.
    -Chambered in .22 Short, the low wall Model 87, along with the earlier high and low wall variations, has a reputation as an excellent shooter. The Lyman Model 53 receiver sight certainly aids in that. It's got a nice heavy barrel and balances well. Should be fun at the range!

Attachments

• IMGP8420.JPG
      IMGP8420.JPG
      31.9 KB · Views: 227
    • IMGP8421.JPG
      IMGP8421.JPG
      26 KB · Views: 219
    • IMGP8415.JPG
      IMGP8415.JPG
      58.2 KB · Views: 213
    • IMGP8416.JPG
      IMGP8416.JPG
      27.1 KB · Views: 230
    • IMGP8419.JPG
      IMGP8419.JPG
      76.7 KB · Views: 218
    • IMGP8418.JPG
      IMGP8418.JPG
      27.7 KB · Views: 214

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice, looks like its drilled for a tang sight.

Actually it's in original factory trim. But installing a tang sight is an easy task on these and you do see them all the time paired with a globe front sight. The fact that they're such good shooters made them popular over the years and lots of sight options were offered in the marketplace. I've seen some really nice Winchester A5 scope installations on Winder Muskets that looked great. Here's one from over on Rimfire Central.com.

Attachments

• winder a5.JPG
      winder a5.JPG
      23.4 KB · Views: 175

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I was looking at the small plug screw aft of the hammer which looks like it has been factory provided.
    The image you provided of the telescope equipped rifle looks to be a dandy shooter, what more could you ask for a more pleasant way of relaxation and fun.
    What sort of butt swivel is fitted to your rifle, is it very much like a milled 03/krag version or is it an entirely different design.
    What ever it is, its good to see an example of a rifle that was from the days of a different discipline. The front band looks like its designed to work well with a sling, sturdy and well fit.
    It's hard to imagine what is considered a well made arm in today's world vs an example like that.
    It would be nice to have a transit box made for things like that. For range trips, general transport or even for display purposes if you ever show your pieces around.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Winder sling swivels would work well for a 1907 or Kerr sling. I've been slowly learning about single shot Model 1886 Winchesters and am so impressed with what they were/are capable of. Another amazing JM Browning design! Will most certainly be keeping an eye out for other single shot muskets!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Spent the day in Gettysburg as Bucky was getting groomed. Stopped by Redding Hardware and grabbed a 100 round box of Match Short .22 for the Winder. The one and only firearm I own chambered for .22 Short.
    BTW, read last night that some Model 87 Winders were rechambered for .22 Long but they were a disappointment as the twist rate was optimized for .22 Short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom