• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There are some topics that have some differences of opinion, but there seems to be a HUGE range of opinions when it comes to the max magnification required for a 22LR punching paper at 100 yards. I have seen some advocate for 18X and more. I have seen others say anything over 9X will do more harm than good at that range.

What do you guys think?

bmeek

Jan 24, 2013
    If it is just punching paper then I see no reason to not have a variable that can do a broad range of magnification. The Weaver V series 6x24 is a decent inexpensive scope that I use on one of my paper punchers. I can see the holes at 100 yards easily, which is nice.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I went 4-12 vortex diamondback tactical after a ton of research/debating what I really wanted. This was for a subsonic only rifle so I didn't need anything for over 100 yds or so plus I wanted the ability to dial in drop with the exposed knobs.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    That may work if the OP has a spare Sherman he can park on his rifle to keep it from moving.

Not nearly that bad at all. I test loads at 100 yards cranked to 40 power, no big deal.

Can you shoot 1000 yards with a 4x scope, sure you can. Can you shoot 50 yards at 40x, yep.

If your trying to shoot precision stuff, more magnification the better. Really depends on the purpose of the gun.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    2-7x Leupold VX2 here. Magnification is not a substitute for good glass. If 7x of good glass is not enough for 100 yards, invest in good eyeglasses first. You only need 18x at 100 yards if the glass is drinking-grade.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Lots of the 22 benchrest guys run 50 power

I believe the bolded portion is the key to answer your question. The right max. magnification depends on your intended use. If shooting benchrest is your game, you can go to a much higher magnification than if you're shooting 3 Position. 50X isn't out of the question at all when the rifle it locked to an immovable bench. OTOH, position shooting is a very difference game and off-hand is the worst. As noted above, even at 50 yds, the reticle will be dancing at 3x or 4x.

JoeR

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Not nearly that bad at all. I test loads at 100 yards cranked to 40 power, no big deal.

Can you shoot 1000 yards with a 4x scope, sure you can. Can you shoot 50 yards at 40x, yep.

If your trying to shoot precision stuff, more magnification the better. Really depends on the purpose of the gun.

Are you securing your rifle in some kind of cradle/sled to keep it stabilized?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I can't run higher than 12x unless the rifle is heavily weighed down or bolted to a table. That kind of setup doesn't interest me at all.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Are you securing your rifle in some kind of cradle/sled to keep it stabilized?

Depends on what you define as cradle/sled....target fun sits in a tripod front rest and a rear bag.

I can throw any rifle on a bipod and rear bag and be fine at 24x.

My 22lr is a hunting rifle and sports a 2-7 scope. I have another one that has a 4-16x that I've shot at 300 yards.

Boils down to purpose

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I can't run higher than 12x unless the rifle is heavily weighed down or bolted to a table. That kind of setup doesn't interest me at all.

So it looks like everyone is pretty where I am on this subject; I just did not want to say that up front :) I was thinking 7X is sufficient; 12X max.

I can see the benchshooters point of view, but I am more of a plinker.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    So it looks like everyone is pretty where I am on this subject; I just did not want to say that up front :) I was thinking 7X is sufficient; 12X max.

I can see the benchshooters point of view, but I am more of a plinker.

The rimfire benchrest guys aside, cuz that's a whole different animal....

If your idea of plinking is offhand shooting at soup cans or similar size targets at 25-100 yards, the lower magnification scopes are your friend. Now if you're plinking at empty shot shell hulls or similar size targets off a bench with the stability of a front and rear bag, you'll likely find yourself being glad for all of 12x.

I have a CZ455 Varmint that I like to shoot a lot of different ways. I have a Leupold VX-2 4x12x40 AO with a fine duplex reticle on that rifle. All scopes are compromises, but I've found that this scope and rifle combo, for what I do with it, offers a lot of versatility.

Just one other thought in passing with .22 scopes. I used to be a "it's just a .22" guy in my younger days, and would scope my rimfires accordingly. Then I figured out later on that I shoot .22 a helluva lot, as compared to individual centerfires that I might own.

My point is, figure out your most frequent uses for your .22, and then put a decent optic on it to suit your game. You'll likely use your rifle often enough, and in enough different ways, to justify buying clarity and repeatable quality.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My general inclinations are for lower magnification than presently in vogue . I like field of view and tolerence in eye relief.

Also after a certain point , the quality of the glass and coatings makes more difference than additional magnification.

But yes , pure benchrest is a different situation .

All the above doesn't give an explicit answer yet. I will observe that , to me , a 3-9x IS a specialized high magnification set up , not an all around .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Remember, the rifles moves around just as much at 2x as 50x. It is just that at 50x, you can see the movement.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I currently have a Litscher Eagle 15X on my Win 52B, and a Redfield 3200 24X on my H&R M12. I’m thinking of putting the Redfield in the 52 this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom