• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I was waiting for some smart ass to post this:

"My question is this. What is the legality of some upstanding citizen popping some cats with a .177 varmint round from a break barrel pellet rifle?"

You guys have failed me!

From a farmer perspective not effective against feral's that won't let you get close. .22 break barrel will put a hurting on them but not DRT either. 22LR on the other hand they don't go far. 17 HMR is very, very effective but messy. They fall under the no season predator clause versus livestock.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    MoCo will prosecute, if you are found out

I observed this case in the District Court for Montgomery County, Silver Spring location:

Ex-military guy had a coi pond in his back yard. There was some hawk, which kept coming back for a meal. The guy took a .45 and shot the bird, which was sitting on a tree limb. It was from a pretty impressive distance. I don't remember the distance, but I remember being very impressed at this marksmanship.

As I recall, he got a PBJ, and a small fine. He had to obtain counsel, so it cost him the equivalent of many, many replacement coi.

Replace coi for cats, and hawk for fox. Similar case, albeit with a .45.

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    Am I reading this correctly? I'm not trying to get in your face but what the heck? You want to kill wild animals, so you can likely break the law and let your cats roam unmolested at night, is that right? For someone to kill wild animals just to protect their pets who shouldn't be left outside to begin with is rather belligerent. Foxes around my land at night don't cause problems, CATS DO! Foxes help control the rabbit population and other small problematic creatures, CATS DON’T!

If you own pets, they are your responsibility, not ours. Pet owners have no right to impose their pet problems on others and to do so is inconsiderate, arrogant and highly provocative. There are about 80+ million owned cats and about 40+ million feral cats killing about 2.4 billion birds annually in America. When you let your cats out at night, what do you think they are doing? Be a good neighbor and citizen and keep your cats indoors as they are your pets, not the community’s.

Listen man,
    I get what you're saying, but these cats are my wife's babies. As far as I know it's not illegal to let a cat outside in moco, and if it is for some reason it's an unenforced law.

My neighbors do not mind the cats as they help with the rabbit and mouse population in the neighborhood.

I didn't post to debate the ethics of outdoor cats, but simply the legality of killing the fox.

Any personal opinions on outdoor cats are unnecessary and a moot point.

Thanks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Listen man,
    I get what you're saying, but these cats are my wife's babies. As far as I know it's not illegal to let a cat outside in moco, and if it is for some reason it's an unenforced law.

My neighbors do not mind the cats as they help with the rabbit and mouse population in the neighborhood.

I didn't post to debate the ethics of outdoor cats, but simply the legality of killing the fox.

Thanks

One day they might not return.

Every time you let them roam free, you roll the dice.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just wait until the little old lady down the street catches one of those cats with a Robin in it's mouth and bashes his skull in

I've heard of something like that more than once.

Another one is something along the lines of a crazy cat lady "rescuing" feral cats to take home with here.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Listen man,

Thanks
    This is MDS. Post about chocolate, you get responses about saffron.

You do take a chance letting the cats outside.

IF, I were in your shoes, and a fox was threatening my cats, well ......

A wise old owl sat in an oak
    The more he saw, the less he spoke
    The less he spoke, the more he heard
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird

Ed Giacomin would save the cats.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Cats will be cats and the fox has got to feed her kits.... coyote urine markers can work to help define proper territories.

To help reinforce proper territories.....A good varmint/pest non-lethal option can be a paint ball gun.....(colorful .68cal water-based paint projectiles flying at 300ft/sec and a good 80-100ft range). Pretty good dissuasion tool.
    Add Capsaicin pepper balls for ammo if you want to ratchet up the seriousness.... otherwise let nature figure it out.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    I'm not a lawyer but I lived in MoCo for a while and also lived in Rockville for a few brief months. The person I was living with had a feral cat.

Montgomery County has a feral cat policy. Basically your cat cant trespass on private property without permission of the property owner and the cat owner must not allow a cat to defecate on property outside your own property. $100 fine first offense, $500 for each subsequent event.

Since Rockville is in an "Urban area" the discharge of a firearm is only permissible under certain exceptions. Killing a dangerous animal is one exception. I have no idea what the definition of a "dangerous animal" is in MoCo and I have no idea if a fox threatening cats qualifies, my guess is unlikely since MoCo humane society offers guidance in this area. Their guidance on fox interaction with cats is to keep the cat indoors.

To discharge a bow within an urban area you have to be 100y from a dwelling or have written permission from the occupant.

You are in MoCo MD, before you do anything I would call animal control and get their guidance on the fox and your cats. Remember MoCo has a law or regulation covering damn near everything.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I live in moco outside of the "urban area". You are inside the urban area. So for you, firing a pellet gun outside in your yard is illegal and the same under the law as discharging a firearm.

The law also says, and I know this as fact, as long as you scream "It's coming right for us!!" first, it is then perfectly legal to shoot the fox.

I am very obviously not a lawyer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom